• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Connected: booyaaaa bassssssss!!!!!!

BreakzBroad

TRIBE Member
For a last minute decision to go to the party, I had a really good time. (although i forgot my i.d, and didn't get to hear d-monic or dj monkey.....grrrrrr.........)but the night shaped up when i saw lotza ppl. i hadn't partied with in a while. The musik had me danicin' all nite from 1-6...the crowd was energetic and hyped up ...(especially for daft punk--> harder, better, faster, stronger, along with fatboy slim --> what the fuck?)

Overall a really good nite.....always a fun nite with Leo and Mike around!!

*jen*

Mortyman

TRIBE Member
Well, first off, because I thought it was the greatest party ever, I walked in and immediatly had Wintergalactic Flashbacks, and right then and there, I knew it was going to be a good night!

Pretty much walked and sat around til House music came on, just to get the feel for the place. Made our way to the front of the place and there we stayed all night. It was a great spot. It was really, REALLY, frustrating to just walk around. I took, what seemed, 5 minutes to walk from the front to the back, so why move from a place of enjoyment.

DAMN, I didn't know they changed the line-up, found out just right now. Still a great night though, heard some Freaking Awesome tracks get laid which kept everybody moving.

Besides the overcrowdedness, all in all, a great party! Congratulations Dose!

Kris

headwinds

TRIBE Promoter
Who spun between 3:30-4:30? Scott Otto?

The music was definitely aimed at keeping bodies on and brains off. Too bad there werent more atmospheric or soulful vocal tracks to make us stop for at least 10 secs and dwell on the significance of connecting everyone. no mention of the other cities involved. no group hugs.

The photo visuals were the same as Bittersweet, and even more monotonous on separate screens. As for the 3D plug-in, nice first impression - bloodly awful 35th. I wanted to un-plug it! The lasers were far more stimulating and retina-frying, and hopefully helped keep more of the floor-dwellers vertical.

It seems that the masses got what they wanted...a provincial sense of critical mass but no national connection.

headwinds.

QuanNeur

TRIBE Member
I came from Montreal to go to this party as the lineup was attractive and I like embarking upon new and different dance quests. Jesus guys, I was seriously let down. When we arrived at 1AM the lineup was less than 10 meters long but it still took us well over an hour of waiting in the cold to get in. Once we did, we found the venue packed to the rafters.. ugly. I had been expecting to party at the automotive center but we were told by some people that the venue had been changed because pre-sales were weak and from other people because of "security issues". whatever.
Sound was very decent but lacking in the back. Lighting was OK. Standard laser and fixtures.. not enough in the area with the lower ceiling, I thought. Visuals were by far the worst I've ever seen. A grainy, 8 second clip of a plug entering a socket, over and over all night. woohoo. Every time I looked up at it I just wanted to scream.
The lineup mixup, what the hell was that? I asked at least a dozen people who was playing when and no one could tell me. Anyone from dose think of posting a freaking playlist?! So apparently Pooley was on when we got in. Nice, but I only heard a half hour of it. I'm not a fan of Darren Emerson and I thought his set was just silly. Some of his tracks were all right and his mixing was tight, but there was no flow to his set and it seemed to go nowhere.. the way he had it programmed was just so random-- entirely uncohesive. I thought DJ Dan was pretty damn good, though. I thought it was best in the last 45 mins when he decided to seriously pick up the funk and even get a little discoey. right on. Deko-ze was a nice surprise! Didn't know it was him until the end but enjoyed his set thoroughly. Haven't liked him the last few times I saw him, granted that was years ago.

Big problem - I was horrified when people started stripping down the venue before Deko-ze was even done his set. at 7:30 (not considering the time change) the venue is ALREADY being pulled apart?! Is this what I paid $50 at the door for? God-awful.

The lineup at coatcheck was ridiculous. Even at 5am there was a 45 min lineup. There were maybe two or three people working it for several thousand people. nice one.

I also wonder why everyone went home so damn early?? Hell, I was sober and I still wasn't ready to go home. The venue was empty by the time the party ended and people were leaving all night from the time we got there. In Montreal, a dancefloor will still be covered with 8 or 9000 people at 11AM. And the party sure as hell won't shut down at 7:45AM. In fact it's often the case that the superclubs out here stay open well into the next day, sometimes until 6 or 7PM the evening after.

Judging by all the positive comments about this party on this board and the general attitude going on at Connected I am thinking that you people in Toronto have totally lost touch with what a party should be, and I'm really disgusted that many of you are satisfied with such a fucking cash-grab of a party like Connected was. it's horrifying. you guys need a reality check.

QuanNeur

TRIBE Member
forgot to mention, security were complete assholes, yelling at everyone once the party was done, even outside in the street.

$2 PER ITEM at coat check?! oh yeah, real nice.

And what was "connected" about this party? I saw nothing from other cities.

What a sham.

Right on QuenNeur. The promotors here in Toronto don't give a rats ass about the people attending there parties. It's all about more money in there pockets and providing a poor environment & services for the patrons.

For example SoundClash. Money Money Money Money... Money! Over-Crowded? YES. Security treat people like SHIT? YES. Line-up 2 1/2 hours? YES. Promoters don't give a FUCK? YES.

I feel pitty for all the newbees and people out there that think these parties are actually good.
*Cringes in Disgust*

The party scene in TO is NO more.

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
I have removed my photos because they will be featured in a photodocumentary on neksis.com soon. Either wait for the photodoc or go to neksis and look in the members photo section (I've put them in under Rave Events and People) if you would like to see them.

Thanks,
Aimee

starr

TRIBE Member
sigh, i don't know how to review this event, i just want to say that before i get into it.

I am aware that lifeforce was having chaotic problems, but I mean at $35 for early bird tickets you SHOULD be working your ass off making sure this party comes together well. Maybe the people at lifeforce just don't care anymore, and that's fine too, but don't expect to get thanx from me for doing dick all for your party.

The doors did not open at 8pm. People were waiting outside. The set times were all screwed up - which is a bitch. I couldn't see the dj, maybe some people don't care about this, but I didn't feel all that "connected". The chill room (which was supposed to have some music piped through those little mini speakers) didn't have any music at all. The venue was far too over-packed.

All that said I had a good time, BUT it was definitely because of the people at this event, and didn't have much to do with lifeforce at all. At first when people started randomly cheering in the chill room I just thought wtf? But after a while I was joining in, or starting the screaming (heh). It sort of gave me the "yeah, we're all here, and yes we know a lot of things about this party suck, but it doesn't matter because WE ARE THE PARTY, and we're gonna have a great time anyway dammit!" feel. Maybe no one else felt that, but I totally did.

I was not at the party for the jungle, so I didn't mind staying in the chill room at the beginning and avoiding the over-packed madness that was the main room. When I did want to head into the main room, it was craziness...let's just say I had to stay in the back for awhile - where sound was not great. Finally near the end of DJ Dan's set I decided I didn't care anymore, and moved to the front. Dan is the man, that's all that needs to be said! Cannot wait for his return
The best thing about this party is that I think I found another favourite local: deko-ze. If it was him that played Pearl Jam's "Better Man", then I think I am in love with him too. Very nice. For all the hardcore partiers that were with me until the end, it was nice to have company!

One more complaint about lifeforce (although this could be directed to the docks): What the fuck was the idea in turning the heat off at like 7AM? If it was the docks that insisted on it, at least tell me that someone at dose was bitching about it and trying to fix the situation. I can't remember the exact time, but all I know is that it was freezing at the docks in the morning, not cold, BUT FREEZING. Even dancing couldn't keep me super warm, i'm shivering just thinking about it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by QuanNeur:
I also wonder why everyone went home so damn early?? Hell, I was sober and I still wasn't ready to go home. The venue was empty by the time the party ended and people were leaving all night from the time we got there. In Montreal, a dancefloor will still be covered with 8 or 9000 people at 11AM. And the party sure as hell won't shut down at 7:45AM. In fact it's often the case that the superclubs out here stay open well into the next day, sometimes until 6 or 7PM the evening after.

Judging by all the positive comments about this party on this board and the general attitude going on at Connected I am thinking that you people in Toronto have totally lost touch with what a party should be, and I'm really disgusted that many of you are satisfied with such a fucking cash-grab of a party like Connected was. it's horrifying. you guys need a reality check.
</font>
WOW, i couldn't agree with QuanNeur more. This was NOT a last minute party, lifeforce is NOT a small production company. Yes, many changes happened last minute, deal with it...if that means that you have to turn away people at the door and not overpack the venue then do it. Don't try and do things to make your capacity larger, when you know that most people will want to be in the main room and not in the chill room. Especially once you find out that there is not going to be music in the chill room. This party really sucked, I just happened to be with some really amazing people that wouldn't let me have a bad time. Lifeforce does one thing right, bring amazing dj's into Toronto. However, unless I desperately need to see that dj, I do not attend their events. Mainly because they don't seem to care at all about the crowd, all they care about is the cash. I kinda hope that some other production company will take over their role in our scene (sonic state/phlux? anyone???) because I'm getting sick of the crap that they call a party.

I didn't think I could write this much, but with everyone posting "I had such a good time", well I just think you should consider why. Anyway, I give this party maybe 2 stars out of 4, it shouldn't have been more than $20-$25 max.

Kung Po Beef

TRIBE Member
I was one of those people that had a blast at this party.
The place was packed up, smiling friendly people. Cool air. A huge wicked tent with lots of seating to chill.
And most of all great music from world class djs - all of them showing up.
I not sure what you expect from a production company...sounds to me you'd like them to dance and party for you.
A party is what you make of it and Saturday was definately a good party.
It's too bad you couldn't get into it.
Maybe next time try not nitpicking every detail. You might enjoy yourselfs a bit more.

QuanNeur

TRIBE Member
I'm sorry if I sounded a little anal before and I shouldn't have criticized Toronto as a whole in my review.. that was silly. I have had many awesome times in the city, afterall.

As for what I expect from a production company, I expect to be treated like a human being, meaning with some level of respect.
At Connected I felt like some lowly lifeform that was taken in, chewed up, and spat out by some gargantuan and completely commercial and industrial engine.
I felt completely disrespected and in shock that lifeforce intends me to be satisfied with what went on there.. you know?
Because people are so young in the party scene they don't realize what should be offered as courtesy at an event. If this had been some massive retro 80's dance with 30 and 40 year olds in the crowd and the washrooms had been that dirty, the venue had been that cold, people had to spend %35 of their time there in lineups, and had to pay that much to be there, with that level of disorganization etc, etc, etc, then the production company responsible would have a class action law suit on it's hands. Just because we're young (I'm 21) doesn't mean we should let ourselves be walked all over.
And I realize that some of you will say that expecting so much from a party goes against the whole ethos of rave, but we also need to realize that the days of true rave are pretty much gone and in a world of commercial parties like Connected where promoters make big bucks we really do need to stand up for our rights and make sure our money isn't just funding a promoter's jamaican holiday or something like that.. otherwise it will happen again and again.

Par- T

TRIBE Member
The good and the bad of Connected '01

Good: got there at 12 and was inside in less than 2 min.
Bad: coat check was incredibly slow, waited over 1hr to get to the desk and they only had 2 people working it - wtf?
Good: there was a licenced area
Bad: long line to get inside and no organisation - just a bunch of people pushing.
Good: lots of people there who looked like they were enjoying themselves
Bad: way too overcrowded, no room to move or dance, everytime I found a space to dance it was soon over-run with people wandering around. Very frustrating to start to get into a groove and then to be stopped by people parking directly infront and getting bumped into ~grrr~. Spent most of the party, all cool and not sweating because I couldn't do anything at all other than stand and watch.
Good: all the DJs showed up
Bad: had no idea who was playing and when they were on (and I even brought the list of set times with me). I thought the DJs were on the stage hidden behind all the other people up there, even complained that they were so far back and being blocked from view. Didn't find out that they were on the small booth above the bar area until the end of the night.
Good: there was a nice chill out tent
Bad:it was full of sketch cases and no tunes.
Good: to see so many TBK and meet a couple of new ones
Bad:see them once and no hope of meeting up again due to the crowd.
Bad:one room party, I like it better divided up, so I can get a change of pace through the night.
Bad:sound in back room sucked.

Anyway I did have fun but it definately could have been better. Don't know why they bother to call it connected when there is no connection to the other parties at all.

Cheers to: MalGlo, Jay and your friend (I don't remember her name
), Suke, Smiley Jo, Svet, McBee, Futronic, Susan, Norm, Hawkeye and anyone else I'm forgetting.

BreakzBroad

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by QuanNeur:

some people have to work the next day, or have important things that they need to get done. At least people showing up at parties like this, still shows that they support our scene. Also, Toronto has had problems struggling to keep these parties on as late as we do already, nevermind 11am. Toronto's got one of the sickest scene's, and it always will!

</font>
Maybe you should just learn to enjoy all of the positive aspects of a party, rather than focusing on the negative ones.

*jen*

Kung Po Beef

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Par- T:
The good and the bad of Connected '01

Good: got there at 12 and was inside in less than 2 min.
Bad: coat check was incredibly slow, waited over 1hr to get to the desk and they only had 2 people working it - wtf?
Good: there was a licenced area
Bad: long line to get inside and no organisation - just a bunch of people pushing.
Good: lots of people there who looked like they were enjoying themselves
Bad: way too overcrowded, no room to move or dance, everytime I found a space to dance it was soon over-run with people wandering around. Very frustrating to start to get into a groove and then to be stopped by people parking directly infront and getting bumped into ~grrr~. Spent most of the party, all cool and not sweating because I couldn't do anything at all other than stand and watch.
Good: all the DJs showed up
Bad: had no idea who was playing and when they were on (and I even brought the list of set times with me). I thought the DJs were on the stage hidden behind all the other people up there, even complained that they were so far back and being blocked from view. Didn't find out that they were on the small booth above the bar area until the end of the night.
Good: there was a nice chill out tent
Bad:it was full of sketch cases and no tunes.
Good: to see so many TBK and meet a couple of new ones
Bad:see them once and no hope of meeting up again due to the crowd.
Bad:one room party, I like it better divided up, so I can get a change of pace through the night.
Bad:sound in back room sucked.

Anyway I did have fun but it definately could have been better. Don't know why they bother to call it connected when there is no connection to the other parties at all.

Cheers to: MalGlo, Jay and your friend (I don't remember her name
), Suke, Smiley Jo, Svet, McBee, Futronic, Susan, Norm, Hawkeye and anyone else I'm forgetting.
</font>

Par- T

TRIBE Member
Hey KPB, are you agreeing with me, did I say everything you wanted to say or did something screw up and it deleted what you wanted to say?

need the 411.

Omen

TRIBE Member
Awesome time! Was a little packed at first, but once we made our mark on the floor it was all good. Took a while to get used to the dj in the heavens thing. I thought Emerson (if it was him) played an amazing set. Kept me going hard!

Unklespins.... you were your dancy self. Girl Friday.... you're always crazy... I love ya!

starr

TRIBE Member
blah, forget my earlier review
i had a good time
it just had nothing to do with lifeforce really
that's all i was trying to say

**PsYchOreLLe**

TRIBE Member
Overall I had a good time. Enjoyed Dj Dan's set. My only real problem was the crowding. And what's up with the people sitting in the middle of the dancefloor? Sit on the side!! Especially when you have four garbage bags filled with stuff beside you. I almost broke my neck at least 20 times. When a party is that packed it is not fair to be taking up so much space where people want to dance. Besides, it's hazardous to your health. I can't even count how many people I stepped on.

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
All I have to say about this PaRtY is crappy location for the amount of people. I think we got ripped off! We paid our ticket prices for the Automotive building & the PDO's! The promoters really cashed in on this! I would of rather it been at the Better Living Centre.

But... that's only my opinion.

klaarwater

TRIBE Member
Have to agree with Starr for the most part - I had fun at this party, but it was because of the crazy-fun peeps hanging out there... we had sound planned for the chill tent and some other things that got canned during setup.

/Paraphrased on (from neksis.com)

"Neksis wants to apologize to all those DJ's and members who were expecting a Neksis party in the chill tent at Connected. To the DJ's, thanks for being so cool about the rollercoaster of events that ultimately ended when the Docks informed Lifeforce, only two hours before Connected was to kick off, that they had made a legally binding promise to Toronto Island residents to not
have sound outside past 11 p.m."

/Paraphrase OFF

Despite the overcrowding, packed drinking room, long coatcheck lines, lack of connection, I had fun thanks to the peeps I was hanging with... too bad this wasn't at the automotive building. That totally would have rocked!

Shouts out to Dance Safe, Rave Star, Numb - good to meet you peeps!
Thanks to Lifeforce and cru for the party, too bad on the bad breaks all around... Thanks to everyone that helped with the chill tent! See everyone @ the next big show! /|\