1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Coming soon to Alberta; L'il Lisa Slurry

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by tripleup, Sep 17, 2010.

1. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

Two-jawed mutant fish fuels oilsands dissent

CALGARY - A northern Alberta native band that displayed a deformed, two-jawed fish at a weekend water conference says the grotesque specimen has ramped up efforts to collect evidence to show Alberta’s oilsands are poisoning both wildlife and people.

The band is therefore calling on the government to place a moratorium on oilsands development.

George Poitras, a spokesman for the Mikisew Cree First Nation, said the band is deciding what to do with the large goldeye fish, which was found last week by children playing in the waters of Lake Athabasca, downstream from the oilsands plants.

“What happens to the wildlife and the fish is eventually what is going to happen to us,” Poitras said, adding that people have expressed “disbelief” after viewing the fish.

Poitras said he had heard reports of deformed fish from community members around Fort Chipewyan, 260 kilometres north of Fort McMurray, Alta., but “we will begin to collect them now much more vigilantly.”

The fish was displayed at the Keepers of the Water Conference Sunday.

Poitras is keeping the unusual fish in a freezer at an undisclosed location until he returns from a two-week holiday.

“We’re determining the next steps in terms of analysis,” he said.

However, a spokesman for the Alberta government’s Department of Sustainable Resource Development said there’s no evidence the deformity was caused by a contaminant. Dave Ealey said fish abnormalities can be due to disease or other environmental factors.

Ealey said the fish should be reported to the Regional Aquatics Monitoring Program, an organization made up of industry, government, environmental and First Nations groups.

He also said his department will test the fish, if given the chance.

“It’s not something we see very often; it’s particular,” Ealey said of the fish. “There’s nothing we can say about a specimen unless we can take a look at it.”

The Mikisew Cree and other native groups - along with environmentalists - want a moratorium on oilsands-project approvals until government and industry can assess the damage caused by the developments, and find ways to mitigate it.

Residents believe leakage or spills from oilsands tailings ponds has polluted the Athabasca River and lake.

Many in the village of Fort Chipewyan, population 1,200, say oilsands developments may be responsible for rare types of cancer in the community, poor water quality and other health problems.

Syncrude Canada’s Aurora mine site was the cause of international controversy this year when 500 water fowl died after landing on a tailings pond, which holds the remaining clay, water, sand, hydrocarbons and heavy metals that are the result of the extraction process.

© (c) CanWest MediaWorks Publications Inc.
  2. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

cant forget this one with the gigantic tumour on its side.

or this....

3. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

I'm back working the oil patch, and the volume of toxic chemicals used just in the drilling and fracture processes is astounding. Both those process involve pumping chemicals down hole into the water table and aquifer.

I don't even want to think about how much is being put into the Athabasca in an extraction process for oilsand separation.
  4. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

this gives a new meaning to Western Alienation!
  5. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Sell it on ebay?
  6. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

Mutations are natural.

7. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Some mutations are natural.
  8. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

Most mutations are natural.

9. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

sometimes revolutionary.
    i, for one, welcome our two jawed fishlords.
  10. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Pan-fry that guy and surprise-serve him to Danielle Smith while the TV cameras capture the delectably-squirmy moment for posterity.
  11. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

You pump toxic chemicals into the ground to make a living?
  12. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Yay maphi is here to share outrage and indignation!
  13. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Which has never, ever happened in Ontario. Ever.
  14. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

You betcha! *wink
  15. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

Well, as long as every province and territory in Canada and every country on earth is working hard to destroy the planet, I suppose it's ok. Especially if the worker drones are getting paid well to make the planet uninhabitable! Yay money!
  16. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

No, I work in the production/completion side, part of which is pulling the chemicals out of the ground.
  17. todiefor

todiefor TRIBE Promoter

there actually is a theory that it's possible that the mutations occur because of the high mineral/oil content in the land surrounding the river (excuse my lack of technical description).

i guess that's what the government is trying to figure out right now, whether it's due to the work the oil companies are doing or if it's simply because of unusually high content of certain minerals and other deposits in the land up there.

I doubt that's the case, but that's the word on the street.
  18. maphi

maphi TRIBE Member

Everyone who is ignorant about the vast scale of destruction the oil sands are causing should check out the movie Petropolis.

YouTube - Petropolis Trailer HD