• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Coronavirus Pandemic

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
The massive spike in cases in Florida, Texas and other southern states is the result of Memorial Day gatherings 3 weeks ago,

2 weeks incubation
1 week till the sufferer seeks medical help
_____

3 weeks
Axios has a story that illustrates the numbers are getting worse in the US and the only reason the curve is remaining in good shape is because the cases in NY are dropping fast (because they did/are doing a great job).

praktik

TRIBE Member
MONTGOMERY ADVERTISER:
> > > Jackson Hospital pulmonologist William Saliski cleared his throat as he started describing the dire situation created by the coronavirus pandemic in Montgomery to its City Council before they voted on a mandatory mask ordinance. "It's been a long day, I apologize," he said.

"The units are full with critically-ill COVID patients," Saliski said. About 90% of them are Black. He said hospitals are able to manage for now, but it's not sustainable. "This mask slows that down, 95% protection from something as easy as cloth. ... If this continues the way it's going, we will be overrun."

More doctors followed him to the microphone, describing the dead being carried out within 30 minutes of each other, and doctors being disturbed when people on the street ask them if the media is lying about the pandemic as part of a political ploy.

After they spoke, and before the council voted on a proposal by Councilman C.C. Calhoun to mandate mask-wearing in public in Montgomery, Councilman Brantley Lyons questioned whether masks and six-foot distancing really helps. They do, the doctors replied. Lyons was unmoved. "At the end of the day, if an illness or a pandemic comes through we do not throw our constitutional rights out the window," Lyons said.

From the crowd, doctors called for him to visit the hospital sometime.

Instead, the council killed the ordinance after it failed to pass in a 4-4 tie, mostly along racial lines, with Councilman Tracy Larkin absent. Councilman Clay McInnis voted with three Black council members — Calhoun, Oronde Mitchell and Audrey Graham — in favor of the ordinance. Lyons, Charles Jinright, Richard Bollinger and Glen Pruitt voted against it.

A trio of doctors, who had waited hours to speak, got up and left the chamber in disgust. "Unbelievable," Saliski said.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/2020/06/16/montgomery-council-votes-down-mask-ordinance-doctors-disgust/3203300001/?fbclid=IwAR1KoLdIcsRszVa98YS1E6SVdqUGEwMi8cBb2CVDlnLrut25HsWUJCJydYk

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
HR rumblings of October return to the office in some form and fashion.

Reading the tea leaves, it'll flow from how well/not well the month of September goes for the school children & teachers (IMHO)...

praktik

TRIBE Member
HR rumblings of October return to the office in some form and fashion.

Reading the tea leaves, it'll flow from how well/not well the month of September goes for the school children & teachers (IMHO)...
I'm pretty sure most of us will keep working from home even when this is over.

October sounds optimistic given we don't know what the Fall will look like, and how canada is going to be sitting on top of a cesspool of disease called America @ that time

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I think the plan is going to entail a lot of masks during the commute, and a bunch of office/building health & safety policies to cover employer liability, relatively hyper shutdowns where applicable, and that's going to be it until the second wave appears and is sized. It'll be more mitigation by trial and error than municipal/regional blanket shelter in place. No way they'll shut down schools and business everywhere going forward.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Ontario has received support from the federal government for its COVID-19 tracing app, which could be downloadable for residents as soon as July 2.

The app will bolster the provincial government’s efforts to stem the spread of the virus in Ontario, which has thus far resulted in a steady reduction in cases in the past weeks.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
In Ontario, medical doctors from Toronto’s SickKids Hospital are saying that given recent data that indicates children are not superspreaders of the virus, schools should be safe to open come September.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
In Ontario, medical doctors from Toronto’s SickKids Hospital are saying that given recent data that indicates children are not superspreaders of the virus, schools should be safe to open come September.
Parents are probably going to be happy about that. I think?

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Yeah yeah. “Should be safe“. New school mascot’s name is Spike. Gonna be a great 2 months before the next shut-down. ;)

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Parents are probably going to be happy about that. I think?
Lots of ppl in my circle are, and that includes teachers, Admin (VP & Principal's), parents, grandparents, and children.

It's a small, mostly middle age, middle class, and white bubble tho...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I think our future is all about the virus getting out of control, then governments (most likely at city or even neighborhood level) clamping down to flatten severe outbreaks, over and over again, until every one of us gets the disease or a vaccine is developed. This will take years.

The political/health goals now seem to be about keeping some headroom in the ICU departments for new cases. That's the extent of it because there are no other solutions. Over time (it's even happening now) our health care workers will develop ways to improve outcomes for infected patients by trail and error, but we are all in for a new, more difficult, disease filled future.

I am still trying to understand it more fully, before I make any personal decisions about what I will do. Most likely it will be continued harm reduction: avoidance, mask wearing, hand washing, choosing carefully the places I visit and the number of people I engage with. Still, barring the discovery of a vaccine, the early modeling showed that we would all get covid-19 within 5 years anyway at the rate it was scaling (this was before mass protests). Assuming that you can't get it twice.

If we make it past 5 years well be OK, or at least will have developed better strategies to survive.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
I think our future is all about the virus getting out of control, then governments (most likely at city or even neighborhood level) clamping down to flatten severe outbreaks, over and over again, until every one of us gets the disease or a vaccine is developed. This will take years.

The political/health goals now seem to be about keeping some headroom in the ICU departments for new cases. That's the extent of it because there are no other solutions. Over time (it's even happening now) our health care workers will develop ways to improve outcomes for infected patients by trail and error, but we are all in for a new, more difficult, disease filled future.

I am still trying to understand it more fully, before I make any personal decisions about what I will do. Most likely it will be continued harm reduction: avoidance, mask wearing, hand washing, choosing carefully the places I visit and the number of people I engage with. Still, barring the discovery of a vaccine, the early modeling showed that we would all get covid-19 within 5 years anyway at the rate it was scaling (this was before mass protests). Assuming that you can't get it twice.

If we make it past 5 years well be OK, or at least will have developed better strategies to survive.
My friend caught and battled it at the beginning here (late February). She was debilitated for well over a month. She got a clean bill of health and had 3 negative tests. Now she has it again.

That either means the tests are total bullshit, or - more likely - you can get it twice.

Play safe! ;)

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Lobbyists to take a haircut?
Some of Washington's top lobbyists have had to cut their fees as clients struggle through the downturn, Axios' Hans Nichols reports.

• "We happily took haircuts in the hopes that our clients would get through this," said Sam Geduldig, a partner at CGCN Group.
What to watch: While some clients are asking for a reduction in monthly retainer fees, new customers are flocking to K Street with the expectation Congress will pass another big-ticket relief package this summer.

• Lobbyists are playing a mix of offense and defense. In addition to fighting for their share of the billions in bailouts, some industries are looking for retroactive liability shields.
  • Companies also want protections from future lawsuits, as the country starts to reopen in an uncertain world.
What we’re hearing: Among the hardest hit industries are oil and gas, airlines, tourism, hospitality, hospitals and health care.

• The banking and financial services industry appears to be weathering the storm.
  • But many trade associations are funded by formula, with member companies pledging a percentage of revenue. In recessions, they cut.
Between the lines: Some contract lobbyists, in a show of solidarity, are volunteering to cut retainer fees.

• The true size of the haircuts won’t be known until Q2 lobbying disclosures are filed in mid-July.
  • New clients will also show up on those forms.
The bottom line: Most hired guns expect the real slowdown to start in Q3 or Q4.