• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

CPU running hot?

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
My computer has started giving me warnings during the BIOS startup that my CPU is running hot. Sometimes the only way I can complete the startup is if I go into the BIOS and tell it to ignore the CPU temperature. I downloaded a program called SpeedFan and it tells me my CPU is running at 60C right now, but I've seen it as high as 70C.

Is this a big problem? It doesn't seem to affect anything, but I'm worried that my computer is basically a ticking time bomb now.

Why would my CPU be running so hot now? The SpeedFan diagnostic screen lists 3 fans like so:

Fan1: 3140 RPM
Fan2: 0 RPM
Fan3: 2885 RPM

But I opened up the tower and I only see two fans, so unless it's hidden I don't think I ever had a third fan.

Is there anything simple I can do to lower the temp?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
CPU should have a fan and/or heat pipe

Power Supply will have a fan

Case should have at least 1 fan. Two would be better to have a good flow out of the system

Try running your computer with the case open if it's possible and see if the warnings persist... if it's still giving you warnings with the case open it might be the sensors that are faultering... but otherwise you should be able to see the fans running while the case is open as well. If when you start the computer the fans don't instantly turn on... but instead slowly come up to speed, they might be dirty or the bearings are clogged with dirt thus not acheiving the proper revolutions to keep a good flow of air out of the system.

Replacing fans is a cheap way to ensure your computer is running at the optimal temprature.

The hotter the system runs, the more potential there is for damage occuring when doing intensive operations...

Last edited:

coleridge

TRIBE Member
DJ Doublecross said:
My computer has started giving me warnings during the BIOS startup that my CPU is running hot. Sometimes the only way I can complete the startup is if I go into the BIOS and tell it to ignore the CPU temperature. I downloaded a program called SpeedFan and it tells me my CPU is running at 60C right now, but I've seen it as high as 70C.

Is this a big problem? It doesn't seem to affect anything, but I'm worried that my computer is basically a ticking time bomb now.

Why would my CPU be running so hot now? The SpeedFan diagnostic screen lists 3 fans like so:

Fan1: 3140 RPM
Fan2: 0 RPM
Fan3: 2885 RPM

But I opened up the tower and I only see two fans, so unless it's hidden I don't think I ever had a third fan.

Is there anything simple I can do to lower the temp?

Leave the cover off of your tower for now until you figure out the problem. It will help with the cooling.

urbanriot

TRIBE Member
DJ Doublecross said:
I downloaded a program called SpeedFan and it tells me my CPU is running at 60C right now, but I've seen it as high as 70C.

Speedfan's a buggy POS.

You don't say what CPU you have, so nobody here will have any idea if that's too hot for your CPU or not. What CPU is it?

deevah

TRIBE Member
check to see if your fans and vents need cleaning - can get pretty gucky (technical term) if you have pets that shed hair

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

air-bag

TRIBE Member
The heating can be caused by a slow down in the RPMs of the fans which is usually caused by friction with dust. Use a compressed air can ($5-$10 available at any computer shop) to clean the dust off the fans. If that does not help replace the CPU fan as the people above suggested.

praktik

TRIBE Member
you might also wanna see if you can remove the fan from the heatsink - sometimes thats necessary to get at the thick layer of dust between the fan and the heatsink. Could be pretty simple with no screws needed to unscrew if it just uses metal clasps to hold it in...

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I just leave the cover off. Also, clean your cpu heatsink once and a while with dustoff. ah yes, Right, what he said.

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
Didn't bother getting compressed air, but I opened up the case and attacked everything with q-tips + rubbing alcohol and a vacuum.

Now she works like a champ! CPU temp dropped 10 degrees immediately.

Couldn't believe the amount of gunk in there.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
arnold-mr-freeze.jpg