• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Cooking suggestions

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
So - I have some salmon and white fish at home that I bought yesterday... I have put the white fish in the freezer for later but I would like some suggestions on the salmon :) Just want to see what you can come up with...

So I have

Salmon
Mushrooms
Lemon
Spinach

What do you think :)

How should I cook it - what else can I add?

Xtatic

TRIBE Member
Salmon Boxty

you'd need to get some Alfredo sauce and Marinara or Pasta sauce to complete it though.

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
yeah I was thinking I would just put it in foil and stick it in the oven - I am not much of a cook but I'm trying :)

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by junglegirl
So I have

Salmon
Mushrooms
Lemon
Spinach
changed that to:
obviously some salt and pepper
tad of sugar (granulated or brown)
some freshly chopped up chilli peppers (like the ultra hot kind)
dash of brandy
bust that fucker on the skin side down in a lightly greased cast iron pan (covered with tin foil) so the skin will turn out nice and crunchy

bake at 400 for normal times (depending on thickness)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Salmon

spread thin layer of Mayonaise on salmon
Sprinkle a little bit of garlic powder, and dill, and parsley, bake for about 20 mins or until a burn orange.

Tastes amazing

If you're using a white sole I have used this on Orange Ruffy and I have leaned with any white fish, you can take toamto sauce, onions, peppers, mushrroms, etc...cheese on top and bake for about 20-30 mins and it's so incredible.

DJAlchemy

TRIBE Promoter
Do you have ClubHouse Cajun spice?

Smother one side of the salmon in cajun spice. Heat up a frying pan with butter in it to high heat and let it get really hot. Just before you put the salmon in the pan, turn the heat down to just below medium. Sear the cajun side of the salmon for 3-5 minutes. This should blacken all the cajun spice so it may look burnt, but infact it is only the spice (not the fish) which is black. When you flip the salmon cook it slowly until finished.

voila!

be sure to have a side of herb (or dill flavour is better) mayo for the side.

very very good.

depraved

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Cooking suggestions

Originally posted by the_fornicator

changed that to:
obviously some salt and pepper
tad of sugar (granulated or brown)
some freshly chopped up chilli peppers (like the ultra hot kind)
dash of brandy
bust that fucker on the skin side down in a lightly greased cast iron pan (covered with tin foil) so the skin will turn out nice and crunchy

bake at 400 for normal times (depending on thickness)
bake or fry or whatever, normal times = 10 mins per inch thinkness, at 400.

first rub flesh side lightly w/ olive oil, then proceed as describerd above. Personally, I substitute Iguana hot sauce for sugar and hot chili peppers, no brandy, and bake on a vented drip pan (skin still turns out nicely crisp).

malicious motive

TRIBE Member
if you've got 3 days to spare, this marinade is for you:

3 parts soya sauce (light soya)
1 part maple syrup

put in zip-loc with salmon filets and keep in fridge for 3 days

sear the skin side in hot pan for only for 2 mins max, and then slowly bake the salmon for 20 minutes at 200F

salmon is my fav fish....and this recipe works wonders everytime!

Zach.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
heat a pan up w/ butter,
add chopped onoins,
fry about 2 minutes on med. heat,
add one cup white wine, let bubble
for 1 minute,
add salt/pepper/oregano and small handfull of black olives.

add one small can of canned tomatoes.
break apart w/ a big spoon, bring to a bubble and turn heat to low so its just barley simmering,

add salmon diced up in dice sized chunks.
and cook for about 2 minutes on low heat.

take off heat and add some fresh parsley
and mix with spagetti.
and bang, nice seafood pasta cooked in the time it take the water to boil......

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by malicious motive
if you've got 3 days to spare, this marinade is for you:

3 parts soya sauce (light soya)
1 part maple syrup

put in zip-loc with salmon filets and keep in fridge for 3 days

sear the skin side in hot pan for only for 2 mins max, and then slowly bake the salmon for 20 minutes at 200F

salmon is my fav fish....and this recipe works wonders everytime!

Zach.
you essentially made a pseudo-bul gogi sauce... but for fish.

this is pretty salty for those of you who have a pretty sensitive sense of taste.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
salmon-season with salt,pepper and rub with olive oil
- sear over high heat and finish in oven

simple monte au beurre sauce
- over high heat sautee some shallots and mushrooms
- deglaze with white wine approx 100-125 ml
- add lemon juice and reduce by half
- remove from heat and add approx 60g butter and fold in
,serve over salmon

spinach
- wilt it in a pan with some butter and nutmeg,serve under salmon

Yourmamas

TRIBE Member
Try not to mangle the fish with all these added flavours.

Poach in a court bouillion, then make a sauce of ketchup, mayo, lemon, S and P, Tabasco, and Lea and Perrins. Thin it a bit with water. Dip fish as needed

futronic

TRIBE Member
This salmon doesn't have any skin - does that matter?
That shoots down the yummy (and easy) idea I was going to suggest.

Mmm mmm pan seared salmon with herbs.

-- Jay aka Fut

RhesusMonkey

TRIBE Member
This salmon doesn't have any skin - does that matter?
Fillet or steak cut? (fillets are taken along the side of the fish, steaks are cut through... end up looking like horse shoes)

I love to do steamed salmon and grilled salmon.

Steamed salmon requires that you have a steam tray (eg: something that hangs in a big pot with lots of holes in the bottom, but that will allow you to cover with a lid).

I like to do this:
first, take your pot that your steam tray fits in, and fill it with some water, a couple splashes of white wine, some vegetable stock (or a whole carrot, celery stalk and diced onion), some crushed garlic, a whole lemon, lime and orange, all juiced (throw the rinds in the pot though). bring this to a boil while covered. Keep the steam tray out. You can substitute juice extracts for the fruits, but I love to use the whole things for maximum flavour.

second, take some Kosher (sea) salt and mix it with dried or fresh dill, and some cayene pepper or lemon pepper. Take your salmon steaks (or fillets, but it works best with steaks), and rub the salt mixture on both sides, giving it a good coating. Put the steaks on the steam tray, and if the liquid mixture is boiling, reduce the heat so it stays at a rolling boil, but isn't splashing around.

Put the steam tray over the liquid, ensuring that the meat is not submerged, and then cover that. let it steam for about 20 minutes, which is just enough time to make up some rice (may want to splash some white wine and dill in with that too) and steamed Asparagus. In fact, if you're doing asparagus, you can throw it in the steam tray too for the last three to five minutes. That's enough time to really bring out the colour and soften them a bit, without wilting them all to shit. That or maybe some baby spinach with a nice light olive oil & balsamic vinegar dressing...

When you're done steaming the salmon (20 minutes tops), you'll notice that the fats have been extracted out and mixed with the salt, giving the flavour of having smothereed the meat in butter. It is, I swear to god, the best tasting fish I've ever had (or made).

Grilling is also good for the whole fish, where you basically just stuff it with lemons and wrap it in foil, and toss it on the BBQ.

For fillets, I've got an awesome recipie for cumin-cured salmon fillets with a tahini-yogurt sauce, that is also wonderful, but takes like 48hrs to prepare and you absolutely must have Sushi-grade quality meat (eg: you buy it in the store the same day it's delivered, or better you pick it up off a wharf, if you happen to be near one of the coasts...)

Hope that helps. It's actually really easy to prepare if you've got the ingredients. I use kosher salt because it's bigger chunks, which means if it hasn't all dissolved you can brush off the excess. Using table salt tends to not spread as well, and you make it taste too salty.

Also remember that when handling fish, either wear gloves, or splash lemon juice on your hands when you're done... otherwise you'll reek of fish for a few days. :)