1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Cost for Hooking up a Gas Stove ?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Klubmasta Will, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

we got a new gas stove as part of our kitchen renovation. our old gas stove was taken away weeks ago.

our contractor says we should get a gas expert person to hook up the gas stove. we got a telephone quote for said expert hook-up and it was $250-350 which seemed a bit ridiculous.

does anyone know how much a gas stove hook-up should cost?

can anyone recommend someone who could do this?

2. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

We were about $200 for the hook-up for our gas stove. In our case the delivery guys were also the gas guys so they delivered and hooked it up for us.

3. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

"our prices are gas-tronomical!"

4. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

I paid a gas guy from the newspaper (moonlighting) $100 to hook mine up.

5. DeepSix

DeepSix TRIBE Promoter

Was that including delivery?

I can vaguely remember it being $75 for my BBQ + parts; my stove might have been more (around $150), but also included delivery. And this was 10 years ago.

Now I know a gasfitter, so I don't pay much at all.

Make a new friend, Will :D

6. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

When you're playing with Gas I wouldn't be looking for the cheapest. If the house blows up then you will be wishing you paid the extra $100. ( if you live through it)

7. Musical Rush

At the same time you don't want to get burned by over paying. Get it burned! hahahaha heehehe hoooohoo burned! cus we're dealing with gas. Ok I thought it was funny

8. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

KMW, anything under a 175'ish (all in) quote after a coldcall n' your laughing. usually run you two to two fitty. gasfitters are notorious for sidework, see if you can maybe wait a week or two and haggle work from him on a day off or something...

9. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

will, if you already have a gas line/shutoff valve where your stove used to be you can do this yourself.

1) go to home despot pick up some yellow gas tape and a pair of channel locks (if your toolbox doesn't contain some).

2) obviously the gas was shut off when they removed the old stove so i think we can skip this step

3) your new stove should have come with a flexible hose = connectors to hook up the line to your stove. wrap a single layer of the gas tape around the the thread ends of your connectors and tighten with the channel locks.

It should be easy if your existing gas line isn't an old rusty, busted up piece of junk. once you have everything connected turn on the shutoff valve and light up a celebratory cigar to test for leaks....or just put a bit of water on your connections to see if there's any bubbles.

or just pay someone to do it for you

10. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

above comment NOT endorsed by Enbridge. get a professional to do it.
    [​IMG]

11. Musical Rush

soapy water is better... No Bubbles, no troubles