• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Crashed Winnipeg plane had flu, herpes viruses aboard

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Toronto Star

WINNIPEG A cargo plane on its daily run crashed on railway tracks not far from Winnipegs city centre today, killing the pilot but missing buildings and vehicles in the area, police said.
Although the plane was carrying small amounts of frozen influenza and herpes viruses, the samples were destroyed in the crash and ensuing fire, said an air company spokeswoman.

The Cessna 208 took off from the Winnipeg airport en route to Thunder Bay at about 5:45 a.m. and got about seven kilometres southeast of the airport before it requested a return, said Transportation Safety Board investigator David Ross.

The aircraft then descended below radar coverage and contact was lost with the aircraft, he said.

It crashed on the Canadian National main line about 200 yards east of the intersection of Osborne Street and Corydon Avenue a major traffic intersection and burst into flames.

It actually crashed in behind a temple that is nearby, said police Sgt. Shelly Glover.

It has crashed on railway tracks and does not appear to have collided with any other objects, houses or cars.

The trendy Osborne Village area where the fully loaded, single-engine turboprop came down is heavily populated.

There are some taller buildings so it is quite incredible that nothing was struck, said Glover.

Ross said investigators couldnt tell yet if the pilot brought the plane down on the tracks deliberately in an attempt to minimize damage or potential deaths.

All I know is that the plane ended up on the railway tracks. How it got there we dont know at this point, he said.

Winnipeg police spokeswoman Carolyn Kwiatek said there was no damage to the surrounding area from the fire. The crash did tie up traffic on nearby streets during the morning rush, but no accidents or injuries resulted.

The Cessna was owned by Morningstar Air Express of Edmonton and was under contract to Federal Express. In its cargo were six half-millilitre vials of virus samples being sent to Thunder Bay for research, FedEx spokeswoman Karen Cooper said from Toronto.

Although the samples were labelled dangerous goods, they were not considered hazardous at the crash site since all the cargo was destroyed in the blaze, she said.

We have nothing left of anything.

Police Sgt. Kelly Dennison said weather may have been a factor. Reports suggested light snow and mist in the area, temperatures near the freezing mark, moderate winds and about seven kilometres of visibility.

Emergency crews were on the scene, as were Transportation Safety Board investigators.

Morningstar spokesman Don Boettcher could release few details about the pilot.

Shed been with us for about five years now, he said.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by fleaflo
Toronto Star

Although the plane was carrying small amounts of frozen influenza and herpes viruses, the samples were destroyed in the crash and ensuing fire, said an air company spokeswoman.

Of course they were.

"Sir, what is your expert opinion on the likelihood of the viruses spreading from the crash site?"

"Well, of all the plane-crash-with-virus-on-board fires I've seen, none have ever posed a viral threat to the local ecology."

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
Err, you don't think the fire, which was probably several hundred degrees celsius, would not have killed the viruses? There are very few organinisms that can survive those temps.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hypnotoad
Err, you don't think the fire, which was probably several hundred degrees celsius, would not have killed the viruses? There are very few organinisms that can survive those temps.

Well, one, a virus isn't an organism. Two, it's all guesswork about what the fire did and didn't get unless someone had a good look around at the crash site, and even then it's still playing the odds.

randyval

TRIBE Member
so thats why traffic was so bad downtown this morning, good thing i took another route to get to my job today:eek:
maybe i should pay more attention to local events, maybe listen to the radio in the morning more often instead of trance :p

randyval

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hypnotoad
why would it be so hard to believe a small glass vial could have been ejected from the crash?
explosions dont just incinerate everything thats around , lots of stuff gets thrown into the air.
video here

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
these viruses don't exactly have long lives in open air and the concentrations required to make any infection plausible would quickly be diluted in the outdoors.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
It's not really the plausibility, it's just amusing to me that the first statement in the article is the all-so-very-necessary fear-quelling assurances from the corporate representative.

I don't really think it's anything to be worried about.

But then, it didn't crash next door to my home. :)

Cydome

TRIBE Member
Maybe theyll join forces and mutate into an invincible herpes turkey flu, just in time for thanksgiving.

I don't know the scientific explanation, but FIRE MADE IT GOOD.