• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Computer eyeglasses for protection from high-energy blue light

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Do any of you wear those special eyeglasses to block high-energy blue light, UV and glare?

I know the blue light frequencies emitted by phones, tvs, and computer monitors is hazardous to your eyes over time. I spend a lot of time in front of monitors and my eyes are already suffering form the UV exposure of my days as a kid outdoors. I am wondering whether eye protection, at this late a stage of adoption, is worth it.

I also wonder whether regular eyeglasses or reading glasses with uv coatings would be the same as the fancy purpose-made computer glasses, which seem to come in two colors - clear and amber....

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Thought about getting some of the gunnar branded ones. I don't wear glasses except to drive, but I am at a screen for 8-16 hours a day...it is definitely a concern.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
also screens at work are adaptive in brightness, and our office has a ridiculous amount of ambient light, soooooo win win all around.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
We're not quite that fancy. My monitor is a handmedown from someone else. That said, 30" monitors aren't cheap...so I get it. I'm likely to ask my optometrist the next time I head for a checkup.