• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Coronavirus Pandemic

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Ford has fucked this up so badly. They are sitting on nearly 300K vaccines in fridges in Ontario TODAY with expiration dates approaching. Like WTF. They haven't figured out how to count the cases accurately in a year. The numbers are always wrong so now nobody believes what they say.

While I am happy I got my vaccine yesterday I would have gladly given it to my 87 year old neighbor who lives alone, but they were only looking for 60-64 year olds. This strikes me as strange.

I dunno if we make it to May
I honestly think they'll shut down just before or after the school April Break. But definitely before the end of May.

I doubt the voting public is going to have much of an appetite for a third shutdown, especially in the middle of spring. I doubt Ford will get the message, as he still thinks that he can treat this pandemic like a designated pissing area in a public pool - perfect analogy whoever came up with that.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Ford has fucked this up so badly. They are sitting on nearly 300K vaccines in fridges in Ontario TODAY with expiration dates approaching. Like WTF. They haven't figured out how to count the cases accurately in a year. The numbers are always wrong so now nobody believes what they say.

While I am happy I got my vaccine yesterday I would have gladly given it to my 87 year old neighbor who lives alone, but they were only looking for 60-64 year olds. This strikes me as strange.
There's risks of blood clots to those 65+ with the AZ one.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine as some European countries have suspended its use.

During a news conference in Montreal today, the Prime Minister said public health experts are working off the best data and only allowing the use of vaccines that are safe and efficient “including AstraZeneca.”

Concerns have been raised after blood clots occurred in some individuals after vaccination. Germany, France and Italy have suspended the use of AstraZeneca following Denmark, Norway and Iceland. Canada approved the use of AstraZeneca vaccine on Feb. 26. The first 500,000 doses were distributed to the provinces last week as blood-clot concerns began to arise.

In an interview with The Canadian Press, Health Canada’s chief medical adviser there is no scientific explanation to suggest a link between AstraZeneca and blood clots. Dr. Supriya Sharma says Health Canada has a “really low threshold” for adverse events that could trigger a pause in using a vaccine, and wouldn’t help to do so if something warranted it.

Mr. Trudeau said the government is following what has happened with a specific batch in Europe.

“I can reassure all Canadians that there is no dose of AstraZeneca that came from the same batch as the one that has caused concern in Europe, but at every step of the way the health and safety of all Canadians is the priority of Health Canada.”

Quebec Premier François Legault, also at the news conference, said there is no risk associated with the vaccine. “It’s important for all Quebeckers to understand that all the vaccines being offered to them are without any risk whatsoever,” said Mr. Legault.

The Danish Medicines Agency says a 60-year-old woman who died of a blood clot after receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine had “highly unusual” symptoms, notably a low number of blood platelets and clots in small and large vessels, as well as bleeding.

AstraZeneca Plc said on Sunday a review of safety data of people vaccinated with its COVID-19 vaccine has shown no evidence of an increased risk of blood clots. Both the European Medicines Agency and World Health Organization have said the vaccine is safe.

Asked about the timing of his own vaccination, Mr. Trudeau said he is focused on people who are vulnerable getting their shots first. “I am not overly focused on when my turn will come,” he said. “I will wait my turn.”

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine as some European countries have suspended its use.

During a news conference in Montreal today, the Prime Minister said public health experts are working off the best data and only allowing the use of vaccines that are safe and efficient “including AstraZeneca.”

Concerns have been raised after blood clots occurred in some individuals after vaccination. Germany, France and Italy have suspended the use of AstraZeneca following Denmark, Norway and Iceland. Canada approved the use of AstraZeneca vaccine on Feb. 26. The first 500,000 doses were distributed to the provinces last week as blood-clot concerns began to arise.

In an interview with The Canadian Press, Health Canada’s chief medical adviser there is no scientific explanation to suggest a link between AstraZeneca and blood clots. Dr. Supriya Sharma says Health Canada has a “really low threshold” for adverse events that could trigger a pause in using a vaccine, and wouldn’t help to do so if something warranted it.

Mr. Trudeau said the government is following what has happened with a specific batch in Europe.

“I can reassure all Canadians that there is no dose of AstraZeneca that came from the same batch as the one that has caused concern in Europe, but at every step of the way the health and safety of all Canadians is the priority of Health Canada.”

Quebec Premier François Legault, also at the news conference, said there is no risk associated with the vaccine. “It’s important for all Quebeckers to understand that all the vaccines being offered to them are without any risk whatsoever,” said Mr. Legault.

The Danish Medicines Agency says a 60-year-old woman who died of a blood clot after receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine had “highly unusual” symptoms, notably a low number of blood platelets and clots in small and large vessels, as well as bleeding.

AstraZeneca Plc said on Sunday a review of safety data of people vaccinated with its COVID-19 vaccine has shown no evidence of an increased risk of blood clots. Both the European Medicines Agency and World Health Organization have said the vaccine is safe.

Asked about the timing of his own vaccination, Mr. Trudeau said he is focused on people who are vulnerable getting their shots first. “I am not overly focused on when my turn will come,” he said. “I will wait my turn.”

We are dosing millions of people - if we didnt dose and just followed the population how many blood clot deaths would we expect?

About as many as has occured in europe.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
The federal National Advisory Committee on Immunization is citing enough “real-world evidence” to show the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine is both safe and effective for seniors.

It’s a decision that reverses a recommendation made by the body two weeks ago when the panel of vaccine experts said AstraZeneca hadn’t included enough people over the age of 65 in its clinical trials.

Amid concerns in Europe after blood clots occurred in some individuals after AstraZeneca vaccination, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau this week said the vaccine is safe for use in Canada.

Dr. Howard Njoo, Canada’s deputy chief public health officer, told a news conference Tuesday the benefits of AstraZeneca continue to outweigh its risks.

“Health Canada is continuing to work with international regulators, including the European Medicines Agency to determine whether there is any need to take action in Canada,” Dr. Njoo said.

Citing 380 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered worldwide, Dr. Njoo said the science is continuing to emerge on the real-world use of vaccines, providing a greater understanding on the safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines across the population

“NACI continues to analyze this emerging evidence and will adapt their advice to maximize the benefits of all COVID-19 vaccines authorized for use in Canada.”

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
From tonight's g&m newsletter...

Controversy continued to swirl around the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine on Tuesday, with the European Medicines Agency saying it has not found any evidence connecting the vaccine with blood clots, but said that a panel of experts will provide a final finding on Thursday.

“At present there is no indication that vaccination caused these conditions,” EMA executive director Emer Cooke said Tuesday.

She made her comments after more than a dozen European countries, including Germany, France and Italy, suspended use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca product following reports that a small number of people developed blood clots shortly after being vaccinated. Sweden and Latvia became the latest countries to stop using the vaccine on Tuesday.

Cooke didn’t say how many cases the EMA is reviewing but AstraZeneca has said that across the European Union and Britain, there have been 37 reports of blood clots out of 17 million vaccinations. The agency last week said it found no link between the blood clotting and the vaccine, with Health Canada and the World Health Organization reaching similar conclusions

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
The Biden administration today took a modest first step toward sharing coronavirus vaccines with the world, announcing that it intends to send 1.5 million AstraZeneca doses to Canada and 2.5 million to Mexico.

Why it matters: AstraZeneca's vaccine hasn't been approved in the U.S., and the White House has faced growing criticism for sitting on doses that could be used elsewhere.

The deal comes in the form of a loan, with the U.S. sending doses to Canada and Mexico now with the expectation that they will return doses to the U.S. later this year.
Canada and Mexico have lagged far behind the U.S. in terms of vaccinations. Both countries lack domestic production capacity, so they're reliant on imports that have been slow to arrive.
The big picture: The world has four major sources of coronavirus vaccines: China (33% of all doses produced), the U.S. (27%), the EU (19%) and India (13%), according to data shared with Axios by Airfinity, a science information and analytics company.

While China has exported around 60% of the vaccines it has produced — in part due to a low sense of urgency in China, where the virus is largely under control — the U.S. has exported 0%, focusing instead on covering all U.S. adults.
India has exported 65% of its production to date, per Airfinity, but the CEO of the country's largest producer said last month that he'd been "directed to prioritize the huge needs of India."
The EU is having a vigorous debate about whether to more tightly control exports, lamenting what it sees as an imbalance with the U.S. and U.K., which signed contracts with manufacturers guaranteeing them priority access to vaccines produced within their borders.
The trends: The U.S. is increasing production particularly quickly, which should continue as the J&J and AstraZeneca shots come on line, according to Airfinity senior analyst Matt Linley.

The EU is also rapidly increasing its output as Pfizer production scales up (Pfizer is being produced in Germany, and AstraZeneca in Belgium and the Netherlands).
Indian production is off to a slower start, in part because of delays with the AstraZeneca shot, but should be second only to China in terms of overall output by the end of the year.
Russia has made deals to sell the Sputnik V vaccine all over the world, but it lacks the production capacity of the other major players.
Brazil and Australia should be next on line, producing Sputnik V and AstraZeneca, respectively. There is currently no production taking place in Africa.
What's next: Countries around the world will continue to push for access to the vaccines the U.S. is producing — including some of the 1.3 billion doses purchased by the U.S. government — particularly after today's announcement set a precedent for dose sharing.

Worth noting: The European Medicines Agency confirmed today that the AstraZeneca vaccine is "safe and effective," advising the EU countries that had temporarily blocked it due to blood clot fears to resume distribution.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Wife's got an elementary pupil that just popped, so everyone's going remote.

Now waiting for TPH to provide the case number and protocols, and going to get the kids from school...