• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Cpu

21 grams

TRIBE Member
Ok, i bought GeForce 6600 GT 128 DDR3...
NO DIFFERENCE. i still play on 60fps in cs 1.6 and my nfs underground 2 still goes very slow.
Now that video card has to be REALLY good, i guess its my cpu which is 933 MZH

Now i want to buy a new CPU + motherboard

does anyone know which CPU is the best?
1 - Pentium 4
2 - AMD Athlone 64
3 - AMD XP
4 - AMD Sempron
5 - AMD Duron
6 - other

i think its either P4 or AMD64, but how about Sempron? ppl say its a new generation of AMD? why its so cheap then?

Stop Bill C-10

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
If you're a gamer, go for the Athlon 64.
P4s are better for media content production, but Athlon 64s have been tested around the board as being better for games.
Plus, they're cheaper than the Intels.

randyval

TRIBE Member
for about $200 youy can get an athlonxp 2500+,(should clock to 2ghz easy)
and i would recommend abit nf78x)
or asus (a7n8x)-dual channel motherboard
i would defenatly look for one that supports dual channel.
n-force2 chipset is a MUST.
unfortunatly a64 runs on pci-e motherboards, not agp.
but that combo should give you more than you need for that card.

Last edited:

randyval

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 21 grams
how about Sempron? ppl say its a new generation of AMD? why its so cheap then?
depends,
the 32bit version is nothing more than a retagged athlonXP(up to 3000+ i think)
the 64bit version is a dumbed down (still fast though) A64.(3000+ and up)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Athlon 3800+ 64bit
on one of the newer Asus mobo's that supports SLI (check their site)

return your video card and get an GeForce SLI card if possible, otherwise a good 128-256Mb PCI-e card should do you fine.

1gb of the fastest RAM that the mobo can support as well. Buy QUALITY (ie. Kingston or Samsung), not shit RAM.

randyval

TRIBE Member
if you do choose the A64 route, and you can trade up your 6600gt to one with pci-e, you will still need to get ram and a new psu(minimum 450w) for your new mobo.
probably cost a bit, but in the end you will have an up to date machine.
if they dont let you trade you card, a 32bit sempron or AthlonXP, should do the trick.
plus cheap, (less than $200)
both options will give you lightning fast graphics for any game out there and for the next while.
sooner or later everyone will end up with 64bit, but i doubt it will really matter for at least a couple more years.

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
What are you guys talking about!? A64's aren't limited to a PCI-e Motherboard. There are tons of A64 boards out there with AGP slots. The one I have is the MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum (running an A64 3500+)...

Stan

TRIBE Member
There are lots of AGP boards that will support Athlon 64. I'm currently using an Asus A8V-Deluxe with an A64 3200+ and an AGP ATI 9800 Pro. It's a socket 939 board and supports Dual Channel DDR. Any board with a Via K8T800 chipset will support AGP, Socket 939 and Dual Channel RAM. The Abit AV8 is another board with this chipset.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
dual opterons with 8 gigs of ram

:)

but for the day-to-day machine I have a P4 550 here and it is really fast, the 650 chip is out now with the larger L2 cache and I bet that is be nice too. i am not a gamer tho so I don't know how good the p4s are for gaming... All I know is that is crunches through photoshop and rips mpegs and mp3s really, really fast

randyval

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stan
There are lots of AGP boards that will support Athlon 64. I'm currently using an Asus A8V-Deluxe with an A64 3200+ and an AGP ATI 9800 Pro. It's a socket 939 board and supports Dual Channel DDR. Any board with a Via K8T800 chipset will support AGP, Socket 939 and Dual Channel RAM. The Abit AV8 is another board with this chipset.
sorry my bad :eek: