• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

computer wizards help me

sauce

TRIBE Member
I downloaded a couple torrents and some codecs last night and the codecs didn't work so i deleted them and the torrent files. All the sudden i have no MP3's or any of the pictures i've taken with my digi cam. Any idea on good recovery programs or anything i can do when i get home from work to ensure this doesn't happen again?

Any help would be great.

thanks

sauce

Stan

TRIBE Member
The codecs you downloaded may actually have been trojans or viruses and deleted all your shit.

Lucky you!

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

sauce

TRIBE Member
If they were viruses or trojans do they just delete my stuff and leave or are they there for good untill i do something about them. What do i do to get rid of them.

peace

sauce----Not the most computer savy individual

swenard

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sauce
If they were viruses or trojans do they just delete my stuff and leave or are they there for good untill i do something about them. What do i do to get rid of them.

peace

sauce----Not the most computer savy individual

That's too bad, Burns.

If you want some of the pics back, I have one of me trying to kiss your ear. Actually, I have two.

Shawn<---smooch. smooch.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I downloaded a couple torrents and some codecs last night and the codecs didn't work so i deleted them and the torrent files. All the sudden i have no MP3's or any of the pictures i've taken with my digi cam. Any idea on good recovery programs or anything i can do when i get home from work to ensure this doesn't happen again?

Any help would be great.

thanks

sauce
how important is it to get the files back that are lost?

What OS are you running?

sauce

TRIBE Member
It's the pictures that i'm most worried about. It's all the pictures i've taken since i got my cpu. I just uploaded them to my cpu a couple weeks ago and deleted them from my camera. The mp3's oh well what can you do, i'll start over.

I'm running Windows XP.

peace

sauce

swenard - when the hell was that from? I don't remember a thing. Were you slipping me roofies again?

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Are you sure that they hav been deleted? Have you looked in the recycle bin? Have you looked in the directory on the hard drive where they were originally stored?

I know hese sound like silly question but they actually help me out...

Stan

TRIBE Member
The first step is to scan your computer for a virus or trojan. Once you've identified whether or not your computer is infected, and if so, what your computer is infected with, you can start taking steps to figure out whether or not your data can be recovered.

Some viruses or trojans don't actually delete the data, but instead just rename the files and / or move them to a hidden folder. Others can delete your shit, or totally corrupt the files to make them unusable, in which case you're shit outta luck. In any case, it's important to scan and disinfect your computer as soon as possible to ensure that it doesn't happen again and to limit the amount of damage.

sauce

TRIBE Member
Yeah i've checked recycle bin and the directory. Those were the first palces that i looked. Hopefully when i get home between me and AVE we can figure it out.

But so i know will this thing just stay in my cpu and creep around doing this over and over? Or does it like to party then take off?

peace

sauce

sauce

TRIBE Member
i'm gonna give it a scan tonight when i get home. I didn't even know this happened untill like 1:00 in the morning last night.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Yeah i've checked recycle bin and the directory. Those were the first palces that i looked. Hopefully when i get home between me and AVE we can figure it out.

But so i know will this thing just stay in my cpu and creep around doing this over and over? Or does it like to party then take off?

peace

sauce

I know they sound silly but you have to ask the stupid questions first. If the fils are very important to you there are several disk recovery and deleted file recovery utilities out there...

I've used http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm before on xp an it worked quite well.

Do you happn to have a cd burner? I woul suggest buring the files once when you recover them. Now with regards to what happened an what caused it...

mind control

TRIBE Member
Sounds like a virus to me but do a search on your hard drive for .mp3's and .jpg's ......

First - Online Virus Scan

Second - Click Start - Search - Type *.mp3 - Search C: drive
(this will show you *all* the .mp3s on your hard drive so you can see if they are just in a different directory or what .....

Repeat same process for your pictures just search *.jpg .....

sauce

TRIBE Member
To the above post i did 2 virus scans last night and niether showed any viruses. I did search for mp3 and jpg and nothing. Computer only shows that i have 5 gigs used so i pretty much know that there gone. Oh well i'm gonna have to back up my files a little more frequently from now on.

Thanks for all the help

peace

sauce