• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Community radio stations (AM or FM) in Toronto

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I do a show with voytek every Monday night on 105.5Fm.

They like volunteers for anyone who's interested in learning about radio & it's inner workings. Just sign up in their lobby.

diablo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
I do a show with voytek every Monday night on 105.5Fm.

They like volunteers for anyone who's interested in learning about radio & it's inner workings. Just sign up in their lobby.

Where is this?

Is it a school station or what?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

diablo

TRIBE Member
So you can just go there and apply to get a show? Do you have to be a student at York? Do they have turntables there, or is it strictly ghetto CD players?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by diablo
So you can just go there and apply to get a show? Do you have to be a student at York? Do they have turntables there, or is it strictly ghetto CD players?

You have to volunteer forever, then make a proposal for a unique show, then hope that it gets accepted then you're in. 1200's & a mixer as well as all the other stuff.. cd's minidisk, reel-to-reel.

It's a campus community radio station, so anyone can apply to volunteer.

diablo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
You have to volunteer forever, then make a proposal for a unique show, then hope that it gets accepted then you're in. 1200's & a mixer as well as all the other stuff.. cd's minidisk, reel-to-reel.

It's a campus community radio station, so anyone can apply to volunteer.

Psshh...fuck that.

I want to do a show, not clean their studio and sort their mail. :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway. Maybe I'll still try to apply.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by diablo
Psshh...fuck that.

I want to do a show, not clean their studio and sort their mail. :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway. Maybe I'll still try to apply.

Yeah well that's the process. The upside is just as long as you stay within your format, you have that slot for life.. they don't impede on your show or force you to do things.. just as long as you stick within the radio station mandate, you're sailing. Most campus community stations are bound to have non-commercial operating mandates, so because there's no pressure to make money, there is a ton of freedom to do what you want. Compare that to having a slot at a commercial station, where if you don't perform money wise, you're out on the street along with the last Mariah CD. The downside is, the volunteer process -but this ensures everyone in the community has equal status when applying, and it's not as bad as you may think.

This reminds me of something funny. One day while in the station office, these two guys walked in from (what was back then) Energy 108, and basically in a few more words, expected to be handed a radio slot just becuase they worked at a commercial station despite being directed to the volunteer signup sheet on in the lobby.