1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Computer Speakers Recommendation?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by pr0nstar, Aug 28, 2003.

1. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

I'm looking at buying a 5.1 System for my Computer.

What's my best option?

I'm so far looking at the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 or the Logitech Z-680...

Anything else out there?

pr0nstar

2. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Out of the ones your mentioned, I would recommend the Kliposch. Not sure of what else is out there though without doing some research first (which I'd rather leave for you to do, LOL ;)).

Cheers ... Ian :)

3. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Well I'm actually looking for anyone who might have purchased either of them to give me a hands on review ;)

4. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

what are you using for a sound card?

i'm currently running my audio through a yamaha receiver and speakers ... haven't set up the full 5.1 but could if I choose to. That would be my recommendation.

5. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

I'm not sure for SoundCard yet.

Right now I'm using my OnBoard sound from the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard which is nVidia's dolby sound system.

And I have a Hercules Game Theater XP I could use too... which has all the outputs, digital, coax, etc...

6. lok

lok TRIBE Member

Altec Lansing 5100 w/ Woofer.

hot. and really well priced for the quality

www.infonec.com

shop away :)

7. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

i'd definitely go with option two. you're only going to get stereo out of the mobo chip, and it won't be true 5.1 even if you do use 6 speakers and 'theatre mode'.

8. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

I got Logictech. :)

not so bad, although the speakers make a weird crackling noise once in awhile.

It's supposedly some bug in my soundcard or whatever.

But other than that, great sound

9. deep

deep TRIBE Member

actually the onboard audio with the nforce2 chipsets is regarded quite highly in terms of quality, and its dolby digital (5.1) is very good. many people actually ditch an add-in card altogether with the nforce2 boards.

10. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

that's great and all, but it's still just stereo.

unless there are actually 6 outputs ... or digital audio output. then i may stand corrected.

11. deep

deep TRIBE Member

there are 6 outputs, as well as digital output. iirc its the digital output that people have been surprised at how good it is for an onboard solution.

12. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Why is it just Stereo?

13. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

So deep...

Klipsch or Logitech? :D

14. deep

deep TRIBE Member

15. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I have listened to the Klipsch and thought they were quite good for computer speakers. I don't own them though. I just have a 2 Boston Acoustics computer speakers (with a subwoofer). I don't play games, and VERY rarely watch DVDs on the computer. If I really want to watch a movie, I use my home theatre, as that is what I built it for.

Cheers ... Ian :)

16. deep

deep TRIBE Member

17. deep

deep TRIBE Member

I have Klipsch. Many people like logitech for the same reasons.

18. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

19. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

a'ight. fair enough.
    i'll take a look at those specs.
    i thought it just had two outputs.

but i still would recommend a stand alone receiver/amp with proper speakers.

20. ChROmE

ChROmE TRIBE Member

Anyoen have any recent and current recommendations on computer speakers? Threads from back in the day and was hoping to get soem more feedback from recent purchases.

I currently have the new PC hooked up to my JVC mini system that is about 6 years old. WOuld love to update and get surround sound coming out of the box.

Altec Lansing? Logitech?

Word.

I.

21. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Ivan

What's your price range?

22. ChROmE

ChROmE TRIBE Member

$150-$250

23. Vise

Vise TRIBE Member

Depends on what you're going to use them for (ie. gaming, movies, music). I got the Klipsch Promedia THX 2.1's in December (used almost exclusively for music plus some video) and I think they kick ass... outstanding sound quality, loud, and tons of bass (from a tiny sub). Highly recommended... and they're only $200 from Tigerdirect.

24. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

I have the Logitech 5.1 speakers, jsut make sure you have a good soundcard and not what the computer came with (2.1). I only have three working speakers plus the woofer. :(

Have you thought about going the THX 5.1 route? They are coming down in price.

25. ChROmE

ChROmE TRIBE Member

The speakers are for mostly TV/Movie watching.