• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

coming to toronto - recommend me some record shops?

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
Hoping to find some good spots for digging - mainly funk, hiphop, old school, and breaks... generally less interested in the more ravey electronic styles, but my gf wants to find some jungle as well.

Help me out :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

evil homer

TRIBE Member
can't beat play de and their used place across the street
cosmos is fantastic but so expensive for old funk jazz soul hip hop
she said boom on roncesvalles has great old jazz and rock, some reggae and hip hop

there are a lot of other deep collections, but you'll sort through a lot of shit. If you're interested in digging - as opposed to just shopping - you could do worse than walking Queen street from university to ossington there are maybe twelve shops in twice as many blocks.

d.code

TRIBE Member
Yeah Soo you playin' anywhere in town? I know a few people that would love to check you out live.

Deffinatly check out Play De Record on young- and make sure to check out their used shop across the street Play De Vintage. Just ask and they will take care of you.

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Hey Soo when you come in Ill take you to the shops. Just get in touch and we will get it sorted.

Oh and yes he will be playing when in town (just cant say where)

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Rotate This at 168 Baldwin Street is a great little hidden gem for some true crate-digging gold. It's not large by any means, but the proprietors take extreme care in finding some incredible music that flies under the radar. It's all second hand, and you can find anything from early latin funk, spoken word, classical, classic rock, eeeaaarrrrrlllly breaks, and some pretty solid older hip-hop. I've spent a fair bit of time digging there and come out with some incredible music.

Play De Record Vintage on Yonge is a good shop, but it's popular and gets raked over pretty quick.

There are a couple of She Said Boom shops, the one on Roncesville is slightly bigger than the one on College... but the one on college doesn't get as much traffic so you're usually better off digging through their crates. You won't find much at all in the way of hip-hop, but there's some great early dub, reggae, roots, and some fantastic funk and breaks LPs from waaaaay back in the day. Their $0.50 bins are great too if you've got the time to spend sitting on the floor.

Someone's already mentioned it, but if you take a stroll along Queen street you'll find a handful of record shops that have older stuff as well as the new stuff.

If you've got a car, you can head to Ric's Recollections at 321 Lakeshore Rd. E. in Mississauga. It's an audiophile store and they have pretty much every genre under the sun. I've never had any luck with hip-hop there but they do have a wide variety of funk. Give them a call ahead of time to make sure they have what you're looking for before making the treck out there.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
I personally love Kopps Records in Moog Audio on Queen Street.
lots of great hip hop to dig through.

and 2theBeat on Spadina for breaks.

evil homer

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
Rotate This at 168 Baldwin Street is a great little hidden gem for some true crate-digging gold. It's not large by any means, but the proprietors take extreme care in finding some incredible music that flies under the radar. It's all second hand, and you can find anything from early latin funk, spoken word, classical, classic rock, eeeaaarrrrrlllly breaks, and some pretty solid older hip-hop. I've spent a fair bit of time digging there and come out with some incredible music.
indeed - probably the only place downtown with a good chunk of older reggae too.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alma

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
If you've got a car, you can head to Ric's Recollections at 321 Lakeshore Rd. E. in Mississauga.
That reminds me: there is a non-related store called Ric Collectibles at Main and Gerrard. Last time I was there (maybe a year ago) it was jammed with all kinds of records -- seriously jammed. Prices are average to high, but there are some unique records, and if you're buying a lot it's very negotiable. On the east side of Main just south of Gerrard.

155 Main St, 416-690-6399

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
wow - i may need to schedule a trip out there just to go crate digging sometime...

thanks for all the suggestions :).

I'll be in town from the 14th - 19th... i guess since i'm here, any good show suggestions or nights? I'm basically in town cause my sister is graduating from grad school and I'd love find a good place to take her to celebrate...

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
on the sunday you should come down to cherry beach for the outdoor party! informal thing and a tradition around here.

probably could even play if you wanted to!