• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Conrad

HotSauce

TRIBE Member
"Greed has been severely underestimated and denigrated — unfairly so, in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with avarice as a motive, as long as it doesn't lead to anti-social behaviour."

You, Sir, will make December 10th my Christmas.

HotSauce

TRIBE Member
"A federal judge in Chicago on Monday said she considers 78 to 97 months — six to a little more than eight years — to be an "appropriate" sentence for Conrad Black".

Boo

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
oh this judge will give him time but it is expected already reduced from the 25 years it could be for the crime. then the inevitable appeal i bet he gets house arrest for a year and a megafine.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Wiseman said:
oh this judge will give him time but it is expected already reduced from the 25 years it could be for the crime. then the inevitable appeal i bet he gets house arrest for a year and a megafine.
Wiseman, please read a bit more about the differences between U.S. and Canadian sentencing. Especially when concerning a non-citizen.

In addition, there was never any serious chance of 25 years. In their typical self-righteous zeal, the prosecutors were seeking up to 20. The judge a few minutes ago announced he'd be facing 6-8 years.

And make no mistake, he'll serve pretty much all his time behind bars.

HotSauce

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
When is the actual sentencing? It's later today, right?
The sentencing hearing is happening right now.

The judge has already 'tipped her hat' suggesting that the sentence will likely be between 6-8 years

Vincent Vega said:
And make no mistake, he'll serve pretty much all his time behind bars.
Correct... Wouldn't be eligible for bail for about 5 1/2 years if it's a 6 1/2 year sentence.

HotSauce

TRIBE Member
I also find it funny that Michael Vick's sentence hearing was today.
Barbara Amiel wrote an article in Macleans a few weeks back using that case to draw parallels and attack the U.S. justice system.