• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Craziest, most dangerous place(s) you've been

Stop Bill C-10

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I wound up at a "fundraiser" at comfort zone once by accident. Turns out it was a fundraiser for biker legal fees. Hells/satans/rock machine/paradice all in the same venue in full colours. Fortunately I ran into a friend there that to my surprise happened to belong to one of the groups so I wasn't there as an outsider.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
I wound up at a "fundraiser" at comfort zone once by accident. Turns out it was a fundraiser for biker legal fees. Hells/satans/rock machine/paradice all in the same venue in full colours. Fortunately I ran into a friend there that to my surprise happened to belong to one of the groups so I wasn't there as an outsider.

At first I thought you were being funny but I know you were being serious. Could have been a bad one. What time of the day? Music?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
At first I thought you were being funny but I know you were being serious. Could have been a bad one. What time of the day? Music?

It was a weekend night, I would say '98-'99 time period. My buddy was going through the eye magazine and found a short ad for "fundraiser- Headstones" so we decided to check it out. When we got there there was a big biker guy at the door. Didn't think much about it. Big biker guy at the door sounds like a pretty typical bouncer type. He asked us what we were doing there and we told him we were coming for the show. Seemed kind of odd that he'd ask. He told us to "go wait over there" and so we did. Maybe the doors weren't open yet. A few other "normal" people came and got the same treatment and left. I guess that was supposed to be our chance to run away. Anyhoo, we stuck it out and a few minutes later the bouncer comes over to us and says we can come in. Got inside and everyone looked like the guy at the door. I fit in pretty well in my snazzy queen west club clothes.

Well, we'd paid our cover and decided to stick it out. Lots of looks but no confrontations. Then my friend from work showed up- that was the guy that was in one of the groups. He always had stories to tell about the crazy shit he'd gotten up to over the weekend and I always brushed him off as full of shit. Hmm. Maybe rethink that. He asked who we were there with and being naive and very bright about such things told him we were there by ourselves, did we need to be with anyone? He said we were with him now and that was that. One of his friends came by and shared some of her hash with us that was strong enough to make me want to sit down and then asked us if we were going to be cops when we grew up. haha. The show was good. We stayed to the end and when we left there were like 12 cruisers waiting in the circle to the north just waiting for shit to go down. I don't think anything ever did though. Kind of silly to blow your legal fund paying for legal fees from the fundraiser!

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
I live in Saskatoon. We lead the country in crime per capita. There are articles this week in the papers about recent immigrants from Pakistan moving back because they felt safer there than in Saskatoon. Does this count?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

djfear

TRIBE Member
This isn't a "place" per se, but it will always stick in my mind.

When I first immigrated to Canada (to be a successful tax paying citizen - who knew? Immi-gants, amirite?), my family landed in MTL and then took a small plane to Ottawa.

And I mean a small plane. Very small. The interior was made out of steel or something, because it was like a cargo plane. Anyway, when we were approaching Ottawa the engines just TURNED OFF. I was what... 6 years old? But we all remember it the same way to this day. They just turned off and the loud hum went silent for about 3-5 seconds and we were just floating in air, and then they turned back on again. I will always remember that as a moment where I nearly died, though I'm sure it was some routine thing and the pilots knew what the fuck they were doing.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Here's another one.

In 2012 I was in Ladakh, one of the most beautiful places on earth. My cousin, a friend, and myself were doing an 18 day trek, and we had a pony man, cook, and a guide. We also had 6 horses.

We were somewhere around Kharnak valley and we setup camp (somewhere around day 9). The 3 of us went to go check out this abandoned nomadic village that's used for herding goats. As we were heading back to camp I looked down the valley and saw 3 animals heading our way, far far away. As they got closer I noticed they were canines... aaaaaaand.... yep - wolves.

Big fucking wolves. Himalayan wolves. Jesus christ there are wolves coming towards us and the camp. Will they go for us? Will they go for the horses? What did we have on us? DSLRs and there were some big rocks around. That's it.

So I yell to my cousin and the wolves end up doing a 90 degree turn away from us, I guess because they heard that we were there and they generally stay away from humans.

We ran back to camp and kept an eye on the wolves as they ran up a valley. They were just insanely fast even when they were trotting about. Imagine a large dog running at full speed, this is how these wolves trotted. After we got back to camp I told my guide & cook and they said that the wolves were hunting for marmots. My guide wanted to see where they went so he decided to go up on the hill to go take a look. I decided to come along, so I armed myself with a small gerber knife, my dslr, and my trekking pole, lol.

We didn't end up seeing them but it was one of those moments where a hungry wolf pack could have smoked us easily. Luckily there were only 3 of them.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure my wife and I stumbled into a Triad run Mahjong parlor. They were VERY unhappy to see two white people walk in. Enough to flash some pretty scary looking hardware.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
I inadvertently tried to drive through, then got stuck in and couldn't move during a sectarian fueled government protest turned into full blown riot in Manama. Tear gas, molotov's and hunks of cinder blocks getting mad air over my van. fucking terrifying. nothing in the papers about it afterwards...

years later found out by going through old documentation, the riot I was in happened a couple of years to the day, before they tore down the pearl roundabout during the Bahraini Uprising in '11

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Here's another one.

In 2012 I was in Ladakh, one of the most beautiful places on earth. My cousin, a friend, and myself were doing an 18 day trek, and we had a pony man, cook, and a guide. We also had 6 horses.

We were somewhere around Kharnak valley and we setup camp (somewhere around day 9). The 3 of us went to go check out this abandoned nomadic village that's used for herding goats. As we were heading back to camp I looked down the valley and saw 3 animals heading our way, far far away. As they got closer I noticed they were canines... aaaaaaand.... yep - wolves.

Big fucking wolves. Himalayan wolves. Jesus christ there are wolves coming towards us and the camp. Will they go for us? Will they go for the horses? What did we have on us? DSLRs and there were some big rocks around. That's it.

So I yell to my cousin and the wolves end up doing a 90 degree turn away from us, I guess because they heard that we were there and they generally stay away from humans.

We ran back to camp and kept an eye on the wolves as they ran up a valley. They were just insanely fast even when they were trotting about. Imagine a large dog running at full speed, this is how these wolves trotted. After we got back to camp I told my guide & cook and they said that the wolves were hunting for marmots. My guide wanted to see where they went so he decided to go up on the hill to go take a look. I decided to come along, so I armed myself with a small gerber knife, my dslr, and my trekking pole, lol.

We didn't end up seeing them but it was one of those moments where a hungry wolf pack could have smoked us easily. Luckily there were only 3 of them.

I think the animal stories are the scariest because there is nothing stopping them from destroying you when they have the urge.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
I'm glad the ending to these stories were generally good endings. For sure some of these could have turned very ugly. I am very fearful of these types of situations, but I enjoy listening/talking about them. Weird?!

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
One summer in my 20s during parade season in Northern Ireland I was a human rights observer in Portadown. The Orange Order insist on marching through the relatively tiny Catholic part of town every summer and there had been lots of violence, so the British military also descended on the community for a few days. I wouldn't say I was in any danger but it was certainly a crazy experience with low-flying military helicopters and soldiers everywhere, not to mention the drunk orangemen screaming their faces off about dead nationalists while trying to cut through multiple huge coils of barbed wire separating them from the catholic church where people were gathering. Everyone living in this part of town was on benzos.

Getting teargassed a bunch of times at the anti-globalization protests in Quebec City was also fairly crazy.

spaboy

TRIBE Member
Was exploring Cabrini Green when I lived in the Chi and ran into some folk that were not happy with my presence. Good thing I'm a slick talker and really fast.

Rounds were fired in the air to terrify me

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I've been to a lot of places around the world and seen some crazy shit, but looking back on it now, the night me and a few buddies got lost in downtown Detroit at 2am trying to find a bar ranks right up there.

Went to see some friends who were going to the University of Windsor, and we decided that after last call in Ontario, we should get in the car and drive over to Detroit for a night cap (we had a DD so all good on that front).

When we crossed the boarder and customs asked us what we were up to and we told him our plan, in a very serious voice he simply said he would recommend that we turn the car around and go back home. We had no business going into Detroit at that time of the night.

Needless to say we didn't take his advice and proceeded on our way.

In short order we got lost and all I can remember at that point is block after block of burned out and abandon buildings.

We all looked at each other and decided that yup, we best get ourselves back to the safety of Windsor.

Being lost and having no idea how to get back to the boarder, we happened upon a young guy standing on a street corner. We stopped and politely asked if he could point us in the right direction.

I could see he was sizing up the occupants in the car and making note of the Ontario license plate.

He directed us to continue down the street we were on and make a left at the first street.

We thanked him for his help and proceeded down the street. As we were about to make that left turn, I happened to see a sign indicating it was a dead end street.

The adrenaline kicked in at that point and I shouted to everyone in the car that we were being set up and that we needed to get the F out of there.

As we made a quick u-turn and headed back the way we had come, we zoomed past the guy who had given us the directions, along with 4 or 5 other guys headed in the direction of the dead end street.

I have no doubt had we not gotten out of there as quick as we did, harm was sure to follow.

One of my other friends who went to University of Windsor and ended up in the wrong part of town after going to a Detroit Tigers game got robbed at gun point, and to add a little insult to injury, they took his clothes too so he was left standing there in his undies.

Liability

TRIBE Member
I visited Beirut for the Summer of 79 and 90. Although many areas were very safe I have a few distinct memories from my first trip.

Playing out on the street was absolutely fine until you heard the tank tracks. Tanks going down an urban street have a very distinctive sound and everyone would go inside. I guess it is the equivalent of the street hockey 'game off' when a car comes down the road.

I also remember getting stopped at a checkpoint and 'offering' (really no choice) a lift to two young Syrian soldiers. They sat on either side of me in the back of the car in full combat gear. I was asking them about their guns and pointing at their grenades much to the bemusement of the soldiers and the horror of my parents. Keep in mind I look very 'white'.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member

I had a similar experience in the upstairs backroom at the Big Bop way back in the day.

Stumbled in there by chance and realized very quickly that I was most definitely in the wrong place. As it turned, a friend of a friend happened to be standing there by the door and he called out my name and asked if I wanted a beer. He wasn't a biker but travelled in those circles so he was there to support the cause.

Never one to turn down a drink, I said sure and asked if it was cool that I was there. It was then that a couple of very large men in vests came over to ask Tommy who I was and what I was doing there.

Coming from a long line of police officers, I am often mistaken for a cop based on my look (I still get that a lot), so needless to say the bikers were suspect of me.

Tommy told them I was cool, and not a cop. He did the intro's, I shook their massive hands, and clinked their beer bottles.

Ended up having some very interesting conversations that night but it was very unnerving to be in a room with a bunch of bikers who I'm sure were checking me out all night.

lockedgruv

TRIBE Member
Being lost and having no idea how to get back to the boarder, we happened upon a young guy standing on a street corner. We stopped and politely asked if he could point us in the right direction.

I could see he was sizing up the occupants in the car and making note of the Ontario license plate.

He directed us to continue down the street we were on and make a left at the first street.

1368699625_3.jpg

rentboy

TRIBE Member
I've been to a lot of places around the world and seen some crazy shit, but looking back on it now, the night me and a few buddies got lost in downtown Detroit at 2am trying to find a bar ranks right up there.

Went to see some friends who were going to the University of Windsor, and we decided that after last call in Ontario, we should get in the car and drive over to Detroit for a night cap (we had a DD so all good on that front).

When we crossed the boarder and customs asked us what we were up to and we told him our plan, in a very serious voice he simply said he would recommend that we turn the car around and go back home. We had no business going into Detroit at that time of the night.

Needless to say we didn't take his advice and proceeded on our way.

In short order we got lost and all I can remember at that point is block after block of burned out and abandon buildings.

We all looked at each other and decided that yup, we best get ourselves back to the safety of Windsor.

I got lost with a few friends in the early 2000s, thankfully we found our way and ended up going to Motor for the night. It's a surreal place to drive through at night. Abandoned buildings and steam coming out of gratings.

Other places:

I got jacked by a few guys with big blades in the east coast of Nicaragua. I made the mistake of walking at night (i was informed to always take a cab) and strolled into an unlit spot on the coast, no moon, waves crashing... These guys literally came out of the reeds in the other side, glanced over my shoulder and they were right on me. They took me to the ground and one put a blade to my neck. I raised my hands and said 'it's cool, take whatever'. They then cut the strap on the bag (not too much in the way of valuables) and took the few notes i had. I never carry visa cards or passport when embedded in a place. They unfortunately got my cabin key too, so I had to go and get a replacement.
There were some dicey cats in that place (Big Corn Island). It's a prime location for the drug trade.

Managua in Nicaragua is a dodgy place too. There's barricaded businesses everywhere with night security. Christ, there was even security outside the restaurants that we went into. Not a warm or welcoming place to visit but you typically have to spend a night there before moving on after landing.

La Paz in Bolivia can feel this way too. I was hanging with a couple there and the guy told me about an experience that his brother had there. He was there with a few mates and they went to a bar. A few locals befriended them and were feeding them coke. The brother went to the washroom and another guy came in behind him and warned him to leave immediately because the group of guys were going to kidnap him. This is apparently commonplace there.

Growing up in Belfast, Northern Ireland was pretty mental too. The constant whir of army helicopters, armoured police wagons, hearing a bomb go off, frequent bomb scares, the dread of the opposition areas with notorious reputations... there may be a ceasefire there but I get the impression that things are still tense.

derek

TRIBE Member
alphabet city nyc (80s, it's gentrified now, i had cousins that lived here an would visit in the summers)

kingston jamaica (i was with a friend whose relatives were respected in the hood but that's not a city you travel without a solid connection that knows people)

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Detroit, 2001
Came to wandering the foggy streets at 5am on my own after the Planet E 10 year Anniversary party with Laurent Garnier, Moodymann (unannounced), recloose, and C2. Like Rentboy said, steam, abandoned burnt out buildings, and no one around.

May have received a minor miracle getting down to the hotel on my own. Felt like something out of RoboCop...

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
When I was 16 and vacationing with my Mom in L.A. we were coming back late night from a party in the hollywood hills to the place we were staying in Santa Monica in a bright blue brand new rental car and took the wrong lanes end ended up lost driving around downtown L.A. at like 1am. Cop car pulled up to us and told us to run the next four red lights to get to the freeway on ramp. My mom is really jumpy and was losing her mind.

Not my story but my Dad was kind of crazy when he was young. In early 20s he and a friend road their biked (as in bicycles) from Toronto to Mexico. Ended up being approached on a beach in Mexico by a gang who were going to take them for everything and beat the crap out of them. When they found out they had nothing except their bikes instead they were invited to a party and somehow ended up with plane tickets home instead.