• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Computer upgrade

swenard

TRIBE Member
I just got a new computer 3 weeks ago.

p4 1.7g
512mb RAM
40 gig HD
nvidia GEforce 64mb video card
Onboard sound
24x10x40 cd burner
16x dvd
15" LCD monitor
Epson c80 printer
Epson 1250PHOTO Scanner

I want to upgrade a few things, and I would like some suggestions.

What I have in mind is another 512mb RAM, SB platinum Audigy sound card,and thebiggest HD I can get, I was also thinking of upgrading my speakers(strereo w/sub)do the dolby 5 channel speakers sound good like a house surround system does.

Is there any other neato upgrades to do to the computer for speed or features?what upgrades do you recommend for my computer, and what is the best hard drive I should get for it(size and speed).
 

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Switch to AMD, P4's are ass.

Get a motherboard with a built in promise controller or get a promise controller card for your board so your drives will be able to run in ATA-100 mode.

Get a new soundcard.. onboards are horrible and usually have shitty signal to noise ratios.

Frivilous upgrades can include:
DVD cards are good if you wanna pipe a dvd out to your TV.

A bigass monitor.

other than that your system is pretty smokin..
 

Fir3start3r

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by swenard
I just got a new computer 3 weeks ago.

p4 1.7g
512mb RAM
40 gig HD
nvidia GEforce 64mb video card
Onboard sound
24x10x40 cd burner
16x dvd
15" LCD monitor
Epson c80 printer
Epson 1250PHOTO Scanner

I want to upgrade a few things, and I would like some suggestions.

What I have in mind is another 512mb RAM, SB platinum Audigy sound card,and thebiggest HD I can get, I was also thinking of upgrading my speakers(strereo w/sub)do the dolby 5 channel speakers sound good like a house surround system does.

Is there any other neato upgrades to do to the computer for speed or features?what upgrades do you recommend for my computer, and what is the best hard drive I should get for it(size and speed).
Yes, dump the onboard sound...
You really don't need the "Platinum" Audigy. There is not difference between the Platinum and the others except the multimedia extras; it's the exact same card.

More RAM never hurts...

There is a speaker set that I saw that was THX certified!! The sound was completely amazing...I don't remember the package though (that was around Christmas time).

Just a thought on the HDD.
Depending on the cost of the drive that you're looking at, you might want to consider getting two more 40Gig HDDs like the one you already have and get an IDE RAID card. THAT would definately speed things up for ya. ;)
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

swenard

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Computer upgrade

Originally posted by Fir3start3r


Yes, dump the onboard sound...
You really don't need the "Platinum" Audigy. There is not difference between the Platinum and the others except the multimedia extras; it's the exact same card.

More RAM never hurts...

There is a speaker set that I saw that was THX certified!! The sound was completely amazing...I don't remember the package though (that was around Christmas time).

Just a thought on the HDD.
Depending on the cost of the drive that you're looking at, you might want to consider getting two more 40Gig HDDs like the one you already have and get an IDE RAID card. THAT would definately speed things up for ya. ;)
The platinum comes with a front panel for hooking up a/v and optical inputs/outputs+ a remote control

I think the THX certified speakers were Yamaha I saw some at Futureshop!!!!!!!!!

But, what is this Ide raid. I don't really know what that is.

I bought the large case for my computer and the genuine INtel motherboard so I have lots of room to upgrade!

Shawn

Bling! Bling!
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Computer upgrade

Originally posted by swenard

But, what is this Ide raid. I don't really know what that is.
IDE Raid is a cheaper version of the SCSI Raid implementation.

IDE Raid basically takes 2-4 IDE HDDs and makes them into one drive for performance and/or data security.

You basically have 2 drives working as one, so in theory it's 2 times faster...

I'm using it, it's faster, but not that noticable to the average user IMO. I notice it with large moves, writes, etc... but for the average user you really won't notice a huge difference.

pr0nstar
 

Fir3start3r

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Computer upgrade

Originally posted by swenard


The platinum comes with a front panel for hooking up a/v and optical inputs/outputs+ a remote control

Exactly....

I think the THX certified speakers were Yamaha I saw some at Futureshop!!!!!!!!!
cool...wonder if they have a demo....hmm....

But, what is this Ide raid. I don't really know what that is.
RAID is an acronym for Redundant Array of Inexpensive (or Independent) Disks. A RAID array is a collection of drives which collectively act as a single storage system, which can tolerate the failure of a drive without losing data, and which can operate independently of each other.
Basically by accessing 3 drives at the same time your access time goes down by a 3rd because you're accessing your drives in parallel; hence the speed boost :)
The RAID can be configured so that if one of your drives dies (for whatever reason) you can replace the dead one and rebuild the lost data with the remaining 2 drives.
There's lots of +++es :D
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Computer upgrade

Originally posted by Fir3start3r

Basically by accessing 3 drives at the same time your access time goes down by a 3rd because you're accessing your drives in parallel; hence the speed boost :)
The RAID can be configured so that if one of your drives dies (for whatever reason) you can replace the dead one and rebuild the lost data with the remaining 2 drives.
There's lots of +++es :D
[/QUOTE]

Not true totally with IDE.
SCSI Raid 5 yes...

With IDE you have only RAID 0/1+ which means you have 2 Drives working together, but you only get the space of the one drive.. and if the other dies you dont' loose data.

With Raid5 you can have 3+ Drives as one Drive and you can hot swap them out as needed. But this is not possible with IDE RAID yet.

pr0nstar
 

swenard

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
Buy this, I just did @ work :D

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_vp201mb.cfm



And get the SoundCard that has been Suggested... or the Hercules Game Theatre XP.

pr0nstar
Don't need anything like that!Its way overkill for me. Although I am trying to learn how to use photoshp 6(never used it before)

But I did get this monitor



ha ha

I got this one


Well, close to that one. I got the new model with the pivot software and a little sleeker look. the 151s!
 

swenard

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Computer upgrade

Originally posted by pr0nstar
Not true totally with IDE.
SCSI Raid 5 yes...

With IDE you have only RAID 0/1+ which means you have 2 Drives working together, but you only get the space of the one drive.. and if the other dies you dont' loose data.

With Raid5 you can have 3+ Drives as one Drive and you can hot swap them out as needed. But this is not possible with IDE RAID yet.

pr0nstar [/B][/QUOTE]


So if I use the IDE with 3 40g drives I only get 40 g total?

Because if that's the case I don't need any more speed out of my hard drives!

I mostly only use it for software, music,movies and games
 

deep

TRIBE Member
I really don't see what you need a gig of ram for , and I'm as technofetishstic as you'll find...

I don't like SB cards and am quite happy with my Hercules Game Theater XP

I reccomended Seagate's Barracuda IV drives - good performance and the quietest drive I've bought

As for Speakers my Klipsch Pro Media's are one of the best things I've ever bought...would highly reccomend their 5.1 system if you're looking for something that sounds as good if not better than most home theater systems
 

swenard

TRIBE Member
The only reason I'm looking at a gig of ram is because when I do scan disk it use up almost all of my memory and takes too long!

Plus it sounds cool! considering my last computer had 32mb ram!

The only reason I'm looking at th sb cards is because I do most of my shopping at futureshop and thats pretty much all they carry

So definetly keep recommending.

Are the seagate drives inexpensive I've never heard of them. again, futureshop doesn't carry them.

I like Klipsch speakers they sound nice!
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deep

TRIBE Member
I'm not sure what operating system you're running, but for win2k the chkdsk function is more processor intensive than memory intensive. And really, even with 512 mb of RAM, plus whatever your swapfile is set to, you rarely ever go over 384 megs or so of usage. And I mean running a lot of shit at the same time. But it's your money to burn.

There are better places to buy from than Future Shop, in terms of cost and components available. If you're going to buy speakers, definately go for the Klipschs - there is no comparison IMHO and I never cease to be amazed at mine (which are the first generation quad speakers, not even the 5.1). Future Shop doesn't carry the Seagate Barracuda series but they should be readily available at most computer stores. They're not "inexpensive" per se as they're 7200 RPM drives and high performance. But worth it IMHO.
 

swenard

TRIBE Member
I prefer to give my business to small local stores. but its hard to get away from futureshops 30 day guarantee. I take it home I use it for 3 weeks I don't like it I take it back.

Is there any other chains of computer stores that you reccomend?
or small local stores in mississauga area?

P.S. I run windows XP. But I use Norton for scan disk and disk defragmenter and norton uses (last night anyway) 500mb ram

Actually now that I think of it I did have alot running with it!
 

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
definately go for the Klipschs - there is no comparison IMHO and I never cease to be amazed at mine
Dude where can you find these.. and how much..
I've been passively looking for these for a while..

Maximum PC speaks of them as if they were forged by Heyzeus.
 

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS


Dude where can you find these.. and how much..
I've been passively looking for these for a while..

Maximum PC speaks of them as if they were forged by Heyzeus.
Sweet Bejesus!

PC Speakers at 500Watts!



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The THX®-Certified ProMedia™ 5.1 personal audio system maximizes audio signals from new 5.1 computer soundcards. The new ProMedia 5.1 is more powerful than any other personal computer audio system in the world, providing the most satisfying ultradynamic surround sound experience available for multimedia applications.

The two-way ProMedia 5.1 satellite speakers include exclusive Klipsch MicroTractrix™ Horn tweeters that cleanly and accurately handle the high frequencies. A three-inch fiber-composite cone driver delivers smooth mid-bass reproduction.

The magnetically shielded center channel uses the same Klipsch MicroTractrix Horn tweeter and three-inch fiber-composite cone woofer as each satellite speaker, ensuring an ideal blend and seamless driver transition. The center channel comes with rubber non-slip stabilizing feet, new spring-clip wire terminals, and a rear-post adjustment for angle optimization.

The high-output, low distortion subwoofer is a bass-reflex type with a flared, tuned front port and two 8-inch side-firing woofers. The 500-watt BASH® amplifier and Klipsch engineering offer high output with low distortion and effortless dynamic headroom. BASH® (Bridged Amplifier/Switching Hybrid) amplifiers are powerful, conventional amplifiers with digital switching-type power supplies, which are efficient, high-output, low distortion designs that deliver superior sound quality over conventional Class-D amps.

The user-friendly control tower features separate main, center, rear and subwoofer volume controls as well as a digital LED volume level display and an on/off or headphone listening mode switch. It also has two stereo miniplug jacks, one for headphone output and one for the convenient connection of portable audio devices and any other alternative source that uses a stereo miniplug output.


Dealer KROMER RADIO (HT)
Address 420 BATHHURST STREET
TORONTO ON M5T 2S6 CANADA
Phone 416-920-6700
Distance Approx. 1 Miles

------------------------------------------------------------------


Nickers - I NEED SOME!
 

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS


Dude where can you find these.. and how much..
I've been passively looking for these for a while..

Maximum PC speaks of them as if they were forged by Heyzeus.
I ordered them from Klipsch directly. They are truly speakers designed for maximizing the experience of electronic music. Trust me on that one. My first gen pro media's wowed the fuck out of my uncle, who has a $30,000 home theater. Bass that feels like a shotgun blast to the chest, detail and atmosphere with everything else. Well worth the money spent - you all know what a geek I am and these are without a doubt one of the best purchases I've ever made, in terms of money spent for satisfaction derived. There are Canadian distributors but I'm not sure of any place that has them in stock in Canada - if you check the Klipsch message board the Canadian distributor is often posted in the forums. I lovingly call them Phazon Juniors. :)

As for computer stores Swenard - I've had good experience with Software Online. PC Canada for everything but hard drives. Otis likes Canada Computer, Postmod likes Sonnam. I found this site with a list of links to good Canadian retailers . I'm not sure why norton's utils cripple your system, in win2k there is a task manager that you can bring up that displays ram and cpu usage and they never seem to take a huge hit out of my system. I'd reccomend getting an optical mouse if you haven't gotten one already. I love the MS Intellimouse Explorer series - fits perfectly to my hand, and the latest edition (v3.0) is the most comfortable and precise mouse I've used. Logitech just released a dual laser optical mouse that claims to be even more accurate than the latest generation of optical mice, but I've never used them. Coupled with a Ratpad it's incredible smooth and accurate - pertinent considerations if you're a gamer, but I'm not sure if you are.

Also, avoiding buying some unnecessary ram now would give you more money to pick up one of ATI or Nvidia's new video cards coming out soon.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Fir3start3r

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by swenard
I prefer to give my business to small local stores. but its hard to get away from futureshops 30 day guarantee. I take it home I use it for 3 weeks I don't like it I take it back.

Is there any other chains of computer stores that you reccomend?
or small local stores in mississauga area?

P.S. I run windows XP. But I use Norton for scan disk and disk defragmenter and norton uses (last night anyway) 500mb ram

Actually now that I think of it I did have alot running with it!
You'll always be covered by the manufacturer's guarentee anyways...Futureshop is just more convenient that's all.
 

swenard

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep


I ordered them from Klipsch directly. They are truly speakers designed for maximizing the experience of electronic music. Trust me on that one. My first gen pro media's wowed the fuck out of my uncle, who has a $30,000 home theater. Bass that feels like a shotgun blast to the chest, detail and atmosphere with everything else. Well worth the money spent - you all know what a geek I am and these are without a doubt one of the best purchases I've ever made, in terms of money spent for satisfaction derived. There are Canadian distributors but I'm not sure of any place that has them in stock in Canada - if you check the Klipsch message board the Canadian distributor is often posted in the forums. I lovingly call them Phazon Juniors. :)

As for computer stores Swenard - I've had good experience with Software Online. PC Canada for everything but hard drives. Otis likes Canada Computer, Postmod likes Sonnam. I found this site with a list of links to good Canadian retailers . I'm not sure why norton's utils cripple your system, in win2k there is a task manager that you can bring up that displays ram and cpu usage and they never seem to take a huge hit out of my system. I'd reccomend getting an optical mouse if you haven't gotten one already. I love the MS Intellimouse Explorer series - fits perfectly to my hand, and the latest edition (v3.0) is the most comfortable and precise mouse I've used. Logitech just released a dual laser optical mouse that claims to be even more accurate than the latest generation of optical mice, but I've never used them. Coupled with a Ratpad it's incredible smooth and accurate - pertinent considerations if you're a gamer, but I'm not sure if you are.

Also, avoiding buying some unnecessary ram now would give you more money to pick up one of ATI or Nvidia's new video cards coming out soon.

I have the logitech optical cordless mouse, I liked it a little better than the ms one for accuracy, but the ms one was a bit more confy.(whats a rat pad!)I definetly love gaming! I've been trying to find allied assault on the web. but everyone I get is missing files and doesn't work.

If I get those klipsh ones my neighbor will really hate me!
I'm surprised how good the onboard sound card souns on my computer compared tom my last sound card on my old computer.
So I'm sure I will be blown away if I try an aftermarket one!!!!!
 

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by swenard



I have the logitech optical cordless mouse, I liked it a little better than the ms one for accuracy, but the ms one was a bit more confy.(whats a rat pad!)I definetly love gaming! I've been trying to find allied assault on the web. but everyone I get is missing files and doesn't work.


the Ratpad is a mousepad designed for gaming. The surface is equally good for ball based mice and optical mice. I've used a lot of different mousepads intended for gaming (the func surface1030, 3M's mousepads, etc.) and this one is my favourite. You can order it from Bigfoot Computers in Canada or read about it at HardOCP.com

If I get those klipsh ones my neighbor will really hate me!
Induck. I forget about the virtues of living in Waterloo where houses aren't right next to each other or all you can get are apartments.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top