• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Condo wind tunnels developing in Toronto

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have been noticing something really strange as I bike around past all these new condo's they are throwing up downtown. There are huge wind vortexes forming between the buildings...

Today I noticed it on Bay St around St. Joseph St, where the wind was actually blowing at nearly gale force, in the opposite direction compared to everywhere else. People were even having a hard time walking on the sidewalk! Also, massive wind vortexes are forming at Dundas & Carlaw where all those new condos are going up. It never used to be like that before...

Coleridge or anyone, do developers have to take changing the weather into account when they submit plans to the city? Do they do wind modeling or something?

This is really going to just suck the heat right out of those glass buildings, turning them into giant heat sinks. It is bad enough that the glass hardly provides any insulation from the cold, but adding gale force winds to that? Holy crap, I wouldn't want to be paying those heating bills!

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I predict complex wind modelling is coming because of the very issues you bring up.

However, unlike shading studies that big buildings have to go through now there's no clear answer. Shade is shade. If you shade a public space like a park or a school ground it's a defined problem. But what if you're wind tunnel problem could be fixed by simply building a second building in the future across the street. That's going to be an interesting grey area.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Today I noticed it on Bay St around St. Joseph St, where the wind was actually blowing at nearly gale force, in the opposite direction compared to everywhere else. People were even having a hard time walking on the sidewalk! !
I was there as well today and saw the wind swirling the leaves and street rubbish into a mini-tornado!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
Up at Bay and Bloor, the Holt Renfrew added that enormous glass awning in front of the store to divert the high winds caused by the CIBC building next door, and the Manulife Building across the street. The wind tunnel thing has been going on for decades.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Holy crap, I wouldn't want to be paying those heating bills!
In each condo I've lived in, I virtually never turn on heat in the winter. Lots of residual heat from neighbours keeps the place 18C-21C and we even sometimes have to leave a window open a bit.