• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Consumption Reduction and Saving Money Ideas

MoFo

TRIBE Member
^
Yes

Check Now Events section for free things to do: there are always all kinds of things going on.

Ice-skating if you're so inclined (why do I think you're not? :) )

Borrow movies from the library (you probably download stuff, but just in case..).
Ha. Well, I like cross country and snowshoeing but not skating. I don't know how.
And I worked for the library for years so I don't set foot in there if I don't have to.

Movies is a good call. I should just watch movies for a whole year. Haha.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Anyone got a good recipe for home air fresheners? Like not something that will mask stuff but maybe something to clear it out like baking soda? Though Febreze is non-toxic and organic, man is that shit expensive.

erika

TRIBE Member
Anyone got a good recipe for home air fresheners? Like not something that will mask stuff but maybe something to clear it out like baking soda? Though Febreze is non-toxic and organic, man is that shit expensive.
Opening windows on a regular basis is good :p
Candles (not scented, just plain) can help also, depending on what it is.

Don't some of the museums and galleries and stuff do free nights?
Yes, the AGO does a free Wednesdays for certain hours.
And MoFo, Thursdays are still art opening nights and those are always free.

Cydome

TRIBE Member
Fabreze is organic?

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

MoFo

TRIBE Member
So I read on Apartment Therapy. It's actually not made with anything that peculiar or strange apparently.

And don't those AGO evening things cost like $12 or something? I've seen them do evening parties for young professionals.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Or not:

Chemical Sensitivity in Mainstream Medical Documentation: The 80+ Chemicals Detected in Febreze

Febreze's cast of characters includes chemicals listed amongst the Car-
cinogenic class, the Genotoxic/Mutagenic class, the Hepatotoxic Class
(liver cell killers,) Cell-mediated allergens, Neurotoxins, Reproductive
Toxins, Respiratory Irritants/Bronchoconstrictors, Indoor Air Pollutants,
and oxidative chemicals which produce allergenic compounds whenever
exposed to air. This product is NOT for small pets and children in any
capacity. Neither is it for respiratory disease patients and those suffer-
ing from allergic dermatitis.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Yeah, reusing plastic bags as waste bin liners is smart. Now, if you were to instead use those bags as luggage on the Greyhound, that would be ghetto.

erika

TRIBE Member
So I read on Apartment Therapy. It's actually not made with anything that peculiar or strange apparently.

And don't those AGO evening things cost like $12 or something? I've seen them do evening parties for young professionals.
Febreze organic? I never thought so.

Mofo, I think you're referring to the first Thursday "party" thing that AGO launched recently; that one costs, however the permanent collection is free every Wednesday from 6 to 8:30

erika

TRIBE Member
Yeah, reusing plastic bags as waste bin liners is smart. Now, if you were to instead use those bags as luggage on the Greyhound, that would be ghetto.
I can't believe anyone would buy a specialized plastic bag for an indoor wastebasket/garbage.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Febreeze is horrible... my daughter has a chemical sensitivity - the "allergic dermatitis" thing they mention there - febreeze is one of the worst suspects to give her a rash. It's annoying too because some people really coat their houses in it so she has to be careful at friends houses sitting on recently sprayed couches and things.

derek

TRIBE Member
I can't believe anyone would buy a specialized plastic bag for an indoor wastebasket/garbage.
so why do markets sell millions of them?

i reuse grocery bags for the organic waste (smaller container) and for the dry garbage an actual garbage bag (it's a 40 L container). i go through a box a year. hardly breaks the bank.

also, where are you all getting the plastic bags to reuse, they cost $0.05. not free at all.

febreeze is gross don't use that crap.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I woke up this morning and ordered some crack.

There was a guy on my couch, we got to know each other, he went for a shower.

So I started looking at the stereo system in my house. I haven't engaged it since 2008 when ipods and iphones started getting popular.

I called the white drug dealer, nice Serbian guy.

I got this "stereo" when my grandma died. I wasn't on the continent at the time, but she left a "tape" in the machine.

I am currently listening to the "tape".

My father collects antiques, mostly clocks, but also grammaphones. He has one, real vinyl, "Nigger loves a Watermelon".

The Serbian guy has the most gentle face. Ivory skin and the most unusual eyes. Not quite ebony, not quite onyx, somewhere in the middle, where molybdenum really sparkles. Aha, and look at him, full of life and energy! Oh here is the proof of the absense of God, for, were there one, he wouldn't make such a mistake as to put such a beautiful man in front of me.

And now there's more...

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
And so it happened that his compatriot was a Palestinian. Obviously a Muslim. Oh, we had a chit chat about the merits of religion, bacon, and alcohol.

He did drink a few of my beers so I decided it unwise or otherwise useless to point out the hypocrasy. Frankly, I was more interested in the Serbian. Gentle, striking.

me> "So, why do you go on believing?" I purposely left the question ambiguous.
him> "I was brought up this way."

Oh, I see.

Well about this time, a lot of money changed hands and topics turned elsewhere, but the Muslim remained squarely flat on my carpet and so I asked further:

me> "Well, how old were you when you became a Muslim?"
him> "I think, three or four." He sipped his beer here.
Serbian> "Well, if it's available I want to move in right now."
Accountant> "Jeff, I don't know if this is a good idea."
me> "I don't remember when I was baptized, but apparently that makes me Catholic."
him> "I thought you were atheist?"
Serbian> "I can bring my own bed."
me> "I am."
Accountant> "Well, I might want to move in too."
Muslim> "Wow that's odd, I never heard about a gay Muslim before."
me> "Well, whoever shows the money first."

-jM
A&D