• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

computer automatically restarts itself

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
what does it mean when your computer just automatically restarts? It doesn't happen often... but I'll just be surfing and suddenly it just restarts. I have a new hard drive too, with lots of free space. :confused:

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Redout

TRIBE Member
virus? memory leakage? old drivers?

lots of things can be the source of the reboot.

you should tell us all your computer specs and run a virus scan - AVG and ad-aware are free softwares you can download and check.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
check your event viewer right after it happens to see if it's being caused by a software failure (right-click my Computer - Manage - event viewer)
check each category for any items listed with a red stop sign.

could also be a bad power supply, power surge (are you using a surge protector?) or a bad motherboard

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
mine has done this twice in the past 24 hours.
so have friend's comps at the exact same time. I always thought MS threw out updates at the same time that would load and reboot.

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
Redout said:
virus? memory leakage? old drivers?

lots of things can be the source of the reboot.

you should tell us all your computer specs and run a virus scan - AVG and ad-aware are free softwares you can download and check.

I'm running norton and ad-aware. neither have detected anything.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
stir-fry said:
check your event viewer right after it happens to see if it's being caused by a software failure (right-click my Computer - Manage - event viewer)
check each category for any items listed with a red stop sign.

could also be a bad power supply, power surge (are you using a surge protector?) or a bad motherboard

cool thanks. I'll try this next time it happens.

randyval

TRIBE Member
dust and dirt might be causing it or it could be a driver issue, have you recently updated any drivers/ hardware?
psu might be dying, what are your system specs and what is the max output of your psu?
do you have all the updated mobo chipset drivers/ ethernet/ video drivers installed?
check all plugs and connections , make sure they are all secure
what does it say in your event viewer?

Last edited:

philly

TRIBE Member
MS just released a whole bunch of updates/patches. if your PC is set to install updates automatically, it will reboot your pc if it has too. but it usually tells you it did those updates and had to reboot. so i guess i'm no help here...

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
randyval said:
dust and dirt might be causing it or it could be a driver issue, have you recently updated any drivers/ hardware?
psu might be dying, what are your system specs and what is the max output of your psu?
do you have all the updated mobo chipset drivers/ ethernet/ video drivers installed?
check all plugs and connections , make sure they are all secure
what does it say in your event viewer?

hmmm... psu, mobo chipset driver... sorry, I have no clue what u r saying! LOL I'm IT-impaired :eek:

randyval

TRIBE Member
MrMarcus said:
hmmm... psu, mobo chipset driver... sorry, I have no clue what u r saying! LOL I'm IT-impaired :eek:
psu= power supply, check it for dust and dirt.
do you know your system specs?
what motherboard / video card/ ethernet card is in your machine?
it sounds like a power supply or driver issue, does the compuetr crash randomly or does it only happen when you run certian apps?
mmm.jpg

now if your problem is power supply related you might not get error messages, in which case you might have to either clean out your power supply or replace it.
but im just guessing as i dont know exactly what you are using for hardware and software.

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
i once thought that was happening with one of a my work computers but it turned out that my chair kept hitting the reset botton.

Anakin

TRIBE Member
philly said:
MS just released a whole bunch of updates/patches. if your PC is set to install updates automatically, it will reboot your pc if it has too. but it usually tells you it did those updates and had to reboot. so i guess i'm no help here...

Depending on your Update settings, your system may reboot without telling you.

You could also be having minor power outages.

Doran

TRIBE Member
Could be a bluescreen error, and your system is configured to restart instead of showing/leaving the blue screen on the monitor.

If you right click on "My Computer" and choose Properties, navigate to the Advanced tab - and select the Settings button (green) it'll open up the window on the right. Check to make sure the highlighted checkbox is empty - otherwise when your computer crashes, it just reboots instead of showing an error message which can help narrow down what is causing the problem.

reboot.jpg

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
k, it just did it again and the event viewer (in application) says:

error... source:EventSystem, Category:(50) Event:4609 User:N/A ...

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
Doran said:
Could be a bluescreen error, and your system is configured to restart instead of showing/leaving the blue screen on the monitor.

If you right click on "My Computer" and choose Properties, navigate to the Advanced tab - and select the Settings button (green) it'll open up the window on the right. Check to make sure the highlighted checkbox is empty - otherwise when your computer crashes, it just reboots instead of showing an error message which can help narrow down what is causing the problem.

done... thanks. I did have to uncheck that box.