• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

crazy old man spying on Queen's students

scruffy1

TRIBE Member

I'm curious what other people think about this guy, Don Rogers, who is going around the Queen's student ghetto taking photos of students with the hopes that this will create a positive change. He's admitted to hiding in bushes around houses to capture audio and video although he seems unable to upload these recordings to the net.

Check out his website at http://saveourneighbourhood.ca/

I'd like to hear others thoughts about this.

Unethical?
Invasion of privacy?
Totally acceptable?
Weird and creepy?

JamesM

TRIBE Member
just sounds like your typical nosy neighbor.

I'm from kingston originally. And the kids are getting way out of control. During homecoming i hear it's almost standard to be flipping cars, and all sorts of lame shit.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Alright. Let me get this straight: are university students drinking and having fun now? What is the world coming to!

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
"get off my law you kids"

Drinking and University go together like PB and J. Always have, always will.

Move out of the ghetto is ya don't like it.

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
scruffy1 is back... I have been lurking for a while but decided to check what tribers thought of this. It may as well be called QHSBBQWTF (Queen's Homecoming Student BBQ WTF).

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Are you kidding, move out of the ghetto? Its a fucking neighbourhood, the man has every right to live there as they do.

How is the site creepy? The man is trying to raise some awarness who live in Kingston all year, and not just temp as most students there, are voicing.

From the looks of it, and sounds of it, and having grown up in Kingston, he has every right to voice his concern. The City is out of control during homecoming, and I would hate to live near, or in any area where there is a lot of residences filled with students during that time.

If they cant party responsibly then they shouldn't party. I cant believe I just said this.

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
ChrisD said:
If they cant party responsibly then they shouldn't party. I cant believe I just said this.
me either. we must be getting really old.

next up, no all night 'raver' parties for the youngin's

ha

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Seriously. Makes you contrast our own frosh week parties. (and boy where there)

But being completely idiotic within the city neighborhoods. man. They all march down near our house during the homecoming game. In the past it has been awesome with bagpipes and parades. But I guess nowadays it's more just annoying kids vandalizing shit.

OutcastTO

TRIBE Member
ChrisD said:
Are you kidding, move out of the ghetto? Its a fucking neighbourhood, the man has every right to live there as they do.

You are right he does. But when everybody and anybody who has ever been to Kingston knows that the ghetto is where kids are going to party and make noise while they are in school, this guys should accept it or move. It hasn't changed since before I went to University and apparently it hasn't changed since then.

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
My mom just bought a house in Portsmouth. I like it, nice part of town. I live near St. Mary's so I get to hear the football games, the parades and every now and then get treated to some drunkard walking down my street at 2am singing. To be honest though, I love living right near the university. It's why I chose to live where I do.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
ChrisD said:
The City is out of control during homecoming, and I would hate to live near, or in any area where there is a lot of residences filled with students during that time.
If by 'The City' you mean one street being out of control then I guess you're right. If these kids aren't doing anything criminal and the police do not see a reason to get involved, Johnny Justice and his snoop campaign needs to fuck right off. If I lived on the street I would there with a camera documenting his him right back.

spaboy

TRIBE Member
Bass-Invader said:
if he moved in recently then okay, but if he's been there for like 50 years i don't think that's right.
What about ppl who have been living in an area for 50 yrs and then it gets ghetto? Bitch and complain about the area getting run down & becoming dangerous?

That's not right either but thems the brakes with real estate. Neighborhoods change.

Good for him that he's trying to do something about it though vs just bitchin

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Good for him? Hiding in bushes and documenting what looks like a totally standard party? How fucking old and boring are you people?

JamesM

TRIBE Member
nice, yeah the homecoming march always ends up at the portsmouth tavern every year. It has been awesome with bagpipers galore etc in the neighborhood.

I think it's more or less like that now still. Not sure. But it's definately more people with less respect. Like just ditching beer cans everywhere. etc. I have heard some bad stories though out of homecoming but that's just word of mouth. So can't get too upset. But I see where this guy is coming from with the pics etc. Kingston is usually championed for being a sort of nice, quiet place.