• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Corrective Eye Surgery - please help, i'm scared shitless

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
i have an appointment this friday at 1 pm. they are going to evaluate me for LASER VISION CORRECTION at the TLC laser eye centre.

some questions:

1. anyone done it or know people who have done it? if so, what's the deal? good or bad, would you do it again, what would you do differently and why?

2. what is the difference between the surgery and the laser procedure? which is better and why?

3. is the laser procedure safe enough or should i wait a bit longer?

4. seeing as it will cost $4,000-6,000 out of pocket (i.e. no insurance or OHIP help), should i wait? in other words, how long until insurance starts to cover part or all of it?

5. is the laser technology as good as can be or should i wait for phaser or photon torpedo surgery? (make it so.)

6. if i get "better than 20/20" vision, will i be able to see the stitches on a fastball?

i'm scared to fucking death here. there is information on the TLC website, but it's all self-serving (obviously) so i'm looking for un-biased advice.

also, can anyone recommend the best doctor to do the procedure? so far, i've got one vote for dr. nick niarniarez.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I was rejected for laser eye surgery. Talk about a kick to the balls my eyes are so bad even the standard waiver doesn't cover me.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
A couple people I work with have gotten corrective eye surgery in the past couple months...I unfortunately can't answer all of your questions, but maybe they can...if ya feel like, send me a PM.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
some questions:

1. anyone done it or know people who have done it? if so, what's the deal? good or bad, would you do it again, what would you do differently and why?
i know tons of ppl who got it done - they were able to go out that same night no problem.

I wanted to get this done last year, but i didn't qualify as the grade on my eyesight was still changing - maybe in a few years.

I'd get it done if i could!

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
You're young and most young people recover from it perfectly. My friend did it and says it was the best thing he ever did. My boss on the other hand (whose 60) got it done and it left him worse than before. He's getting it re-done again tomorrow.

That however is the only bad case I've heard of personally.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
My ex's sister had it done, and she's perfectly fine now.

Just make sure you haven't worn any make up this week, that's one of the prerequisites.

;)

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
I would do it. My friends who went through the procedure have nothing negative to say about it. I wish I could but the astigmatism on my left eye is so bad I got rejected.

Better sight is worth the minimal risk.

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
My aunt had it and she said it was the greatest thing she ever had done! :)

Plus she got a cool video of the procedure! ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
You're young and most young people recover from it perfectly.
Some doctors are also speculating that many young people will have to have it done again 20 years after the surgery.

depraved

TRIBE Member
I know somebody who got it done & they had complications. Their night vision is now shit and need glasses to drive. They still need glasses.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bumbaclat
Some doctors are also speculating that many young people will have to have it done again 20 years after the surgery.
explain please?

most places offer lifetime touch-ups but the warranty is obviously only good if they stay in business. is TLC the best place to go?

Originally posted by depraved
I know somebody who got it done & they had complications. Their night vision is now shit and need glasses to drive. They still need glasses.
did this person do the SURGERY or the LASER procedure?

apparently, the night vision thing only happens with the SURGERY but i would like to confirm this if possible.

D-Monic

TRIBE Member
I will never, ever fuck with my eyes.

Yes I wear glasses and contacts, yes i'd rather not, but the surgury is still new and unproven over the long term and only 99% of the operations are problem free... I don't want to be the 1%.

Don't fuck with my eyes.

Poot

TRIBE Member
BUT IF YOUR EYES ARE STILL CHANGING...

They will continue to change, but the procedure is performed at a point in time.

I.e. if your eyes are changing and you change your prescription every year or two, chances are they will continue to change and one to two years post surgery you will find that your vision is again declining.

And seconds re. the night/dark vision: it won't be perfect, and for this reason, most people who have the procedure still require glasses for night driving.

Last edited:

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
If it's any consolation, Tiger and Vijay both came to Canada to the TLC to get their corrective laser surgery done.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by D-Monic

Yes I wear glasses and contacts, yes i'd rather not, but the surgury is still new and unproven over the long term and only 99% of the operations are problem free... I don't want to be the 1%.

Don't fuck with my eyes.
Plus, glasses sometimes look cool.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Stan

TRIBE Member
And RE: the night vision thing - if you have a pre-existing night vision problem, the laser procedure can't fix that, so you may have to continue wearing glasses at night. AFAIK (I could be wrong), it won't make your night vision worse or cause you to have a problem where you didn't have one before. Your eyes may be sensitive for the first few days, however.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by D-Monic

Don't fuck with my eyes.
I'm in the same boat.

Until its perfected 100% and the night vision thing is corrected, I'm fine with contacts.