1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Cop dies, 4500 people attend memorial service

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by sianspherica, Mar 10, 2010.

1. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

kind of excessive?

it seems like every story I read about a police officer death, ends up being followed by a story of how his/her memorial service or funeral was attended from thousands of police officers from all over Canada and the US.

is it really necessary?

did the deceased even know 1/100th of those in attendance?

how many hours of work are lost when thousands of police travel to attend funerals for deceased police officers from across the continent.

it's not like it's a major or internationally renowned lietentant usually, it's usually some poor patrolman who got killed by a nut. It's not like Julian Fantino or someone of that level.

are cops really that loyal AND/OR sensitive that they feel the need to travel ____km to go attend a funeral for someone they did not know or nobody in their department even knew....just because they are all cops.

how many taxpayer dollars are spent when these guys expense their trips to funerals? hotels? lost manhours of work? transportation?

I'm not trying to diminish the important that someone should have full support for a funeral, but unless it's a massively public and important figure, I just think 4,000 cops attending a funeral for a fairly young officer is completely excessive.

discuss

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

I hear what you are saying, and probably cant express fully what Im trying to say, but in my mind these folks protect us from potential harm, put themselves in danger ever day.

To me, its a higher calling.

For the police and public to come out and show this level of support recognizes the importance of these people and the roles they perform.

3. sianspherica

Higher calling? LOL

They are not the Pope or the Dalai Lama.

Cops are just public service employees, and the public does need to fund some grandiose statement of these guys who feel the need to attend services and travel just to show their faces. "But sarrrrge, the liutenant for North Bay will be there, so will everrrrrybody, it's the place to be seen! we need to represent Sudbury, I'll only be gone for 4 days!"

How many police officers are in this province? Tens of thousands.

It is really necessary for your memorial service to be attended by 99% strangers, oh wait, they are not strangers, they have the same job as you. But that job is not a regular job, it's a brotherhood of sorts, one that enables you an excuse to travel across the country (on tax payer dollars?) to attend funerals for those who died doing a similar job to you.

Does that exist in the private sector? If some shlub financial services worker like me in Boston dies of a stroke tomorrow, should I tell my boss that we need to support our own and fly off to Boston. LOL fuck off.

4,500 people at a funeral is ridiculous. Is it incredibly sad that he died, and left behind a wife and a 3 year old? Hell yes. Is it incredibly sad that 500 people were slaughtered in Nigeria 2 days ago? Hacked to pieces with machetes and then piled into mass graves? Holy fucking hell yes it was. Tragic deaths occur all the fucking time. I'd rather the cops, who we pay, be on the job, protecting the streets, rather than throwing our money down the toilet so they can be seen at a funeral for someone they did not know.

4. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Police are not just public servants, not all public servants put their life in danger to serve the public.

5. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

These memorial services do ideological work in that they reinforce that po-lice are more than just citizens or public servants and that attacking one is more than an attack on an individual, it is an attack on the whole and the (partially symbolic) order they maintain.

6. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

I can see both sides of this.

Perhaps even special dispensation for cops in the same city/district, but not thousands of strangers.

7. sianspherica

I'm pretty sure that ideology is pretty widely known in the public consciousness already.

I don't think every single police in a 1000 km radius attending funerals for each other is necessary for people to be aware that "cops care about other cops and the job they do represents not just the indivual but policing as a whole" bs.

I care about our overpaid police being out in the streets keeping us safe, not half of them off-duty for a day(s) because they had to drive 5 hours to attend a funeral because some cop in ______ county died when he was _______ in the ______ while on duty, how tragic. Send half the force on this pilgrimage to show solidarity, expensing the trip.

Sidenote: I think rather than the police bemoaning the city of Toronto wanting to cut 4million from their (massssssssive) yearly budget and the police filtering that story out to the media that "less cops will be in the streets due to these cuts", maybe if the police system would realize the waste and inefficiency of these multi-yearly massive funeral trips, then they would not have to cry to the public that budget cuts will make us all less safe. Cops waste like it's going out of style and then they cry poverty.

8. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

everybody loves a parade.

9. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Have you ever been in a Passport office?

10. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

any time a public servant lips off to me, they are putting their life in grave danger

11. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

also, the bottom line is:

no employer can say shit to you for taking the day off work to attend a cop-funeral.

12. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Heh. I have seen people come close to violence at ServiceOntario centres too, but you know what I'm saying.

13. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

yes. but on the flipside you could say that laziness, donuts and shitty lunches that make their booth ass gynormous and give them heart murmurs somehow adds risk to their lives...indirectly... :p (ok i'm done now)

14. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

Zing!!!

15. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

You have a really skewed view of police, the service they provide and the bond that is created just by putting that uniform on.

Also not sure how it could be classified as excessive.

16. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

whooop!!! whooop!!!

17. Illuminati

Illuminati TRIBE Member

I'm just trying understand why you care.

18. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

You're right they aren't the pope or that other storyteller Dalai Lamea. Cops are the real ones who provide safety to our streets. The other 2 clowns just walk around in fucking drapes, waving their arms, expecting people to quit blowing each other up. More happens when a cop waves his arm around, it actually means peace. If the criminal gets shot and killed, well the guy didn't believe in peace.

19. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

2 professions every city/town is always short on: nurses and police officers, and to some extent fire fighters.

Think of all the volunteers that went to 9/11, not because they knew the individual, but because it was their profession and they felt obliged to help.

I'm pretty sure a constable is entry-level for a police officer, so the fact that he's so young and had such a tragic accident happen resonates whether you knew him or not. Really shows the bonding of that profession.

20. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that this officer is a father to many young children.

That alone breaks my heart.

Not to mention the fact that I know people who are good people....and police officers....

Yes you sign up for the job knowing that it is a life risk.....but you don't want it to end in tragedy.

21. mudbunny

mudbunny TRIBE Member

taxpayers paid for those 4500 "brothers and sisters" to attend this funeral. Cops are not soldiers yet they are honoured as if they died for us... give me a break

22. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

cool name

23. octo

octo TRIBE Member

+ 1 vote for excessive

24. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

Listen, I don't like law enforcement. Especially the OPP, as they are practically a military unit.

However the thread title is disrespectful, as he was murdered in the line of duty. He didn't simply "die".

Police, like it or not, are an essential service and have a certain place in our society.

Complaining about taxpayer's $$$ when you don't even know how many attending were on duty, switched a shift, or on their day off & came on their own dime, is petty and asinine. Not to mention how many were likely out of province or from the states.

Let's debate the dead guy's salary while we're @ it and figure out if we the taxpayer got our dollars worth for his training and yrs of service.

25. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I agree. If there are to be mass funerals, they ought to be for our Canadian soldiers who die in combat. It seems they are quietly brought back and are all lumped together in memory for remembrance day.