• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Coming into the Toronto House scene

Fidelity

TRIBE Member
Hi everybody,

So I'm moving out to Toronto at the end of April and need some guidance.

I'm coming from Calgary, where there is a decent amount of house on thursdays, fridays and saturdays, but it's not very diverse.

My favorite sounds are deeper, soulful, funky house. I've poked around in this forum a bit, and it's been quite helpful but I'd still like to find out more like:

-what nights are the best for deep house?
-which locals are playing this stuff, who should I be on the lookout for?
-is the Toronto house scene large and fragmented, or fairly cohesive?
-what kind of cover charges/dress codes should I expect?
-does anyone want to trade mixes? (I've played out a bit here in Calgary and have a couple mixes I like to give out)
-where's the best vietnamese food? (okay not related to house but I gotta know!)
-are raves a big thing for house music at all or is it all clubs?

Sorry about the barage of questions. Any info you can throw at me would be appreciated :)

-becca

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

ian

TRIBE Member
People's defintions of "deep", "soulful" and "funky" are wildly different.

Why don't you posts some artists and DJs that you enjoy and we will sort you out with similar stuff going down in TO.

Oh, and you will like it here! Toronto rocks.

ian

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Fidelity
-are raves a big thing for house music at all or is it all clubs?

These only happen for 16-19 year olds anymore really (in Toronto) and are fairly sporadic and feature mostly trance and hardcore. House is firmly in 'da clubs (and the occasional afterhours).

Fidelity

TRIBE Member
Hi Ian, thanks for replying...

Let's see, producer-wise I like:
John Tejada
Joey Negro
Chris Lum
Gene Farris
most folk on the Lowdown Label
Kenneth Graham
Jay-J
Todd Edwards
Miguel Migs
Larent Garnier
Jay Tripwire

Dj-wise I like
Lil Louis Vega (my fav)
Dylan Drazen
Derrick Carter
Dimitri from Paris
Jon Delerious
...there's more but my brain is slow tonight

Oh and I have one more question: what record stores have the best house selections in Toronto?

Thanks again for the help
bluesmile.gif

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
If you're into those dj/producers libralove, poundhouse, solma, milk and angel and cullen's parties are the parties to check out. Like Ian said, soulful and funky have different definitions here, but the above mentioned should cater to your taste.

As for pho - I'm partial to saigon palace (spadina, one block south of college)

As for record stores - If I'm downtown, I like to shop at Kops or at Rotate This (for the deeper house stuff). Metropolis is ok once in awhile.

For funkier stuff, you have sneakbeats, play de record.

As for trading mixes, everyone on this board loves to hear other people's mixes, so bring it on...hope this helps.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ian

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by *SiLver*RoBoT*
If you're into those dj/producers libralove, poundhouse, solma, milk and angel and cullen's parties are the parties to check out. Like Ian said, soulful and funky have different definitions here, but the above mentioned should cater to your taste.

As for record stores - If I'm downtown, I like to shop at Kops or at Rotate This (for the deeper house stuff). Metropolis is ok once in awhile.

As for trading mixes, everyone on this board loves to hear other people's mixes, so bring it on...hope this helps.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

Our Robot friend is bang on with his advice.

nuttz

TRIBE Member
Saturday nights at Element is the place you wanna be for deep funky house. Every time I'm there the music is always good and the crowd is always in the mood to get down.
With $2.50 drinks you can't go wrong.

s1k

TRIBE Member
Hi Ian, thanks for replying...

Let's see, producer-wise I like:
John Tejada
Joey Negro
Chris Lum
Gene Farris
most folk on the Lowdown Label
Kenneth Graham
Jay-J
Todd Edwards
Miguel Migs
Larent Garnier
Jay Tripwire

Dj-wise I like
Lil Louis Vega (my fav)
Dylan Drazen
Derrick Carter
Dimitri from Paris
Jon Delerious
...there's more but my brain is slow tonight

Oh and I have one more question: what record stores have the best house selections in Toronto?

Thanks again for the help
bluesmile.gif

Well depending on when you're comin, you can catch THe don himself Frankie Knuckles at boa at the end of the month, Vega's at guvernment as well. You can catch luke solomon at underbar this friday and catch j dub next friday.

Really, bein avid house fan i move around, there's no one place to call home unfortunatly. If you really want some good house move to montreal. Catch david morales the last sat of the month, angel moraes at gravity, and everythin adn everyone else you cuold think of in between.

Oh don't forget comfort zone, u gotta do it, just for the fuk of it, pop the cherry you know.

HiShyGuy

TRIBE Member

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

Kops ... where dat???

elektrofunk

TRIBE Member

As for record stores - If I'm downtown, I like to shop at Kops or at Rotate This (for the deeper house stuff). Metropolis is ok once in awhile. [/B]

I second that recomendation.....but i found that kop's is getting more and more tech housey..even more than it usually was.......rotate has a good selection of recs and a wide variety.....just bought 2 new naked singles there for $10 bucks each....you can always go to play de record but prepared to spend a while searching for wut you want sifting through all the records they have........or ask the person working at any store...most of them are nice...

dstarr

TRIBE Member
I think that you're going to love Toronto!

this town kicks ass and I think that we're so blessed to have what we have in terms of the house music scene.

I know I'm not being specific here but you're on Tribe so you're starting off on the right foot! Also, I think alot of good things go on that don't make it onto Tribe which I think is good because it promotes diversity and shows how rich the scene is here.

MadWej

TRIBE Member
Hi everybody,

So I'm moving out to Toronto at the end of April and need some guidance.

-becca

So we are not good enough to ask advice any more :D

Can't wait to see you back...Toronto will be surely blessed...

a.ron

Fidelity

TRIBE Member
^^^ Oh hi Aron, I forgot you were on this board. I can't wait to be back and see you too. :)

*SiLver*RoBoT* and everyone thanks for the info.
Saturday at element sounds sweet, 2.50 drinks are way cheaper than I would have expected.

I'm moving at the end of april so I guess I'll miss Vega at guv. Does he come around often though? He's only played one show here in Calgary.

funk21

TRIBE Member
There are also a few good boat parties here in the summer time. You may also want to check out Cherry beach on Sundays. There is nothing better than getting together with friends near the beach and listening to great house, techno, heck whatever!!!.

As for people/Promotional companies to see I have to agree with the list Silver Robot provided(a great Deep DJ in his own right!!). Gryphon and Hodges are always tight if you get a chance to see them. I would also mention the Pixelate Parties and Leisure. One last thing, Dino and Terry's night at Alto Basso. Personally I have not had a chance to roll to one of these events(every Friday) but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Dino and Terry always come correct too!!!.

Cheers
Ben