1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Crack Shack or Mansion?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by thom100, Apr 14, 2010.

1. thom100

thom100 TRIBE Member

2. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

3. Vote_4_Pedro

Vote_4_Pedro TRIBE Member

4. starr

starr TRIBE Member

only in van.
  5. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i see what they did there.
  6. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I can't believe this is real.

Who the heck is buying these shitholes>?

Anyone with Van knowledge able to explain? Are they in the Van equivalent of the bridle path? Looked like some of the neighbouring houses were a little fancier and we were looking at islands of houses where the owners never renovated/upgraded in hoods where everyone else did a long time ago...
  7. rulz

rulz TRIBE Member

whoa this is nuts
  8. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

9. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

My guess is that these are people who are just listing their houses for extreme amounts hoping that a developer will buy at that price to knock it down to rebuild.

I doubt those houses would sell at those prices.

But I'm not in Vancouver.
  10. thom100

thom100 TRIBE Member

Like mentioned, it is all about the land value. They are old home on big lots, they'll be torn down and "monster homes" or rezoned for condos. Every day here you see perfectly good 25-30 year old homes torn down. These would just be average areas not in any place special- Vancouver is just drunk on real estate.
  11. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

There was (I believe) a Globe & Mail story saying that the average price for a detached home in the city of Vancouver is now $1,000,000.
  12. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

I live in North Vancouver, the fancy part, and there are tons of houses that look like that. But people do tear them down and put up mcmansions.

The other thing to keep in mind is that they don't use brick or stone here, so all the houses look ghetto to people from Toronto. There are very few houses here that I think are actually attractive, maybe 1 in 50. And those are new expensive houses.
  13. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I know a couple in Vancouver who moved their 10 years ago and have since moved themselves up the property ladder from $400,000 to $3,000,000 over the course of 4 houses by buying, renovating, decorating and selling.

Vancouver is now in the top 10 most expensive cities in the world to live.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  14. Aleks

Aleks TRIBE Member

those prices are unbelievable!
  15. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

<cartman> hippies dont have money!!!
  16. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I thought Leslieville was getting bad... but holy crap!
  17. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Maybe if we can just get the Olympics to Toronto.
  18. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I like my Toronto house even more now :)
  19. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

not only are the prices really high there for crapholes like that, the vacancy rate for rentals is also extremely low. so if you enjoy having a hard time finding a place to live and many months of light rain, that city is for you!
  20. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

I'm almost willing to flee my Toronto basement apartment and go back to a Vancouver living room couch. Paid $400 a month for the sofa, but every morning I woke up to beautiful scenery.

Allergy season was misery, though.

Absolute, incredible misery.
  21. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

16 - apparently, being Asian helps in become a certified real estate agent in Vancouver...

I like it there, I go there once or twice a year for business, but I could never live there. The price of cheese is insane, let alone housing.
  22. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

There are tons of apartments here and the rent is cheaper than Toronto if you aren't trying to live in the tiny area they consider "downtown" here.

Also, the rain thing is bull, it rains here as often as it is shitty and slushy in Toronto. You really can't fault the weather in BC.
  23. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

Perfect score.

Crack use finally pays off into a realtor's license.

Thanks internet.
  24. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

Vancouver is not a "city" and Davie street is not a "street".

25. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

I would imagine the rents are still cheap on East Hastings or Commercial Drive