1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Conservative Platform:dicuss

Discussion in 'Politics (deprecated)' started by swilly, Jun 11, 2004.

1. swilly

swilly TRIBE Member

I am suprised there is no thread about this but... here are my thoughts.

1) Anyone else find it funny that a group that hassles the NDP and liberals about being big spenders has a budget 3 times that of the liberals and almost double that of the NDP.
    Where are they going to get all the money for this?

2) Helicopter aircraft carriers and more money to Irag and afghantisan. Honestly, that 600 million we sent to Iraq and to afghantisn could provide some actual development and progress in places like India an south africa or somalia or sudan even. In countries like Iraq I feel it is a waste of money as there is littel control and little indigenous support. Anyone who has taken any classes in development knows that no matter how good of an idea you have or how much funding you have, development does not work unless there is local support. The local population will do all they can to prevent its succuss untill they see it as something to benefit them and something they have a say in. It happens with aboriginal development all the time.

Thus that money for forigen aid and military funds:big waste we could use it for high speed rail or whatever

3) Big corporate tax cuts: here is my major problem with elminating government grants to decrease taxes it harms small innovative bussines. Many small companys especially in "non tradtional " secotors like environmental technology get thier start with government grants. These grants provide alot of good for local canadian industry. I would much rather see more money for them then see more money for MNCs as defined by toyota,ford, mcdonalds etc.. They have no interest in us and as soon as the resources or whatever it is they are interested in is gone they will pack up and leave. Look at logging companies. this relates to my central problem with more tax cuts for canadian resource companies Ie. Inco

4) tax cuts for middle income: eh why not I suppose i dont have much of a problem with that.

5) Creation of private land on aboriginal reservations: They did this in the states in the 1920s and it resulted in 30 percent of all aboriginal lands being owned by non aboriginals. As my people are not sufficently educated as of yet and have not overcome issues such as alcholism, effective financial management and other matters the application of private lands ideas, will result in poor natives selling of thier lands for short term material gain. This happened in the states and I am sure it will happen again I agree that it is hard for natives as we cannot get mortgages on revervations but... perhaps then we should set up native loan agencys that could reposses the land back into the native pool not the general nation.

well.... ok there are my thoughts
    carry on dear children

swilly

2. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Bigger budget than any other party

Compensating for anything?

Moved to Premature Ejaculation thread.

3. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Harper heads for minority
    NDP at 19% nationally, Bloc at 54% in Quebec
    Tories now leading among voters in Ontario

SUSAN DELACOURT
    OTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF

The Conservatives are poised to win a minority government on June 28, according to a Toronto Star poll released today.

Now the front-runners in the election campaign, the Conservatives have 33.8 per cent support nationally compared to the Liberals' 30 per cent, and are leading in almost every region of the country, including Ontario, where more than a third of the seats in the House of Commons are up for grabs.

In Ontario, Conservatives now have 38 per cent support while the Liberals, who now have almost all the province's seats, are at just 34 per cent. Ontario has 106 of the 308 seats across the country.

The New Democrats are holding strong nationally, with 18.9 per cent, and even more in Ontario, with 21 per cent support.

The big news, though, is that the Conservatives have translated their forward momentum in the election campaign to a clear lead over a ruling Liberal party once expected to waltz to a fourth consecutive majority government under the new leadership of Prime Minister Paul Martin.

Canadians may be getting used to the idea of Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper instead, the poll shows.

"The public is catching up with the notion that a Conservative government is entirely possible and those turning to the Conservatives do not appear to be alarmed," said Frank Graves, president of EKOS Research Associates, which carried out the survey for the Toronto Star and La Presse.

"The Conservative party is moving into a position to win."

Graves said "the key move is declining support for the Liberals, rather than burgeoning support for the Conservatives.

"Somewhat astonishingly, the prospect of a Conservative majority government is now coming into focus."

The Conservatives' surge into the lead was tracked from Monday to Wednesday, through 2,117 interviews with Canadians 18 years of age and older.

The results are considered accurate within 2.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

But while the poll shows that Canadians may not be alarmed at the prospect of a Conservative victory, they also may not be fully aware that it's a real possibility yet.

When EKOS asked which party people expected to win the election, more than half, 52 per cent of respondents said the Liberals would emerge victorious.

More than two-thirds — 69 per cent — said they believed Canada would end up with a minority government after June 28.

Yet the Conservatives' new, front-running status would appear to indicate that any minority government would not be led by the Liberals.

Poll respondents did not show any clear preference on whether a Liberal or Conservative government, minority or majority, would be best for the country. In fact, 26 per cent thought that a Liberal minority would be best, while almost that same number, 25 per cent, thought a Conservative majority would be the best thing for Canada.

EKOS found a lot of volatility in the electorate as well as areas where there is potential for the tide to turn against the Conservatives.

Women and young people are most resistant to the Conservatives' lure, the poll found.

For instance, while 38 per cent of the male respondents were leaning to the Conservatives, just 30 per cent of the women polled were Conservative-inclined.

"If the election was held today with only women, the Liberals would clearly win," Graves says.

Martin is due to make a major speech to business women in Toronto today.

The age divide shows up in the under-25 set, who are more likely to vote Liberal than for any other party, the poll shows.

But they are also far less likely to vote.

In the meantime, the Conservatives are the favourite of 38 per cent of people aged 45-64 and 43 per cent of respondents over the age of 65.

These are also the people who told EKOS researchers in greater numbers that they were more likely to be voting on June 28.

"Younger Canadians, who are overwhelmingly more optimistic, progressive and tolerant in their outlook, appear to have ceded the future of the country they will inherit to a much more pessimistic, intolerant and skeptical cohort: the `grumpies,'" Graves says.

Voters' interest levels in this election are running high, with 68 per cent of people saying they were "absolutely likely" to cast a ballot.

Another 17 per cent of people said they were very likely to vote.

During the 2000 election, voter turnout hovered at just 60 per cent.

Conservative-leaning voters seem most highly motivated, with 74 per cent saying they were absolutely likely to cast a ballot.

The poll also shows that fully 38 per cent of Canadians are either somewhat or very likely to change their minds about their voting choice between now and June 28.

"Little has gelled; there is still substantial superficiality to current attachments, which are capable of profound movement," Graves said.

The problem for Liberals wanting to counter the Conservative trend is that their vote is loose and apparently uninspired by the campaign to date.

"Current Liberal supporters are united more by a fear of Harper than by the vision put forth by the Liberal party," Graves said.

Liberal fortunes continue to plummet in Quebec.

The Bloc Québécois is now soaring at 54 per cent, with its voters least likely to change their vote, while the Liberals are down at 22 per cent support.

EKOS is finding good news for the New Democrats in its polling, describing the party as currently in the midst of a "renaissance."

"The NDP (is) well over double their support from 2000 and now appearing poised to exert considerable influence in a minority parliament," Graves said.

NDP support is concentrated in key areas where there is real prospect of electoral gains, EKOS found, such as in Toronto, British Columbia, the Prairies and the Atlantic region.

The big problem for the NDP, Graves said, is that the polling reveals some worry that supporting New Democrats would lead to a Conservative victory.

A full 29 per cent of NDP supporters expressed this concern, while 41 per cent of Liberals — who might be tempted to back New Democrats — were worried about inadvertently casting a vote that would increase the chances of a Conservative government.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1086905413393&call_pageid=968332188774&col=968350116467
    -------------------

I'm starting to face the reality that the conservatives are about to win the election. This is the reality of a faltering liberal party and a strong showing of the NDP. With the growing Green party and now a unified alternative we are about to see a switch of power.

I have been and will continue to predict that Harper is in fact going to be the next PM. This is standard practice, traditionally Ontario sides opposite to their provincial party. We are Liberal provincially so it’s going to be conservative federally.

To bad, much as I want to see Martin gone I hate to see it go to Harper. But that’s what he gets for stabbing the old man in the back.

4. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Avoid hot-button issues, Tories told
    Conservative candidates warned by party to tread carefully on social values

OTTAWA (CP) — The Conservative campaign team has reminded the party's 308 candidates to stick to the election platform and avoid providing fodder for Liberal broadsides over social policy issues.

The missive went out last week following public statements by MP Cheryl Gallant that opened old wounds in the conservative flank.

It seems some Tory candidates didn't fully understand the subtext.

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper spent more time on the election trail today parrying questions about gay rights and same-sex marriage after another candidate cited biblical teachings that homosexuality is not natural.

Harper responded that the party has reminded Frank Luellau of Kitchener, Ont., that it is Conservative policy to respect "the lifestyles of consenting adults."

Partisans at a rally in Brampton, Ont. — clearly fed up with media questions about gay rights, abortion and other social issues — heckled and swore at a reporter.

It was the latest conservative-values speed bump for a party that currently has momentum in the polls but has been damaged by allegations of a hidden social agenda in past elections.

Conservative strategists are acutely aware of the perils.

"If it were possible for us to control what our candidates or even parliamentarians say, we would have started to do it a long time ago," party spokesman Jaroslav Baran joked today, after sources confirmed the warning to candidates.

"What we did last week, after Cheryl Gallant became a fairly prominent story, our field support staff called our candidates just to remind them of the difference between personal opinion and party policy," said Baran.

"If personal opinions are given to media, it should be made clear that they are personal opinions. And when they're speaking for party policy, it should be made clear this is our party policy."

In fact, Luellau did just that, telling the Globe and Mail that his views on homosexuality were personal and that he wouldn't attempt to "impose my will on the country, or on Parliament."

But his comments follow those of Gallant, the Ottawa-area MP, who last week said the Conservative caucus wants to repeal legislation that places sexual orientation in Canada's anti-hate law. Gallant was then quoted from an earlier anti-abortion rally equating abortion to terrorism.

The Liberals have jumped on the comments, as has the media. Some Tory candidates say they're starting to hear concerns expressed when they go door-knocking.

"I have never said the word `abortion' in two (previous) election campaigns and I've been forced to say it twice in two days," Conservative MP Gerald Keddy said today from his riding on Nova Scotia's south shore.

"It's very simple: it's not in our policy, it's not part of our policy, it's not going to be part of our policy."

Two Alberta MPs, Rob Anders and Myron Thompson, cancelled a speaking engagement Tuesday in Airdre, Alta., where they were to address a rally for the repeal of sexual orientation in Canada's hate law.

A spokesman in Anders' office said the local campaign team decided the rally was "off message" after consulting with head office. Thompson would only say he consulted the national campaign about one particular meeting and decided not to go.

"Nobody will muzzle me," said the MP for Wild Rose. "I'll go to what meetings I think I need to go to and I will set my own agenda."

The party says it gets calls every day from candidates "related to official messaging" and party policy. It's just part of a national campaign, said Baran.

MP John Reynolds, the Conservative campaign co-chairman, said both Harper and Liberal Prime Minister Paul Martin are devout church-goers, but both have separated their faith from their public policy roles.

No one is being muzzled, said Reynolds.

"You've got 308 candidates. Somebody gets before a group and they're going to say something ... What individual candidates say may sometimes be embarrassing, but it's not the policy of the party."

---------------------

Step one,

Keep your mouthes shut and don't play inot there hands.

Step two,

Don't give them quotes that will get your ass kicked by the media

Step three,

Sit back and win election

5. triplem

triplem TRIBE Member

I like that statement :D

Don't worry, me and my offspring will prove this to be correct!!!

6. junglisthead

junglisthead TRIBE Member

what im pissed off about, is the fact, this party is not a true conservative party

ITS THE GODDAM ALLIANCE/REFORM PARTY in sheeps clothing.......

this is the same party who brought us stockwell day

they are redneck freaks that are going to cause more problems than good

if they get elected, this country will be going to hell in a handbasket

7. swilly

swilly TRIBE Member

I am all pissed off that we were supposed to talk about thier budget in this thread and we are not.

Goddammit

swilly