1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Coworkers and their goddamn sponsorship requests

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by diablo, Sep 13, 2010.

1. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

"Hey, can you sponsor me in my marathon/stair climb/bike race for cancer/lupus/an orphanage in Mozambique?"

I've always considered these requests tacky, but the sheer volume of them has really been getting on my tits lately. If you care so deeply about cause X, pledge the money yourself and be done with the goddamn vanity project, replete with emails, Facebook updates and incessant conversation. The sick and orphaned aren't sitting around hoping against hope for some brave, middle-class soul to run a 5K for them.

Even asking friends and family is one thing, but the workplace should be free from this shakedown shit. I just got asked by a higher-up at work who makes 3-4 times as much as me to sponsor him in some shit. GTFO.

2. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

you should start a personal sponsership fund, that is to say, raise money from co-workers to finance their future sponsership requests

3. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Tables = turned!

4. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

I remember when I was a kid and had to knock on doors to get sponsored for the Terry Fox Run, then go back and collect. Is that even an option anymore?

5. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

i just have a blanket rule that i don't contribute to any of these charity runs/stair climbs/walks/charity volleyball tournaments/etc because i already making donations to specific charities close to my heart every year.
    as long as you don't feel guilty about saying no (no matter who asks you), you're good to go!

6. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

those girl guide cookie emails that go around at 3 oclock are pretty effective though. Or the hockey team chocoloates. My office has a huge sweet tooth I think!

I hate asking people for money. I also hate getting asked for money. I'm doing the cancer ride next year but am planning a fundraising party for it, silent auction and stuff. I really feel like the money raised from this ride (for princess margaret hospital) saved my life. I think getting more creative with fundraising, and giving people something for their cash is a better way to go.

7. vench

vench TRIBE Promoter

Maybe you should start asking for money for The Human Fund

[​IMG]

8. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

I do one a year - the Crohn's walk - because I actually have the disease so it's pretty important for me to fundraise for it :)

What I do is write a short letter and put it with my pledge sheet in the lunchroom. That's it. No pressure, no email, no asking people directly - I don't feel it's fair to put coworkers on the spot like that. Not everyone has the financial means to contribute and not everyone wants to support that charity - they may have one that is important to them that they already support. I think many people forget this when they fundraise.

I also do a facebook page and send it ONCE to people - with a few status updates on my profile close to the date (but no more messages)

This way I raised close to $1500 this year and managed not to piss anyone off. Which is WAY more than I could have managed on my own - so I think fundraising really has a place, particularly for the smaller organizations like CCFC.

9. SolChild

SolChild TRIBE Promoter

10. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

The WORST is when your company decides to support a charity, then tells you that your Xmass bonus will now be made as a donation in YOUR name to said charity...wait, it gets better...then, your responsible to raise X amount of dollars and if you don't, your responsible for making up the difference if you can't raise it from your client base.

11. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

I'm in training for a bookathon

12. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

This is even worse on the tacky scale!

"I signed my child up for a recreational activity. Please chip in to pay for it by purchasing cookies/nuts/raffle tickets for shit that you don't want."

I can't even go to the LCBO in the summer without passing some sad-sack kids standing at the doors with their coinboxes shaking down the customers. I played recreational sports throughout my childhood, and never once had to hang around the liquor store on a Sunday afternoon to fund them. Isn't this why people pay registration fees?

That's an HR grievance if I ever heard of one. Jesus Christ!

But corporate charity is a whole other tangent...

13. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

I don't have a problem supporting co-workers kids if they are fundraising for hockey, swimming, figure skating etc. I've been on the other end of that and can appreciate how hard it is to sell stuff.

14. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Charity stuff is bad enough and then there are the office collections for bridal or baby showers, or parties for employees who retire or quit (I've even been asked to chip in for one at a restaurant off-site for a guy who was fired, but well-liked)... We have a chickie here who when she gets put on the case absolutely will not let people get away. Three days she chased me for a chip-in to a bridal shower gift for a girl who just started with us a month before.

15. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Schools generally don't want them doing that anymore. Every time we get chocolates or whatever from the school for fund raising activities, they also recommend that the kids approach their families and close friends and not to go door to door.

On another note, yeah I hate it when they bug you around work. The worst was this girl who was very stubborn about you donating. She would be right at your desk and say, "I need $5 for such and such donation". If you said no you wouldn't hear the end of it. Thankfully she's not here anymore. Myself, if I have chocolates or whatever to get rid of, I put them in the kitchen with a sign saying who they're for and to leave the donation in the envelope. Later in the day I check up on it and generally find that people are honest and do contribute.

Lobo

16. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

Yeah they don't recommend door-to-door anymore, which is why you get the groups at the grocery or liquor store a lot. The only door knocking one we get around here is bottle drives (usually older kids in a group) - these are really popular.

I don't end up doing a lot of school fundraisers because a lot of them involve ordering expensive junky crap I don't want. I will do chocolate (cause it's easy to get rid of at work like you said) and books.

17. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Haven't had too many people bothering me in the last little while at the office, so can't complain.

However, chocolate covered almonds are a weakness to me and I will always buy that shit..

18. derek

derek TRIBE Member

what? that's extortion. they can't legally sign your bonus away, nor place targets that if not acheived the balance comes from your pay.

you've got more than an hr greviance case here, if that's what they are truly doing.

the united way campaign at my previous employment was very aggressive(not to the extent your describing), hr wanted pledge forms back whether the empolyee got donations or not, and the forms had the employees name (so they'd know who participated and who didn't). didn't fly because enough employees complained (even myself as the co-chair for the building i was in).

girl guide cookies on the other hand, are compelely acceptable. a good product for the donation imo. so addictive.

the people here a cool, they don't beat you over the head. most do like lobo, they place a form in the cafeteria and you can sign-up if you want to pledge or buy whatever.

19. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

Tell me about it...not much we can do because our Xmass bonus isn't that big and the company is not "obligated" to give this to us, it's nowhere in our contract...also, as far as our own fund raising, like I said, the company has a goal and if it's not reached, we are not demanded to pay from our own pockets but, you know, try cheeping out when the VP of the company asks you to contribute...you can say no but it's just easier to cough up the money.

Their response is that you've had ample time to raise the minimum amount from all your clients and if then, you still can't raise enough, it's on you.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  20. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

I once knew this girl who was raising funds for cancer. I later found out that she faked the entire sickness. True story.

21. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

we are getting hit everywhere we go with sponsoring or donating... outside the subway station, on the way in AND out of the grocery store, at the check out line of the grocery store, work, friends, family, outside the lcbo. TGets hard to do anything without there constantly being someone in your face asking you to support everything and anything

22. derek

derek TRIBE Member

i'm be looking for a new employer. if the company doesnt make their ebit, it's understandable that bounuses would not be paid out (as long as it holds true fot the execs as well). if the company is able to pay to a bonus to their employees though, it's pretty shady to then force them to contribute it to a charity of the company's choice. it may even be illegal, this goes for the second part was well. to use the logic we don't have to give to you anyway, so why not donate it to charity is asinine. i wonder if your vp and ceo direct their full bonuses to the charity in question. i highly doubt they do.

are the charitable targets built into your performance plan? are they a part of your core competencies? i'd make them build it in, and when you acheive it, tell them you'll decide where to direct the money from your bonus.

while co-chair of the united way events are work, i actually didn't direct much personally in the way of donations to the united way. other than the cn tower climb, and one-off events (bake sales, etc). i have a list of charities that i support, and i direct my donations there.

23. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I donate enough of my money through taxes, thanks Harper government for giving all my hard earned money away and then raising taxes everywhere you can

24. Big Harv

Big Harv TRIBE Member

If I supported everyone who has asked me for a donation at work, I would not be able to pay for my shelter, food and clothes. I have my causes that I support and I politely decline all other requests.

25. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

yeah I'm the sucker falling for it... my sweet tooth kicks in about 2:30