• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Conspiracies

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
#10YearChallenge serves up biometric bonanza

"The #10YearChallengegained widespread traction on social media this month. It calls for posting two photos of yourself side by side — one from today and one from a decade ago ... People are participating mostly on Facebook and Instagram, which is owned by Facebook," the N.Y. Times' Jacey Fortin writes:

• Now some are starting to worry: "Are we unknowingly helping giant corporations to improve their algorithms for biometric identification and age progression?"
  • "Supporters of facial recognition technologies said they can be indispensable for catching criminals or finding missing people. But critics warned that they can enable mass surveillance or have unintended effects that we can’t yet fully fathom."
"Lauren A. Rhue, an assistant professor of information systems and analytics at the Wake Forest School of Business, said the #10YearChallenge could conceivably provide a relatively clean data set for a company that wanted to work on age-progression technology."

• "But she added that Facebook already has billions of photographs on its platform, and people should be wary of any company being in possession of such a large trove of biometric data."
"Tech Humanist" author Kate O'Neill set off the wave of skepticism by writing on WIRED:

Imagine that you wanted to train a facial recognition algorithm on age-related characteristics and, more specifically, on age progression (e.g., how people are likely to look as they get older). Ideally, you'd want a broad and rigorous dataset with lots of people's pictures. It would help if you knew they were taken a fixed number of years apart—say, 10 years.
Facebook responds: "The 10 year challenge is a user-generated meme that started on its own, without our involvement. It’s evidence of the fun people have on Facebook, and that’s it."

praktik

TRIBE Member
This is the best quote:

"And I, myself, have almost had like a form of psychosis back in the past where I basically thought everything was staged, even though I’m now learning a lot of times things aren’t staged.”