• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

"Corporation" is out Friday!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
A documentary on corporations pegged as the "next Bowling for Columbine" is coming to Toronto: January 16, 2004 at the Bloor Cinema. It premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and has been garnering critical acclaim as well as standing ovations.

I heard it's quite cheeky and extremely funny.

http://thecorporation.tv/
Awesome site, by the way.

When the corporation’s inner workings undergo analysis — bizarre operating principles are revealed.

THE CORPORATION engages us in a darkly amusing account of the institution’s birth as a legal “person” whose prime directive is to produce ever-increasing profit for it’s shareholders regardless of the cost to anyone, or anything else. This pathological nature wasn’t always written in stone. 150 years ago a corporation was merely an organized way of doing business. Today it is is a global power.
Self-interested, amoral, callous and deceitful, a corporation’s operational principles make it anti-social. It breaches social and legal standards to get its way even while it mimics the human qualities of empathy, caring and altruism. It suffers no guilt. Diagnosis: the institutional embodiment of laissez-faire capitalism fully meets the diagnostic criteria of a psychopath.

In this feature documentary we see the people who inhabit the corporate “person” explore, and expose, the implications of being part of an institution that is required by it’s own laws to place the pursuit of profit over people. Over concern for the environment. Over even the planet itself.

In production from the time of the loudest protests against globalization to the high-profile bankruptcies of companies like Enron, the filmmakers make this huge and complex topic easy to follow and riveting to watch. Behind-the-scenes tensions and influences are revealed in corporate and anti-corporate dramas through jaw-dropping case studies and true confessions.

Featuring a multitude of interviews with CEO's and top-level executives from some of the worlds largest corporations, representing a wide range of industries, including: oil (Shell), pharmaceuticals (Pfizer),computers (IBM), tires (Goodyear), carpets (Interface), public relations (Burson Marsteller), branding (Landor), and advertising (Initiative); as well as critical thinkers: Noam Chomsky, Peter Drucker, Milton Friedman, Naomi Klein, Mark Kingwell, Vandana Shiva, and muckraking filmmaker Michael Moore. Add to the mix a corporate spy, an undercover marketer, academics, pundits, historians and activists; deftly blend with newsreel footage, early TV advertisements, B movies, and corporate propaganda films and you have the fascinating, original portrait of an institution that is THE CORPORATION.

Is there a cure for this pathological pursuit of profit-at-any-cost? Or can we only apply restraints?

Will people regain control over the corporation?
With cautious optimism, we are invited to reconsider our relationship with the dominant institution of our time.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
I saw the poster for this and saw that milton freedman and naomi klein are in it....and so is n. chomsky.

interesting for sure..mainly because they are playing themselves.

Last edited:

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: "Corporation" is out Friday!

Originally posted by chipotle

interesting for sure..mainly because they are playing themselves.
Who else would they "play" in a documentary?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Milton Freedman could play a green grocer.

Klein can be a schoolgirl.

And Chomsky could be David Cronenberg's older half-brother.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I wonder if there will be product placement..

like if Klein just finishes some rant on how the corporate brand has invaded & diseased our public mindspace, then on cue jumps into a 2005 Cadillac Escalade and drives away. That would be gold.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re: Re: Re: "Corporation" is out Friday!

Originally posted by OTIS
Who else would they "play" in a documentary?
my bad!

:eek:

I hurried this post and I knew very little about the movie ..in the poster I read at the movies .. at the bottom it had the cast and all the people involved in the movie.. I thought it was a movie.
I re-read mofo's post and yes.... still interesting movie though!

I want to see what milton has to say... I hope they edit it this way:

Milton: blah blah balh.. the economy... blah blah blah.

next shot:
Naoimi Klein: blah blah blah *burning IMF/ University of Chicago Flag *

:D

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
I wonder if there will be product placement..

like if Klein just finishes some rant on how the corporate brand has invaded & diseased our public mindspace, then on cue jumps into a 2005 Cadillac Escalade and drives away. That would be gold.
*shrug*

One of my favourite moments in The Big One is when Moore and crew stopped for Burger King.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
i thought that more people would be interested to see this from tribe....

c'mon is an anti corporation movie...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Chubbs
You really read that post hard jose :p

The second word was documentary ;)
i started here

"When the corporation’s inner workings undergo analysis..."

a LONG LONG time ago...IN A GALAXY FAR AWAY!

derek

TRIBE Member
looks good.

i read somewhere that successful ceo's have the same qualities of a sociopath. i beleive it was a british study.

peace,

derek

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I'm going to see this on Friday with my friends who work at the Documentary Channel (natch). I think we're going to the 7:30 show.