1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Computer help! - Registry

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Kid Lax, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Kid Lax

Kid Lax TRIBE Promoter

Alright here's the quick scenario

I was messing around with some things in the registry to try and get my PC to run faster and I ended up fucking something up.

Basically I keep getting this error saying that windows can't save to <insert folder name>.

So I try to change the registry back to what it was, and I can, but it won't save since I can't write to my hard drive, so when i restart it just goes back to how it is when its fucked up.

I was fucking around with the memory management in the registry.

So what Ive done is put the harddrive in my sister's PC and booted up on her harddrive, and mine is the D: on this PC.

My question is, is it possible to change the registry on the d: while logged into my sisters?
    If so, how.

2. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

And this is why n00bs shouldn't fuck with registries :D

3. Chubbs

Chubbs TRIBE Member

Just like n00bs shouldnt fuck with partitions.

Jesus christ. I can get Debian up and running, but toss some partions on a harddrive and Windows XP trombowns me :(

4. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

No your problem was you installed XP over 2K PRo :)

5. Chubbs

Chubbs TRIBE Member

I figured it was worth a shot.. I mean its essentially NT, which I trust over 9x anyways... Plus I got to keep my NTFS....

but alas, XP fucked me in the ass.

Im still running it now tho.. which is even stupider :p

6. Kid Lax

Kid Lax TRIBE Promoter

well since im such a n00b :rolleyes: can you tell me if there's a way i can do this?

7. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

XP's NTFS =/= Win2k's NTFS

8. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

Oh and Kid Lax, if you didn't make a backup of your registry before fucking around with it, then you're pretty much screwed. On the positive side, you can still access the data on your hard drive, so back that shit up and format / reinstall.

9. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

Oh wait.

XP has a System Restore thingy, doesn't it? I don't remember, cos I disabled the one on my machine to save space.

10. Chubbs

Chubbs TRIBE Member

Okay guys... I fucking give up.

I'm deleting the partition now :(

Oh well.. luckily I still mangaged to recover like a quarter of it all :D

11. Kid Lax

Kid Lax TRIBE Promoter

a back up wouldn't do anything in this case

my problem is that the change in the registry i made won't let me write to the harddrive...even if i backed it up, it still wouldn't write the backup to the harddrive

so what im essentially trying to do is putting my harddrive in my sisters pc, booting up on her drive and then trying to change it that way...problem is i don't know if that's possible

12. Chubbs

Chubbs TRIBE Member

Cant you backup to the sisters hard drive, then format and copy back over?

13. Kid Lax

Kid Lax TRIBE Promoter

sadly that's what im in the process of doing
    its just a bitch having to reinstall everything :mad:

14. Chubbs

Chubbs TRIBE Member

Hey at least you can back your stuff up.

My thread is a horror story.

I lsot everything that wasnt on my Ipod :(

15. Shug

Shug TRIBE Member

If you have WinME or WinXP:

Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore.

Choose a date before you started fucking around. Restart your computer and pray.