• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Creation vs Evolution

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
So I was having lunch with my grandmother on Saturday and she asked me if I was reading any good books lately. I told her about this book I'm reading called A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, which is about the history of science, physics and many other things including evolution. She gave me a funny look when I said evolution and asked me "Do you believe in that stuff?" I said sure I do and she just about clocked me in the head. Apparently she doesn't believe in evolution. I didn't even think it was an issue anymore, yet here, even in my own family, there is still people who still believe in Adam and Eve.

Have you ever run into a hardcore Creationist or are you even one yourself? What would make someone still hold on to that belief despite all the physical evidence to the contrary?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Crazlegs

TRIBE Member
My grandmother is a hardcore catholic. I made the mistake of bringing up gay marriage. She freaked out big time and basically told me I was heading straight for hell. I will never ever talk about religious issues in her presence again.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Creation vs Evolution

Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
Dinosaur bones?
What does that have to do with anything? If anything dinosuars prove the flood theroy as acruate which if acutrate would throw off any carbon dating.never mind I forsee this thread going into flame hell :)

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
I am getting my master's degree in science and one of the guys i worked with (he has since graduated), blurted out at lunch one day that he believed in creationism and not evolution. He said that there wasnt convincing evidence for either and he choose to go with his faith. I couldnt belive it, someone in science that belived in creationism. Needless to say this sparked many many lunch time debates.

So yes i guess there are still people who believe in it.

~atp~

TRIBE Member

Have you ever run into a hardcore Creationist or are you even one yourself? What would make someone still hold on to that belief despite all the physical evidence to the contrary?

This is a good thread, it's just too bad it comes up every week or so like clockwork. We need it to be sticky. Alexd? ;)

Monsieur Funk MD, Creationism isn't about science. It's about religion: fundamentalist Christians are desperate to keep the creation of mankind as close to the version in the Bible, in that God crafted both Adam and Eve. The idea that humans could have come from another lifeform is simply blasphemous to them, and threatens their understanding of the Bible.

So these crazy fuckers (Creationists) came up with a plan to attack the evolutionists by creating a "Science" that refutes evolutionary theory and validates the story of the Bible...problem is, there is no real science behind it. ;)

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Creation vs Evolution

Originally posted by Hi i'm God
What does that have to do with anything? If anything dinosuars prove the flood theroy as acruate which if acutrate would throw off any carbon dating.never mind I forsee this thread going into flame hell :)

According my my gramma I'm already going to a flaming hell so one more shouldn't bother me.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Creation and evolution theories could plausibly work together if God were a woman and kept changing her mind.

"I think I like it like this.. no, that's no good, how about if I make it walk on two legs? Better.."

Adam

TRIBE Member
This has got to be the issue where people tend to blatantly ignore all scientific evidence the most when forming their own opinion.

It is scientifically, irrefutably proven that organisms evolve*. To deny this is to ignore proven fact. It has been observed in our lifetime.

* the timo clause: as much as we can "prove" or "know" anything, given the limitations of our monkey brains

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Re: Re: Creation vs Evolution

Originally posted by ~atp~
Monsieur Funk MD, Creationism isn't about science. It's about religion: fundamentalist Christians are desperate to keep the creation of mankind as close to the version in the Bible, in that God crafted both Adam and Eve. The idea that humans could have come from another lifeform is simply blasphemous to them, and threatens their understanding of the Bible.

So these crazy fuckers (Creationists) came up with a plan to attack the evolutionists by creating a "Science" that refutes evolutionary theory and validates the story of the Bible...problem is, there is no real science behind it. ;)

Yeah but my gramma isn't a crazed nut. She can be a very reasonable person who just happens to believe we all come from the same mother and father. I can understand that if you're a religious zealot you'd have much to loose if you let the people believe we're all super intellegent apes but for those who have no agenda and must have read a book or two in their life, why would you still believe the stories you were told as a kid as hard fact? I just wonder what's going on inside that persons head.

Adam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hi i'm God
Funny, Evolutionsist I find are the most Zelous Religions around.

"Those people that believe in creationism . . . ever notice, they look kind of unevolved? They look like they were thrown together in seven days" - Bill Hicks, RIP

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Creation vs Evolution

Yeah but my gramma isn't a crazed nut. She can be a very reasonable person who just happens to believe we all come from the same mother and father. I can understand that if you're a religious zealot you'd have much to loose if you let the people believe we're all super intellegent apes but for those who have no agenda and must have read a book or two in their life, why would you still believe the stories you were told as a kid as hard fact? I just wonder what's going on inside that persons head.

I know your gramma isn't a nut. :)

In her case, she's probably had that idea reinforced by clergy members or pastors. Many adults believe this silly theory and if someone you respect and trust tells you that there's overwhelming evidence for the Creationism theory, you might be inclined to believe it. This is especially true with religion because of how important it is to distinguish between a "believer" and a "non-believer". Trust me, I grew up in a religious home, I've heard/seen/experienced all the bullshit.

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LeoGirl
why can't people just be open to the idea of both.

Because religion and science serve the same purpose in life, to explain the unknown. Religion (for some people) fills in the blanks that science has yet to prove or define.

Jazz

TRIBE Member
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

how are you finding it? ... it was interesting, but i didn't really find it that challenging... sort of like reading a really well written highschool text book...

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LeoGirl
why can't people just be open to the idea of both.

Why the hell should I be open to the idea that some being, existing to me only within the pages of a book, created the Earth* and humans within the past 10,000 years?

They can believe whatever the hell they want within the confines of their church and/or homes, but I'm in no way going to tolerate that kind of insanity in public.

* - Some proponents argue differently, based on the meaning of "day" in Hebrew...

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Creation vs Evolution

Originally posted by ~atp~
I know your gramma isn't a nut. :)

In her case, she's probably had that idea reinforced by clergy members or pastors. Many adults believe this silly theory and if someone you respect and trust tells you that there's overwhelming evidence for the Creationism theory, you might be inclined to believe it. This is especially true with religion because of how important it is to distinguish between a "believer" and a "non-believer". Trust me, I grew up in a religious home, I've heard/seen/experienced all the bullshit.
How is that any diffrent then a Favorite proffesor or some guys that wrote a book for profit?!

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
DarwinFishLicensePlate.jpg