• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

compliments

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
i hate it when anyone says something nice about me, i always assume that they're full of shit since usually when i say something nice it's a lie.

from now on i don't want anyone saying nice things about me.

thank you.

Hamza

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Syntax Error
i hate it when anyone says something nice about me, i always assume that they're full of shit since usually when i say something nice it's a lie.

from now on i don't want anyone saying nice things about me.

thank you.

Your fucking useless

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
seriously.

Learn how to take a compliment gracefully. (A "Thank you" is most effective.) Rejecting a compliment borderlines on throwing an insult to the person who gives it, when they only meant you well.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
when someone extends themself to offer a compliment I give them the benefit of the doubt that they're being sincere.

Poot

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
seriously.

Learn how to take a compliment gracefully. (A "Thank you" is most effective.) Rejecting a compliment borderlines on throwing an insult to the person who gives it, when they only meant you well.
Seriously.

It seems like an auto-pilot response, but so many people hear a compliment, then immediately feel the need to mitigate it.

Eg:

"Wow - awesome shirt. You look great!"

"What? Oh, this thing? Nah, whatever. I've had it forever. AND I got it on sale. It's nothing, really...."

Like, WTF?

a) You make yourself out to be someone who doesn't think they present well in the eyes of others;

b) You appear as a person who questions their own tastes & decisions; and

c) You are basically insulting the person who gave you the compliment - essentially telling them they are wrong, or way off.

ALL YOU NEED TO SAY IS, "Thank you."

(edit: I am completely guilty of all of the above. Why can't we learn to just accept it with comfort, and say 'thank you'?)