• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Conventional Medicine vs Alternative Medicine

gubydal

TRIBE Member
Or..... Western Medicine vs Eastern Medicine

Seems like many threads are being taken over by this topic.
Discuss.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
eastern.

western medicine is just that.... medicine. Anything goes wrong with you and *BAM*, you got a prescription.

over-medicated society, mos def.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I think both are good and should be used in conjunction with each other. Especially for everyday health

But you can't disputer medicicne when you actually need it.

For example my recent health problem of shingles. I took some really expensive drugs the really helped the pain and cleared it up quite fast.

My natural medical advice included eating cooling foods, avoiding certain foods etc. I don't think on it's own this would have cleared the infection as fast as the perscription pills did.

I don't believe in taking a perscription for every illness but they do have a time and place and anyone who knows how painful shingles is would know how grateful I am the pills cleared it up really fast.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

bambam

TRIBE Member
'conventional' medicine has only been tested for a short period of time (because its pretty new).
'alternatative' medicine has been used with success for, in many cases, thousands of years.
however because of all the crap in our food, our air, our water, we need 'conventional' medicine to cure us in the absence of traditional medicine to cure new diseases. Pharmaceuticals are a solution for man-made health problems.
That being said, I cant justify taking the moral high ground with pharmaceuticals if I dont have a problem with putting recreational drugs in my system.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by gubydal
Or..... Western Medicine vs Eastern Medicine

Seems like many threads are being taken over by this topic.
Discuss.
Conv med all the way cuz it saved my life. No Eastern Med. will stop or cure cancer.

But I will say that my asthma I brought in check with other techniques.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
The trick is that you shouldn't have to take any pills with either approach. The end goal is to have a lifestyle in balance enough as to not require any form of suppliment.

"Building up your imune system in advance of..."

is a load of crap. Medically they have proven it doesn't work that way. Either you produce an antibody or you don't and the strength of your immune system is more related to how many bugs it can fight than to what bugs it can fight.

"Tincture"

ie - LOAD OF BULLSHIT!!!!! sorry I just don't believe that anything gets more powerful the more you dilute it. Prove me wrong, prove me wrong!! Now at least they are so diluted they can't hurt you.

"Western Medicine treats with pills"

Yeah true but fails to acknowledge the simple fact that Eastern Medicine treats with voodoo and grownd bark for twice the price. I've never met someone who practiced eastern medicine and didn't have at least 4 bottles of bullshit. Never have I had to take more than 2 pills with western.

I don't disagree that certain eastern remidies are effective. And I won't discount it by any means. But the people who makret it have to start being more honest and using less bullshit. This isn't just a little old lady business its worth billions and it needs some serious monitoring.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
^ some very good points. How does one build the imune system against cancer? Answer, YOU CAN'T!!
20 Years ago I would have lost my leg to cancer. 15 years ago it would have probabley killed me. 100 years ago with old and the so called Eastern Medicines I would have died. I am all for the modern when it comes to understanding the real problems and coming up with a real solution. That being said there still are many things we have not mastered or understand yet. This is the problem I all to often see with Eastern Medicine in that the the techniques used have no foundation.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

gubydal

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
Read the articles in the colon thread, and then make a better-informed opinion.
Thanks,

Those articles are actually the reason why I started this thread as they had much more to do with this topic than with colon health. Many "conventional" doctors as well as naturopaths recognize the benefits of short term fasting for colon health provided that the individual is in a relatively good state of health to begin with. When someone is not in good health a more gentle cleanse such as eating only raw fruits and veggies which provide a good source of fibre as well as vitamins and calories is a better choice.

I would say that I'm more informed than most when it comes to alternative therapies. I studied at the Institute of Aromatherapy here in Toronto and am certified by the Canadian Medical Examining Board as a Natural Health Practitioner. I work with many different therapies including traditional thai massage, lymphatic drainage massage, aromatherapy , reflexology, herbal remedies and yes, I'm a level two reiki practitioner.

I believe that alternative therapies can be used in conjunction with conventional treatments. I'm not talking about "faith healers" that perfom "surgery" removing cancerous tumors with their bare hands on a stage in front of an audience. I'm talking about the practice of holistic health. Recognizing that our health is more than just physical. Mental, emotional, physical and spiritual aspects all play a role in the overall picture of our health and I think that treatments should reflect that. I'm all about treatments that identify and treat the underlying CAUSE of the condition rather than those that focus on alleviating the physical symptoms.

Absence of physical symptoms is NOT equal to a state of good health. Physical symptoms are usually the last to manifest themsleves. We all know about the importance of early detection when it comes to any serious illness, that's because by the time the PHYSICAL symptoms are felt the illness is already quite advanced. Holistic medicine addresses the cause of the condition and treats it on all levels. Mental, emotional, physical and spiritual.

I wish you all good health.
Shawna

gubydal

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much

"Tincture"

ie - LOAD OF BULLSHIT!!!!! sorry I just don't believe that anything gets more powerful the more you dilute it. Prove me wrong, prove me wrong!! Now at least they are so diluted they can't hurt you.

I think you're talking about homeopathic remedies... they're the ultra-diluted ones. I don't know enough about homeopathic medicine to make an intelligent comment on it. I know some people who have tried it... about half of them say it works. I haven't tried it myself though... but I will at some point just to see what I think for myself.

Herbal tinctures are actually CONCENTRATED forms of the herb. Like White willow for instance, within this tree bark is a chemical called salicin from that chemists purified the aspirin precursor, salicylic acid. If you were to take a tincture of white willow for a headache you would find it quite effective. All herbs indeed all plants have active chemical properties which are the basis for aromatherapy, herbolgy and a great deal of pharmacology. Herbs are very powerful and shouldn't be taken without consulting a health practitioner well educated in the effect of herbs as well as their interactions with pharmaceuticals.

Shawna

man_slut

TRIBE Member
I think you're talking about homeopathic remedies... they're the ultra-diluted ones. I don't know enough about homeopathic medicine to make an intelligent comment on it. I know some people who have tried it... about half of them say it works. I haven't tried it myself though... but I will at some point just to see what I think for myself.

Herbal tinctures are actually CONCENTRATED forms of the herb. Like White willow for instance, within this tree bark is a chemical called salicin from that chemists purified the aspirin precursor, salicylic acid. If you were to take a tincture of white willow for a headache you would find it quite effective. All herbs indeed all plants have active chemical properties which are the basis for aromatherapy, herbolgy and a great deal of pharmacology. Herbs are very powerful and shouldn't be taken without consulting a health practitioner well educated in the effect of herbs as well as their interactions with pharmaceuticals.

Shawna
:D Ya!

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
Absence of physical symptoms is NOT equal to a state of good health. Physical symptoms are usually the last to manifest themsleves. We all know about the importance of early detection when it comes to any serious illness, that's because by the time the PHYSICAL symptoms are felt the illness is already quite advanced. Holistic medicine addresses the cause of the condition and treats it on all levels. Mental, emotional, physical and spiritual.
There is a slow shift towards acceptance within our health care system to adjunct therapies. Given the cultural make up of our population, it's inevitable.

HEALTH and ILLNESS are much more than a bunch of symptoms you may or may not have. While the human body is like an automobile, the human being is not. Health is a complex picture in which you must look at the cognitive, physical, and emotional aspects of person together if healing is to be involved. And even then, there is the issue of a person's environment. Do they live/work/play in an environment that's condusive to recovery? 99.9% of MDs have never asked where their patients live, let alone seen their home situation. Same thing with work. It's so hilarious when the insurers ask for a doctor's opinion if a client can go back to work. The usual response is "I don't know. I have no clue where they work. How would I know?"

The way a practitioner measures health as part of their philosophy of health care is what defines and limits their practice in many ways. For an orthopaedic surgeon, as soon as your fractures heal, his job is essentially done. Whether the patient can walk or not is really not his concern if the bone is set and all tests show the bone is set. He may care, if he's a good doctor, but he has other patients to see. And the bone is set, so his measure of "health" has been achieved. He will appropriately refer to the practitioner who handles the rest of this - in this case, likely physiotherapy. He's just not trained to do the job, nor is the interest of the public dollar served if a highly paid MD is doing what a well paid physiotherapist can do better.

What we as health care practitioners too often forget to do is ask the patient/client how THEY define health. In my opinion, conventional medicine is maybe less willng / maybe less able to do so and adequately meet the needs. This could be due to a much stricter reliance on evidence-based practice. Perhaps the relative lack of boundaries permits the adjunct practitioners to address such issues.

We live in very strictly governed, board-accredidated, standards and evidence-based times. As such, the movement towards holistic health care is slow...but just the other day - oddly enough, when the "Healing by Touch" thread was going fast and furious - an MD was giving an interview about something or other (I can't remember) and was saying that conventional medicine practioners need to stop dividing the person up into little categories like body, mind, OR spirit and look at the WHOLE person. She was of East Indian persuasion I believe, so the cultural belief system may have already been in place.

Anyway, my answer to you question would be the same "buyer beware" I've said a bunch of times. There are equally horrible conventional medicine practioners as there are snake-oil salesmen. Whether it is a radical mastecotomy or ground up rhinoceros penis, take a critical look at the evidence, the pros and the cons of any elective treatment before you consent to treatment.

JMan

TRIBE Member
Everyone needs to lean on conventional medicine from time to time, but the fact that it attacks symptoms means it usually can't stop chronic or reoccuring pain/problems. Combo action for sure.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JMan
Everyone needs to lean on conventional medicine from time to time, but the fact that it attacks symptoms means it usually can't stop chronic or reoccuring pain/problems. Combo action for sure.
That is not exactly true and is a very ignorant statement to make. Even if this statement is only applying to pain.