• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Costs to fix your pet - Outrageous

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
FYI folks, I totally lied about Mississauga Spay & Neuter Clinic.

Their costs have double over the last 2 years.

I just called to have my little Sabrina Spayed........

$166 :eek: from the usually $80 or $90.

just an FYI, be prepared to pay over $230 at a regular vet. I'm sure it's way more expensive for a dog.

as a side note, I suggested to one of the vets that I called (Oakville SPCA) that perhaps because there is such an over population of stray animals is because spay and neutering costs are so expensive .:. lower income/single income families are less likely to have their pets fixed. The lady was extemely receptive and advised that they would take it to the next board meeting.

Maybe if more people made suggestions like this there could be controls on these types of fees. Understandibly, costs for sick animals would be subject to higher fees, but for basic care, like fixing your animal and yearly shots should be regulated/controlled. or at least, owners should have more options.

that is all, I was shocked at the cost when I called and just couldn't resist sharing :eek:

let the "not another usless animal thread" sarcasm begin.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

circle

TRIBE Member
Tell me about it. I got me dog fixed last summer and it cost my girlfriend and I close to $350. Well, the reason being is that they used laser surgery instead of the regular procedure. My dog was basically healed the next day, jumping, running around like nothing even happened.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
a friend of mines cat broke her leg.
The choices were:
1. amputate the leg for abour $700 OR
2. operate, fix and put a pin in the leg for $2200

:eek: :eek:

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

diablo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Indian Girl
The choices were:

Bullet: $2

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Littlest Hobo
I am sooo getting pet insurance.

does that cover basic costs like shots and fixing?

I was going to get it thru Bel-Air Insurance while I was with them, but it only covered sickness and accidents.

diablo

TRIBE Member
:(

nelson-1024x768.gif

FLIRT Crew

TRIBE Member
The choices were:

You consider this expensive?

Just out of curiosity... how much to you think it takes to do the same procedures on a human?

Hell, in the states it costs $1500 just to stay in a bed overnight in a hospital... that's not including any procedures. It's not that much different here... you just don't see it because of universal health care.

Just like in the states, you'd be foolish not to get insurance.

If you can't afford the insurance, then don't get a pet. Simple as that.

defazman

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by diablo
Bullet: $2

dude, you are way overpaying for bullits.

I was very pleased with the price and service of Lakeridge Animal Hospital in Brampton. Although I do not remember the price, they were alot less than another place I called.

echo

TRIBE Member
Here's my little horror story about my dealings with a spay and neuter clinic. The one I took my cat to was in London, ON. So it may not be the same for all clinics, however I feel it is important to let others know that going for the cheapest may not be the best idea when spaying your cat.

I was a starving student at the time, so obviously I needed to find the cheapest place to get my Smudgez fixed. I took her to the spay and neuter clinic early in the morning and they took her and told me that they would call when she was ready to be picked up.

When I went back to pick her up the vet tech told me that Smudgez was in a very bad mood and that they had to cover the front of her cage with newspaper because she was hissing and spitting and trying to scratch people that walked by. I thought at the time that it was weird cuz smudge normally loves attention, and isn't the type to get all weird around people....but she had just been thru a surgery so I figured she was ticked off about it.

They had her in a cone and she was crouched in the back of the cage looking absolutely miserable. When I started talking to her she sat up and started mewing like crazy. She was totally fine with me. I took her home and as soon as I let her down in the house she took off upstairs and wouldn't let anyone near her.

The next day when I finally got close enough I realized that she had managed to pull out all her stitches!! There was a lovely gaping red hole in her belly that she kept licking at.

So I bit the bullet and took her to her regular vets. They took one look at her and told me that they would have to put her back under anesthetic in order to repair the damage. I pulled out the visa and charged it all.

I warned my vet that smudgez was not happy after the last surgery and to watch out when she came too cuz she would probably be really pissed of and try to scratch and hiss and spit.

My vet called me later that day to let me know that smudgez was fine and that she was eating and letting the vet techs hold her and pet her and stuff. SHE WASN"T ANGRY AT ALL!! In fact the vet commented on how good she was with everyone.

When I went to pick her up...they didn't have a cone on her. I asked if I could have one as I didn't want her to chew her stitches out again. The vet said there was no need for one because they did a special type of stitch that the cat couldn't get at. Sure enough...she didn't even bother with the stitches this time.

I asked my vet why they thought Smudge had such a different reaction at the spay and neuter clinic and why she was able to get the stitches out so easily.

They explained that the reason why spay and neuter clinics can do the surgeries for cheaper is because they use cheaper anesthetics (that the animals can have adverse reactions to), cheaper materials, and cheaper methods of surgery/stitching...ie they used a running stitch (takes less time) which means as soon as Smudge was able to bite one loose....they all came loose and voila her wound was all opened up. Obviously the other reason why they are cheaper is because that's the only type of surgery they do. Now you have to take this with a grain of salt because this was the competition that my vet was talking about....but I was convinced!!

Smudges was fine when I brought her home that day...she didn't run and hide from everyone like previously.

Needless to say I learned my lesson that day. Better to pay a bit more to get your cat spayed properly...then pay a bit less and run the risk of having a very unhappy cat that will need to have a second surgery to fix the first goof-up!

That's just my experience tho. Take it for what you will!

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
damn echo, good to know. I am due to get my cat spayed too in the next month (can't stand the little slut going in heat and meowing for hours on end)

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by FLIRT Crew
If you can't afford the insurance, then don't get a pet. Simple as that.

I read an article awhile ago that compared the coverage of several different pet insurance providers for one specific situation (I think with a dog - hip replacement, maybe?) and between the cost of coverage and the costs not covered, it wasn't worth it.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
holy crap echo, that's a scary story. Glad your smudgez is ok tho.

I've taken my other 3 to this spay/neuter clinic in Missisauag with no problems, but the fact that they it's so in and out does make me worry a bit. Like are they cared for properly etc. I found the doctor to be really calus (sp?) but the nurses or vet assist. were very loving and affectionate to the animals.

echo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by the_fornicator
damn echo, good to know. I am due to get my cat spayed too in the next month (can't stand the little slut going in heat and meowing for hours on end)

My suggestion is to shop around a bit and see what prices are like at different vets. Ask them what anesthetic they use and what type of stitching they use to finish the surgery. The kind you want are called "subcutaneous" stitches.

I think as long as you do your homework...everything will work out fine!

Good luck :)

And boy oh boy do I remember the fun days of cat in heat!! haha. Smudges had lungs like nobody's business. I lived with 4 other girls at the time...they did not appreciate her vocalness - LOL.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
I read an article awhile ago that compared the coverage of several different pet insurance providers for one specific situation (I think with a dog - hip replacement, maybe?) and between the cost of coverage and the costs not covered, it wasn't worth it.

that's a question I have, what does insurance cover?

my kitties are strictly indoor, so unless they developed a disease or something like cancer, would it really be worth it.

and does it cover annuals shots etc? what about heartworm?

edit: aside from Bel-air Insurance, I don't know of any others available in Canada. I get too many US sites.

Last edited:

echo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LeoGirl
holy crap echo, that's a scary story. Glad your smudgez is ok tho.

I've taken my other 3 to this spay/neuter clinic in Missisauag with no problems, but the fact that they it's so in and out does make me worry a bit. Like are they cared for properly etc. I found the doctor to be really calus (sp?) but the nurses or vet assist. were very loving and affectionate to the animals.

I think as long as you have had a good experience with the clinic everything will be fine. I am sure that not all clinics run the same...and my story is only one. Probably lots of people on here who get their cats fixed at spay and neuter clinics with no problem.

Hopefully my story will just make sure that people know what to ask the vet before their cat has surgery :)

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echo
My suggestion is to shop around a bit and see what prices are like at different vets. Ask them what anesthetic they use and what type of stitching they use to finish the surgery. The kind you want are called "subutaneous" stitches.

I think as long as you do your homework...everything will work out fine!

Good luck :)

And boy oh boy do I remember the fun days of cat in heat!! haha. Smudges had lungs like nobody's business. I lived with 4 other girls at the time...they did not appreciate her vocalness - LOL.

ha ha!!! sweet, thanks. I will most definatey inquire about the said stiches. Those are the ones that are inside the car and dissolve with time, right?

Yeah, when my cat went into heat, I had nooooooooo idea that cats go into heat. So the first 3 days that she was meowing like a mother fucker, I unleashed the fury of the spray bottle to get her to shut up. Ha ha! WHen my GF picked her up, she said, "Wilson what the hell??? She's soaked!" The cat was just dripping with water.

To this day my cat LOVES (and I mean LOVE) playing in water. When I take a bath or shower, she'll sit right the corner of the tub and play with the water.

FLIRT Crew

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper

It's a tough situation, and I agree that alot of pet insurance isn't good enough, but the fact is that health care is *expensive*... whether it's for humans, or animal's. Alot of people who walk into vet clinics are horrified at the costs, but think about it... what's the difference between a hip replacement for a human, or a dog? Sure, they tend to use better equipment for humans (although this isn't always the case), but the procedure is roughly the same... we're both large mammals... so why would it be cheap? Do you really want vets to fix your pet with popcile sticks and super glue for a lower cost?

i've seen situations at clinics where owners would rather put their pet's "to sleep" because they don't want to pay the $$$ to undergo procedures. People need to think about these kinds of costs *before* they become pet owners... because accidents do happen.

kodos

TRIBE Member
Knowing how the internut is I bet you can find some DIY instructions... and its not like ketamine is hard to find.

sk8

TRIBE Member
geez.

having your pet spayed/neutered is part of being a responsible pet owner. these costs should be factored in when one decides to adopt an animal.

i personally wouldn't take mine to a "discount" place no more than i would take myself to a "discount" doctor. I've seen and heard many versions of echo's story about cheap procedures (i used to work for a vet)

my regular vet charges $85 for neutering. i don't know how much spaying is.