• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

crazy old man spying on Queen's students

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Was just reading the site again. Interesting. But Alot of references to taxpayers money being wasted.

But in effect. These kids put tons of money into the kingston economy, so can't really complain about city resources being utilized like this.

Also, the whole anti extreme party vibe was sort of killed at YorkU. Back in 99-01 it was a hayday. I think every college had a pub going and every thursday was an absolute blast. Now with the younger kids going there and they have since almost shut down all pubs on campus maybe save the underground. It's so boring! Not like it used to be for sure (in a social regard) but, I guess the sign of the times changing.

These sort of things in Kingston maybe will get the same treatment in the years to come.
 

Maui

TRIBE Member
JamesM said:
Was just reading the site again. Interesting. But Alot of references to taxpayers money being wasted.

But in effect. These kids put tons of money into the kingston economy, so can't really complain about city resources being utilized like this.

Also, the whole anti extreme party vibe was sort of killed at YorkU. Back in 99-01 it was a hayday. I think every college had a pub going and every thursday was an absolute blast. Now with the younger kids going there and they have since almost shut down all pubs on campus maybe save the underground. It's so boring! Not like it used to be for sure (in a social regard) but, I guess the sign of the times changing.

These sort of things in Kingston maybe will get the same treatment in the years to come.
Nobody goes to the actual campus bars at Queen's except nerds. The thing is the campus is right beside downtown Kingston. And in between downtown and the campus is the student ghetto. Nobody ever really needs to leave this bubble for the entire 4 years your in the city. I mean literally, I don't think I did more than 3 or 4 times.
From what I've seen of other schools/universities, most are not confined with that many students in such a small space. All those old school houses allow for a lot of people to be living in each house also.
Anyway, I thought Queen's students were crazy until a group of guys came to visit from Western. Now they were outta control. lol
 

AshG

Member
i say good on the students for living the dream, and fuck all y'all who should godamn well know better for living in a neighbourhood populated almost exclusively by university students. grow the fuck up and realize it sometimes just ain't about your back yard.

oh yeah, and fight the power!
 

AshG

Member
Maui said:
Nobody goes to the actual campus bars at Queen's except nerds. The thing is the campus is right beside downtown Kingston. And in between downtown and the campus is the student ghetto. Nobody ever really needs to leave this bubble for the entire 4 years your in the city. I mean literally, I don't think I did more than 3 or 4 times.
From what I've seen of other schools/universities, most are not confined with that many students in such a small space. All those old school houses allow for a lot of people to be living in each house also.
Anyway, I thought Queen's students were crazy until a group of guys came to visit from Western. Now they were outta control. lol
i enjoyed Clark fridays, Alfies on occasion Thursdays, Saturdays, and to a lesser extent Fridays, and the QP was a fucking disaster(in a good way) the last year i was there. good times!
 

Maui

TRIBE Member
AshG said:
i enjoyed Clark fridays, Alfies on occasion Thursdays, Saturdays, and to a lesser extent Fridays, and the QP was a fucking disaster(in a good way) the last year i was there. good times!
Again Mike, like I said, "Nobody goes to the actual campus bars at Queen's except nerds". :p

Not that there is anything wrong with being a nerd. I actually went to one pub on campus, i forget the name now, to meet an odd bunch of the international socialists in the basement where we would discuss revolutions and such.
 

AshG

Member
Maui said:
Again Mike, like I said, "Nobody goes to the actual campus bars at Queen's except nerds". :p

Not that there is anything wrong with being a nerd. I actually went to one pub on campus, i forget the name now, to meet an odd bunch of the international socialists in the basement where we would discuss revolutions and such.
:p

Vote Quimby said:
Is the halfway house still on Aberdeen? Or did they finally move it out of the ghetto?
halfway house?!
i lived at a place on aberdeen that looked vaguely sinister, which we affectionately christened 'the cell block', but then again it might have been hard to distinguish a halfway house from the other buildings.
 

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
AshG said:
:p



halfway house?!
i lived at a place on aberdeen that looked vaguely sinister, which we affectionately christened 'the cell block', but then again it might have been hard to distinguish a halfway house from the other buildings.
The halfway house on the corner of William and Aberdeen is now just a regular student house... although the steel bars on the windows and the auto-locking door are still in use.

Putting a halfway house in the ghetto makes a perfect environment for rehabilitating sex offenders and B&E specialists.

And Spence, thanks for posting your e-mail correspondence with Don. Although he has some good points I think his methods for trying to resolve his concerns border on harassment and could certainly be considered and invasion of privacy. He was quoted in the local paper saying that he 'hides in the bushes, recording audio and video'. I think it is only a matter of time until he is accused of being a peeping tom or someone jumps him.

Oh well. I'm sure the keg parties and good times will survive.
 

acheron

TRIBE Member
correct

http://www.queensu.ca/alumni/programs/events/springreunions.html

Principal Williams' report on the future of Homecoming.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dear Alumni,

I am writing to tell you about a difficult decision that I have made with respect to the Fall Homecoming.

As many of you know, Homecoming weekend for the past 4 years has been the occasion of a large and growing unsanctioned student gathering on Aberdeen Street – a small street located off campus in the student village. Numbers associated with this event have ranged from 5,000 to 10,000. This year’s event was the largest yet and resulted in an unprecedented number of police charges, arrests, violent incidents and injuries.

Since 2005, the University community, including faculty, staff, students and alumni, have worked in collaboration with City of Kingston officials and law enforcement agencies in an effort to contain this volatile situation. Despite our best efforts, the situation has worsened. The unsanctioned gathering has come to be seen by many as a “tradition” whose timing is associated with Queen’s Homecoming.

Concerns for safety have been mounting steadily and are now at a critical point. After broad consultation with faculty, staff, students, alumni, parents and groups who comprise the Queen’s family, the Town/Gown Aberdeen working group, the Police, the hospitals, Fire and Rescue and legal experts, there is broad agreement that a new course of action is required.

I have therefore reached a very difficult decision: the University will not be hosting its Fall Homecoming Weekend for a minimum period of 2 years, beginning with the Homecoming of Fall 2009.

This decision has not easily been reached. I have seen first-hand the joy that alumni feel in returning to campus in the fall and I have joined in the excitement of the half-time parade at Richardson Stadium. I will feel the loss of these experiences very personally and in an effort to continue this time-honored and valued tradition the University will hold a homecoming-styled Spring Reunion Weekend in May (May 22 -24) 2009, that will include class reunions, MiniU and the Tricolour Guard dinner.

Queen’s alumni are an invaluable source of strength for this University. Your loyalty is what sets us apart from many others. I am calling on you now to make this sacrifice, because I am persuaded that something very precious and fragile is at risk: our hard-won reputation as a University that defines standards of excellence that respects the neighbourhood in which we live, and that cares about each member of our learning community.

I welcome your input on how to make the spring event the best possible occasion for alumni.

I can be reached by email at principal@queensu.ca or by regular mail.

Sincerely,
Tom Williams
Principal and Vice-Chancellor
 
Last edited:

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
Dear Alumni,

I am writing to tell you about a difficult decision that I have made with respect to the Fall Homecoming.

As many of you know, Homecoming weekend for the past 4 years has been the occasion of a large and growing unsanctioned student gathering on Aberdeen Street – a small street located off campus in the student village. Numbers associated with this event have ranged from 5,000 to 10,000. This year’s event was the largest yet and resulted in an unprecedented number of police charges, arrests, violent incidents and injuries.

Since 2005, the University community, including faculty, staff, students and alumni, have worked in collaboration with City of Kingston officials and law enforcement agencies in an effort to contain this volatile situation. Despite our best efforts, the situation has worsened. The unsanctioned gathering has come to be seen by many as a “tradition” whose timing is associated with Queen’s Homecoming.

Concerns for safety have been mounting steadily and are now at a critical point. After broad consultation with faculty, staff, students, alumni, parents and groups who comprise the Queen’s family, the Town/Gown Aberdeen working group, the Police, the hospitals, Fire and Rescue and legal experts, there is broad agreement that a new course of action is required.

I have therefore reached a very difficult decision: the University will not be hosting its Fall Homecoming Weekend for a minimum period of 2 years, beginning with the Homecoming of Fall 2009.

This decision has not easily been reached. I have seen first-hand the joy that alumni feel in returning to campus in the fall and I have joined in the excitement of the half-time parade at Richardson Stadium. I will feel the loss of these experiences very personally and in an effort to continue this time-honored and valued tradition the University will hold a homecoming-styled Spring Reunion Weekend in May (May 22 -24) 2009, that will include class reunions, MiniU and the Tricolour Guard dinner.

Queen’s alumni are an invaluable source of strength for this University. Your loyalty is what sets us apart from many others. I am calling on you now to make this sacrifice, because I am persuaded that something very precious and fragile is at risk: our hard-won reputation as a University that defines standards of excellence that respects the neighbourhood in which we live, and that cares about each member of our learning community.


I welcome your input on how to make the spring event the best possible occasion for alumni.

I can be reached by email at principal@queensu.ca or by regular mail.


Sincerely,


Tom Williams
Principal and Vice-Chancellor
 

m0ff

TRIBE Member
Caz said:
Won't people just party in the street anyway, regardless of what the school decides?

I guess...but with this announcement Queen's has effectively washed it's hands clean of any activities which could still take place on what would usually be the Homecoming weekend.
 

Caz

TRIBE Member
m0ff said:
I guess...but with this announcement Queen's has effectively washed it's hands clean of any activities which could still take place on what would usually be the Homecoming weekend.
Seems like this move has the potential to make the situation worse for old man whatever his name, not better.
 

acheron

TRIBE Member
m0ff said:
I guess...but with this announcement Queen's has effectively washed it's hands clean of any activities which could still take place on what would usually be the Homecoming weekend.
They could come but there will be no sanctioned events anywhere on campus ie. nothing to 'do' officially. That includes anything run by the student associations, the frats or the co-ops. So they'd basically have no excuses if and when the cops (not just campus cops) came by to arrest them for unlawful assembly or drunken disorderly, etc... the veil of academic frivolity would be lifted.
 

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Caz said:
Won't people just party in the street anyway, regardless of what the school decides?
I don't think so. The cops will be out in full strict, since there is no city collaboration (containment, monitoring, etc)
 

JamesM

TRIBE Member
well students. If they had any sort of reserve, they would have put two and two together long ago.

trashing neighborhoods and partying with little to no respect = shutdown.

seen the gradual pub night, frosh week partying get slowly shutdown over a couple years at York (I said this many times here) but still. Almost, the same deal.
 
Top