• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Cover letter help...

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I have some books on them at work and I've seen examples but it seems there are subtle differences.

Can someone post a sample cover letter they've written?

Are there things that should be on every cover letter?
I'm talking about placement of things and even the greeting. Some of these books aren't helping because they are for really high-profile positions.

I'm just writing one for a Media Relations position with a major gallery.

Any help or tips would be appreciated since it seems a lot of you have done this before.
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I did. It's all over the place.

Like I said, I wanted to see some sample ones from Tribers. I want to see the format more than anything. Not what to write.
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Like I got this one when I did a search:

May 13, 2001

Mr. Frank Randall, Partner
Randall, Jerneys and Calpert Inc.
101 Stratford Drive
Tempe, AZ 12345

Dear Mr. Randall,

There’s a reason why:
• Friends hand me the dinner bill to divvy up
• My checkbook always balances at the end of each month
• My three kids are never late for events
• Community groups look to me to organize events

I’m a “detail person” — the kind of person you need as your administrative assistant.

For the last five years, I’ve handled all the scheduling, finances, and logistics for my family of five. It’s time for me to get back into the corporate work force and put my organizational talents to use there.

I’ll contact you in the next few days to see if you or one of your associates needs an assistant.

Thank you!


It's horrible and all centered! Yuck.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Ack, those links bring me to the same sites again I was already checking.

The second one is good though. Thanks Kenny! *muah*
 

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
Like I got this one when I did a search:

Dear Mr. Randall,

There’s a reason why:
• Friends hand me the dinner bill to divvy up
• My checkbook always balances at the end of each month
• My three kids are never late for events
• Community groups look to me to organize events

I’m a “detail person” — the kind of person you need as your administrative assistant.

For the last five years, I’ve handled all the scheduling, finances, and logistics for my family of five. It’s time for me to get back into the corporate work force and put my organizational talents to use there.
buhahaha. that's fukken awesome. she should've just put down:

i'm sick of living at home with my five brats .. i can make a mean coffee and suck a wikked dick. please hire me.
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the resources.

John, I'm sending you my letter to get yer opinion.

EDIT: ah, shit. I lost ur email for some reason.
 
Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Alright HR folks. How to I reply to this? Does this mean it's filled and she can give me the second and third options WHICH I DO NOT WANT AT ALL but wouldn't mind doing as a last resort to get in there?

Or do I tell her, "no, this position that I am applying for is a first priority."


"Hi Sunny, thanks for your email. You did not miss the deadline. I extended it to Jan. 10. So I will get back to you in early January. Thank you for your application. If this one is filled, is there any other position you're interested in?"


HELP. Thanks.
 

Jennika

TRIBE Member
Sunny,

email it to Josh at home. he edits cover letters for job candidates all the time for work. he's got a good eye for it and can give you some good tips.
 

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
^^^
i think he already sent the cover letter and is now looking for help on how to respond to the email he got.

Reiterate your strong interest in the first position, don't hint you're not interested in 2nd or 3rd options...."It is the ---position that most interests me, but should that be unavailable, I'd be willing to consider ---- and -----.

Btw, i saw that position posted Mofo - looks like a good one
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Originally posted by MoFo
"Hi Sunny, thanks for your email. You did not miss the deadline. I extended it to Jan. 10. So I will get back to you in early January. Thank you for your application. If this one is filled, is there any other position you're interested in?"
Thanks so much for the reply!

As for your question, I have checked the site, and feel that this posting is the one that fits my skill-set completely, though I'd thank you for keeping me in mind for other related positions as you see fit.

Also, I suck a wikkid dick.

Sincerely,
Sunnito
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kerouacdude
^^^
i think he already sent the cover letter and is now looking for help on how to respond to the email he got.

Reiterate your strong interest in the first position, don't hint you're not interested in 2nd or 3rd options...."It is the ---position that most interests me, but should that be unavailable, I'd be willing to consider ---- and -----.
See, that's what I'm confused about. The last time I did that, they gave me the second one. But that's because there was the possibility that there were a bunch of people that had the exact same interview scores as me. And with unionized shit, they have to go by seniority and priority choicing.

So I'm wondering if I should say something like "I am quite interested in the first position solely because I believe that I am overqualified for #2 and #3. But would still like to be involved with your gallery nevertheless if that is the case.

I'm ambivalent about whether I should be ambivalent or totally direct.
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by daddyiwantchocolate
Thanks so much for the reply!

As for your question, I have checked the site, and feel that this posting is the one that fits my skill-set completely, though I'd thank you for keeping me in mind for other related positions as you see fit.

Also, I suck a wikkid dick.

Sincerely,
Sunnito
Copy and paste. *YOINK*

And her name is Sara. :p
 

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo


So I'm wondering if I should say something like "I am quite interested in the first position solely because I believe that I am overqualified for #2 and #3. But would still like to be involved with your gallery nevertheless if that is the case.

I'm ambivalent about whether I should be ambivalent or totally direct.
Dear Ms. soso,
The difference between the positions is that one I would suck dick for and the other would just suck dick.
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kerouacdude
Dear Ms. soso,
The difference between the positions is that one I would suck dick for and the other would just suck dick.
Thanks. I'll send her a revised version ASAP.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kerouacdude


Btw, i saw that position posted Mofo - looks like a good one
Where did you see it?
I wanna know where else it has been posted.

It's for Gallery 44 down at the 401 Richmond complex.
I'm going to have to get in there because a lot of photographers and stuff are represented there including all my profs.
Might as well make myself a familiar face since I never go to class. Haha.
 
Top