• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Computers Killed MIDI

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
take everything from the Prime Killed Techno thread and replace Prime with Fruity Loops and MIDI for Techno.

:p

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
where's all the trippy analogue blippy head fuck, synthesizer programming (not stabby filtered chords: chung chung che che chung chung) MIDI. Now its all, lets see how many layers of samples, patterns and house tracks we can lay into a track and call it MIDI, and the younger crowd eats it up and calls it MIDI, and it was all sold by Computers, or on their roster of Software, " Computer like circuit party record evil". And now trance has found its way into the genre, rolly polly chi chi chi chi chi chi chi hi hats... There's lots to blame, but I hold Computers mostly responsible for selling that shit. It literally makes me tearful to surf through dexrecords and satellite and listen to the MIDI. its been infected with complete and utter shit. Don't rag on my opinion because its only that but what do you guys about the state of techno music, not scene, clubs or dj's, but the MIDI music that is being produced today. Is it really MIDI? how do you define MIDI music?

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vveerrgg
where's all the trippy analogue blippy head fuck, synthesizer programming (not stabby filtered chords: chung chung che che chung chung) MIDI. Now its all, lets see how many layers of samples, patterns and house tracks we can lay into a track and call it MIDI, and the younger crowd eats it up and calls it MIDI, and it was all sold by Computers, or on their roster of Software, " Computer like circuit party record evil". And now trance has found its way into the genre, rolly polly chi chi chi chi chi chi chi hi hats... There's lots to blame, but I hold Computers mostly responsible for selling that shit. It literally makes me tearful to surf through dexrecords and satellite and listen to the MIDI. its been infected with complete and utter shit. Don't rag on my opinion because its only that but what do you guys about the state of techno music, not scene, clubs or dj's, but the MIDI music that is being produced today. Is it really MIDI? how do you define MIDI music?

Get off that pipe son!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

musork

TRIBE Member
shut up vergel... and get working on your tracks stop your bitching ....
or Ill place the wrath of naw on your pipe smokin asss ;)
(how are you by the way, long time no see)

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
good good good...... i'm actually getting things together as we speak. back to midi!

no more computer music for me.... hardware is where I'm getting back to.

Winick

TRIBE Member
vergil what r u sayin man? WHAT ARE YOU SAYIN MAN? HAVE YOU GONE MAD? WHO ARE YOU? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? SAY SOMETHING! ANYTHING! OPEN YOUR EYES! SPEAK TO ME! OH MY GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
the computer ate my midi! I hate computer. computer is not my friend.

my friend is a QY700

it makes rythems I like to play with....

I think i'm bi musical. my monogamous love for techno has been surplanted by alittle jungle by a man named goldie.

i will play a mixing of jungle and techno i an abstract way I like to call..... junkno. not speed garage. not techstep. not handbag house. not tekhouse. not........

WINICK! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THINGS GOOD. GET BACK IN THE STUDIO AND MAKE SWEET TECHNO LIKE YOU KNOW AND LOVE..... MAKE IT FOR THE GOOFS LIKE ME WHO MISS IT... I'LL SHOW YOU MINE IF YOU SHOW ME YOURS!

and then we'll laugh at the computer.

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
a computer has do-dads and keyboards and mice and monitors etc...

not a good example... but thats a computer.

I deal with none of that.....
QY700 without you I would have no friends to talk to my sampler.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
a computer has do-dads and keyboards and mice and monitors etc...

not a good example... but thats a computer.

I deal with none of that.....
QY700 without you I would have no friends to talk to my sampler.

I will still kill it on machine or hardware no matter what it comes down to masterey of skills and has fuck all to do with what you use to get there. The bottom line is if you suck you suck and if you lack musical talent and have nothing to say in your music then thats what will come out.

If you are a generic cheese ball no matter what thats what your music will be.

FACTS speak for themselves but the sheep will be lead by the blind.

Arthur Oskan

TRIBE Member
I'll start of by saying SYNC 24 is as tight as a blonde at prom.

Did MIDI kill techno? Maybe not.

1. ReCycle.

Most records today are nothing more than REX files of other records, with the slices re-arranged.
I'm getting more into the habit of rexing synths I've greated with my own gear.

2. Timing is everything. Technology.

Most of us on here who have been producing electronic music for the better part of 10 years, I'm sure can relate to this theory (or maybe not). I can only speak for myself, but when I heard raw techno live in my buddy, nearly pre-pubecent (sp?) years, i was instantly drawn to its source. Seeing analog live PA's by Speedy J, Autechre, SeeFeel, Plaid, Aphex and so many others, just gave me all the more purpose. This gave me the background to know what type of equipment i would need to get going with all these beats in my head (mind you i already had a TR-606 and Roland JX-3P from high school). Many of today's producers i would think have been subjected to the software base of production and PA.s, thus it being their primary tool. Its really all about what technlogy we're subjected to at the time. Making techno in 1994 was FAR different than producing it 10 years later. I'm sure we can all agree with that.

3. Releases. Fewer "good" records.

I have to agree with you Verg, there are too many loop driven techno that's pretty much soaked the market with not enough "producers" techno, for the lack of a better term. Still to this day, Jan's End speaks to me, as a producer. Tuning of those cow bells; brilliant. We all know that the Corolas and the Leibings of the world wouldn't touch it. But unfortunatly, DJ's buy records. Producers don't for the most part (I'm sure I'll get killed for that)...And that's why Prime was hard sold for taking on expertimental records (again, for the most part)

At any rate, just my two sence...

BTW.. new Oskan Tracks tonight on Direct Beat Radio.

The Player.........................

A

;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
1) Shamus. you're a nob sometimes.

If the interface for making music doesn't allow you to fully express yourself and adiquately explore the medium... you're being limited.

With the advent of Fruity Loops etc... it took the broad possible ways of making music and narrowed it down to loop based formats. Not new to techno.

But, it also took away the opporunity to be tactile with your music and explore in un-conventional ways. The result.

PRIME type music.......

I'm sure Shamus, you can rock on any hardware/software etc..... fine. You might be able to work in your head and not make repetitive & boring music. Congradulations.... here's a record contract. :p

2) Arther you said it right!

Mind you the question should be "Did the computer and programs like Fruity Loops kill techno?"

It's all about using the Technology that lets you express yourself to the limits of your understanding...... Computer or Midi.

But I still think that all the stuff Prime put out were like a million Fruity Loop sessions sampled from other ppls work.

I'm not too sad to see it ending.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
1) Shamus. you're a nob sometimes.

If the interface for making music doesn't allow you to fully express yourself and adiquately explore the medium... you're being limited.

With the advent of Fruity Loops etc... it took the broad possible ways of making music and narrowed it down to loop based formats. Not new to techno.

But, it also took away the opporunity to be tactile with your music and explore in un-conventional ways. The result.

PRIME type music.......

I'm sure Shamus, you can rock on any hardware/software etc..... fine. You might be able to work in your head and not make repetitive & boring music. Congradulations.... here's a record contract. :p

2) Arther you said it right!

Mind you the question should be "Did the computer and programs like Fruity Loops kill techno?"

It's all about using the Technology that lets you express yourself to the limits of your understanding...... Computer or Midi.

But I still think that all the stuff Prime put out were like a million Fruity Loop sessions sampled from other ppls work.

I'm not too sad to see it ending.
Dude I am a nob lots of times for sure. But I am seriously stating a fact that needs to be acknowledged. You are arguing on the basis that computers suck, yet by the same time you post a sequencer picture of what you use, that is, infact, a computer. Ok sure it's not a Dell or Sony but all that means is it is an interface issue. The issue of subtle expressions and stuff does not change with hardware or a computer if you have a good interface. Now with that being said and also to support where it is I think you are coming from, I do agree that these programs that you make a beat by hitting a preset is what creates generic music. The simple reason why is because it is to easy to go in and grab a cookie cutter approach to producing, to sound like the "said" artist of the day. Bringing this full circle it comes back to the same relative problems that are the down fall of any art form. Lack of Vision, Meaning, passion, fundamentals, commitment, appreciation, etc.

I won't single out any specific label(s) or artists because I have been through that argument a thousand times before but we know who they are and I do my best to try and separate the bullshit from the truth even though it may not be popular.

But verg we are on the same page I think you know that. That page is to produce the best music that has meaning to us in a way that we think will move ppl.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Wolf Blass is not good wine I am sorry to tell you that. That swill is pure blahhhhh.

You would do a fair amount better witha Beringer or better yet a Cheateau La Clos De La Tour.

datafreq

TRIBE Member
well i'm going to get into a debate about wine on the tribe list,
that's for sure...

taste in wine is subjective, and wolf blass has won many awards,
as has Beringer, but you show your ignorance by using words like swill
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Humanjava
Wolf Blass is not good wine I am sorry to tell you that. That swill is pure blahhhhh.

You would do a fair amount better witha Beringer or better yet a Cheateau La Clos De La Tour.