• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Councillor Adam Vaughan Jumps to Federal Level

acheron

TRIBE Member
Adam Vaughan to run for Liberals in federal byelection: Tim Harper | Toronto Star

Long time Toronto city councillor Adam Vaughan is making the move to federal politics, agreeing to run for the Liberals in the upcoming byelection in the downtown riding of Trinity-Spadina.

The deal was sealed at a lunch at Le Select Bistro Wednesday with Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau, sources told the Star, but the party has been courting the outspoken Vaughan for months.

Vaughan, who represents the southern portion of the federal riding on city council, will be seeking the seat vacated by Olivia Chow, who is trying to unseat Mayor Rob Ford in this year’s mayoralty election.
He won the ward in 2010 with almost 75 per cent of the vote.

Vaughan, a former journalist, took the ward initially in 2006 by easily defeating Helen Kennedy, Chow’s one-time executive assistant.

He will be competing for the riding with New Democrat Joe Cressy, a 29-year-old social activist with strong party ties. Cressy ran Chow’s 2011 federal campaign and stepped down as a strategist on her mayoralty campaign to run in the riding.

His arrival in the race — he must first beat other candidates for the nomination — sets up an epic battle between Trudeau and NDP Leader Tom Mulcair in an urban riding where both need to show strength.
Mulcair campaigned for Cressy in the riding this week.
A date for the byelection has not been announced.

Vaughan has been a long-time critic of Ford, telling reporters after the first mayoral debate that Ford’s “ability to lie is just unchallenged.”

His frustration with the circus-like atmosphere at city hall under Ford played into his decision to make the move, sources said, but he has told Trudeau he would like to take a strong role in promoting policies for cities if he is elected — the same platform Cressy is taking to voters.

Trinity-Spadina has swung between Liberals and New Democrats in recent elections, but the NDP believe they had established an endurable beachhead with Chow.

Previous to the Chow reign, the riding was held by Liberal Tony Ianno, whose spouse Christine Innes had twice run and lost to Chow.
She was blocked by the party from running in the riding this time and has, in turn, sued Trudeau.

Innes, who is seeking $1.5 million in damages, says in her statement of claim that she and her team were “repeatedly and maliciously” accused publicly of “bullying and intimidation” after she refused a “backroom deal.”
The Liberals say the suit has no merit.

The party is seeking guarantees from candidates that they will not seek the nomination in other ridings and alleged Innes was preparing to jump to Toronto Centre should she have won a byelection.

Vaughan has given Trudeau his assurance that he would stay in Trinity-Spadina should he win the byelection, sources say.

acheron

TRIBE Member
edit: alex can you correct his last name to Vaughan in the title... or just "dipshit asshole" if you prefer

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
He still has to win the right to represent the liberals and there's that law suit against Trudeau that may derail Vaughn and his running, but I highly doubt it.

I always thought he was an NDP'er

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I love this on so many levels and hope he gets elected.

Vaughan will do a good job representing Toronto on the Federal level

It removes him from meddling in the entertainment industry and generally acting as the destroyer of fun after 9pm. He's the guy who answered the questions "where do you like to eat out?" and "what do you like to do for fun after 9pm?" -- I paraphrase --- with "at home" and "sleep".

I relish the thought of Vaughan smugly wasting hours of his life riding the Pan Am diesel train to Pearson and negotiating the hellish nonsense that is Pearson all because of is personal vendetta against Porter.

I do admire Vaughan's masterful use of the clever/sarcastic/smirky one-liner. Can't wait to watch him unleash it on the opposition in the House of Commons.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I love this on so many levels and hope he gets elected.

Vaughan will do a good job representing Toronto on the Federal level

It removes him from meddling in the entertainment industry and generally acting as the destroyer of fun after 9pm. He's the guy who answered the questions "where do you like to eat out?" and "what do you like to do for fun after 9pm?" -- I paraphrase --- with "at home" and "sleep".

I relish the thought of Vaughan smugly wasting hours of his life riding the Pan Am diesel train to Pearson and negotiating the hellish nonsense that is Pearson all because of is personal vendetta against Porter.

I do admire Vaughan's masterful use of the clever/sarcastic/smirky one-liner. Can't wait to watch him unleash it on the opposition in the House of Commons.
Yup this is great. The City will actually have a chance at change now.