• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Common wakes up?

bboyrds

TRIBE Member
At Kanye West's press listening session, fellow Chicagoan, Common spit a rhyme as vicious as his Ice Cube-dissing days. The prolific MC, who recently ended his relationship with Erykah Badu, admitted to being on another mindset while recording Electric Circus and appeared to be back to the "realness" expected of him dishing out more than one cuss word alongside West. Expect more of Common ala back in the day when he releases his sixth album with West handling a lot of the production credit.

:: salathe ::

TRIBE Member
nice. except for the intro with the kids singing in african, his water4chocolate disc was disappointing in a swollen members/late qtip stylee.

organik

TRIBE Member
^^^What are you talking about, "like water for chocolate" was a dope album. I think ?uestloves production is tight and fits Common's style of rapping well.

TRIBE Member
well i'm talking about that album lacking the rawness that makes me go "whaaa...how'd he think of that rhyme" like a divine styler joint. that album didn't surprise or challenge me in any way, and in the end that's not very interesting.

i found the production catchy, but a bit too commercial for my taste. it was nice at first, but after 5 listens or so, i had to put it down. it's buried at the bottom of my cd bin somewhere.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
Wakes up? back to the "realness"? does that mean no more granola with the 12"s?

salathe: although i definately agree with you about the point of surprise and challange, i need music to do that to me to have a more involved appreciation but...

how is commercial production an adjective of the music sound? is it better produced cos more money is allocated to the engineering & all that? i find that using these kinds of terms is a breeding ground for the vs war, but then again everyone is so wont to it now anyway.

By your post, you almost make it seem like commercial=boring, which i don't see at all, but then again your understanding of commerical im sure differs from mine...

*sigh*

zorak

TRIBE Member
the problem with common is that everything past resurrection has been boring. i respect his intentions but personally want to fall asleep anytime i hear one of his tunes.

HMHA

TRIBE Member
common is quality. he may not be bumpin too many club tracks or thugin it out, but he speaks truth. i've found some of the beats to be a little plain, but his skills as an mc and lyrical content are what garner my respect for him.

bboyrds, what do you mean by 'realness'?

as for 'like water for chocolate', the album had some real choice cuts... the 6th sense? come on, anything that primo touchs is gold... that is just common sense...

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by miss riot

how is commercial production an adjective of the music sound? is it better produced cos more money is allocated to the engineering & all that? i find that using these kinds of terms is a breeding ground for the vs war, but then again everyone is so wont to it now anyway.

By your post, you almost make it seem like commercial=boring, which i don't see at all, but then again your understanding of commerical im sure differs from mine...

*sigh*
lol...sounds like you're a veteran of too many of these discussions. i see your point in calling me on my use of the term "commercial". i guess i mean to use the word just as an identifier for a rather vague and subjective grouping. It doesnt really serve well as an adjective of the aural quality I'm trying to refer to.

it is misleading to lump all the music that comes to you (as opposed to music you gotta dig to find) together, but i do hear a common :) element. i do hear a distinction between ppl out there to sell some cd's and those who do it cuz it's the nicest thing to them and damn, how better else to spend your time on earth? if you got a better way to communicate this dichotomy, i'm all ears :D .

i'm not deadset against stuff that gets mtv rotation. i've just found most of it, not what i'm into. i'll admit to being a jay-z fan, although anything new doesnt compare to his old stuff. i guess without hearing his hip-pop, i wouldn't have checked out his work when he was just coming up....hearing reasonable doubt makes me understand why some ppl think he's the greatest of all time...and it does have a lot of similarities to his later discs. it's just that the jay-z's are few and far between.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders