• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Conan O'Brien apologizes to Quebec

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Not sure if this is up here already

----------------
Conan O'Brien apologizes to Quebec
Last Updated Wed, 18 Feb 2004 7:13:09
NEW YORK - Late-night talk show host Conan O'Brien offered an apology of sorts to people in Quebec Tuesday, days after a comedy sketch mocked the French-speaking province.

In his opening monologue, O'Brien appeared on stage with a French translator. English subtitles translated what the French translator said.

"People of Quebec, I'm sorry," he said in English. It was translated into French as: "People of Quebec, I'm an albino jackass."

"We meant no harm with our comedy piece the other night" was translated as: "The other night, I wet the bed like a little girl."

O'Brien: "I was a stranger in a strange land and I was very insensitive." Translator (in French): "I have a small penis.

"Quebec, your lively and rich culture is a treasure to Canada, and your unique heritage deserves only praise, not ridicule," said O'Brien.

Translator: (in French) "I have never known the touch of a woman and I never will."

O'Brien: "Again, please accept my heartfelt apologies." Translator (in French) : "Did I mention I have a small penis?"

FROM FEB. 13, 2003: CHUM apologizes for Conan's Quebec sketch

During a taping of one of his shows in Toronto last week, a puppet called Triumph the Insult Comic Dog insulted people in Quebec City, calling francophones "obnoxious and dull" and urging them to learn English.

Peter Soumalias, the Canadian organizer of O'Brien's Canadian tapings, said he urged the show to go ahead with the sketch, despite concern from some of the show's writers.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

junglisthead

TRIBE Member
the french should stop being such pansies...

the insult dog has taken out on all other races and cultures and yet quebec is the only one offended

wimps

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by junglisthead

the insult dog has taken out on all other races and cultures and yet quebec is the only one offended

to be honest, i hadn't even really gotten the impression that quebecers were so offended by the skit...
i thought it was more an issue of the views being put forth as ones that ontarians support.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

wayne kenoff

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
to be honest, i hadn't even really gotten the impression that quebecers were so offended by the skit...
i thought it was more an issue of the views being put forth as ones that ontarians support.

I agree completely.

Anglo Canadians, Ontario especially, seem to have this massive guilt complex vis-a-vis Quebec that starts with pleas for forgiveness and ends with large cash donations.