• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Coughing in public, public transit and spread of disease.

exheres

TRIBE Member
So i'm on my way to work this morning and arriving at the bus and feel the sudden need to cough. My hands are in my pockets because it's like -20C out there and knowing that i'm not going to get them up to my mouth in time i turn away from the direction of the other people standing at the stop and let out a stifled coff.

Couple seconds later a dude turns to me and tells me, "you should cover you damn mouth when you cough!" now normally i'd just let this go and give my deepest apologies but i'm been in a foul mood as of late and thus i shot back an biting response.

his argument was that i could have SARS and thus i should cover my mouth when I cough. I was like how do you know i don't have asthma or i wasn't coughing due to the bitterly cold air flowing into my lungs.

he was like, you should cover your mouth when you cough.
i was about to tell him that it would put more people at risk to do so since that would mean that if i was ill those germs would be on my hands and i would no doubt transfer them to the handrails and poles on the bus which pretty much everyone uses. i was also going to tell him that studies indicate that the most potent germs in a cough don't travel further than about 10-20 centimeters from your mouth and aslo that hand to mouth or eye contact has about a 70% transmission rate of viruses as opposed to a 10-20% rate in coughing.

i didn't mention any of this because well, i didn't figure it would change his opinion.

it did make me think however than public transportation is not such a good thing if the people that use it think that they will increase their risk of illness or death by doing so.

I have to say, this incident made me wonder about just what type of illness i contract during the year due to contact with other people. Virtual worlds all of a sudden didn't seem so bad.

TRIBE Member
ps. that was me on the subway this morning. Next time I see you coughing your disgusting filth all over the transit I'ma pee on your leg.

finary

TRIBE Promoter
you're one of the people i can't stand. not covering your mouth is so rude, not to mention filthy. who wants that added 10-20% chance? not i.

thank god i dont have to take the ttc any longer.

/finary

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Alita

TRIBE Member
hahaha this thread is funny...

yesterday I was thinking about SARS and the flu and stuff on the subway because it seemed like everywhere I turned someone was hacking away...yeah then I started to get worried because I didn't want to get sick... and then I wondered if holding my breath would help...then I started to think that sick people shouldn't take the TTC ... then I thought maybe I was gettng a little neurotic...then I got off at Bloor :p

finary

TRIBE Promoter
does anyone know if there have been any studies done on the effects on your heatlh taking the TTC to work and back every day has versus walking/biking/rollerblading/driving/carpooling ?

i'd be very interested in reading up on it to see if my personal experience isn't just a fluke.

times sick last winter on the ttc: 5
times sick this year so far driving: 0

/f

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
i think everyone needs to chill the fuck out about germs. what a bunch of pussies! ooooh, let me use my antibacterial everything on everything anyone has touched in the last century, cause i'm such a freakin pussy.

Alita

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes
i think everyone needs to chill the fuck out about germs. what a bunch of pussies! ooooh, let me use my antibacterial everything on everything anyone has touched in the last century, cause i'm such a freakin pussy.
hahaha I'm partial to antibacterial cleaners at home and I used to carry hand sanitizer with me.

<----- germ-a-phobe-neat-freak

When I get my own pad its gonna be frikken sterile ;)

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
could be your diet.. my roomies eat mostly junk food and get sick all the time. I eat properly (most of the time), take vitamins, and this year, I'm trying this oregano extract stuff... This could be my second winter without any cold or flu, despite taking the TTC, and sharing an apartment with sickos! (but don't tell that to my boss ;))

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
i think we should all start driving to work instead of taking the transit, and then nobody will get colds, but all our kids will have asthma from all the air pollution.

fabulous idea.

and then once all the bad bacteria is resistant to antibiotics because of over-use, we'll all be dead. but the important thing is, we'll have germ-free houses and we won't have any colds.

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
like omg janie, did you write this ad?:

[edit: oops.. not the right ad.. but here's the info relating to that:]
A flood of complaints by offended transit advocates has caused General Motors to pull an advertising campaign that featured pictures of buses with messages in their destination cards such as "Creeps and Weirdos," "Hours of Hell" and "Bacterial Stew." The ads for the Chevy Cavalier ran in the Vancouver weekly The Georgia Straight, as well as the student newspapers at Langara College, Simon Fraser University and the University of Victoria. Ironically, the ads featured buses manufactured by GM and promoted GM’s support for Vancouver’s 2010 Olympic bid – which claims to favour effective and environmentally sustainable transportation, including buses.

Last edited:

finary

TRIBE Promoter
i agree with janie

i think we should put more tax dollars into researching germ-proof cars! im just not comfortable with only my house being germ-proof ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders