• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

College drinking related to 1,400 deaths annually in the states

Rosey

TRIBE Member
from CNN...
College drinking related to 1,400 deaths annually and 70,000 cases of sexual assault
April 9, 2002 Posted: 11:53 AM EDT (1553 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- An estimated 1,400 college students are killed every year in alcohol-related accidents, according to a study released Tuesday -- a study that researchers call the most comprehensive look ever at the consequences of student drinking.

The researchers say the figures show that college drinking needs to seen as a major health concern.

"Historically, I think there has been the view that whatever college students are doing, it's not that serious a problem, it's a rite of passage," said Kenneth J. Sher, a psychology professor at the University of Missouri-Columbia.

The study by the federally supported Task Force on College Drinking estimated that drinking by college students contributes to 500,000 injuries and 70,000 cases of sexual assault or date rape. Also, 400,000 students between 18 and 24 years old reported having had unprotected sex as a result of drinking.

The study does not say whether the problems are increasing or decreasing. A Harvard School of Public Health survey released last month reported that more students are abstaining from alcohol, but levels of binge drinking -- having at least four or five drinks at a sitting -- are the same as in the early 1990s.

The new report is one of 24 studies commissioned by the task force of college presidents, scientists and students convened by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. The institute is part of the National Institutes of Health.

Most of the papers will be published in the forthcoming March issue of the Journal of Studies on Alcohol.

Researchers integrated various databases and survey results to reach their findings.

Motor vehicle fatalities were the most common form of alcohol-related deaths. The statistics included college students killed in car accidents if the students had alcohol in their blood, even if the level was below the legal limit.

Students who died in other alcohol-related accidents, such as falls and drownings, were included. Those who died as a result of homicides or suicides were not.

Chief researcher Ralph Hingson of the Boston University School of Public Health said he believes the estimates are more likely to be too conservative than overstated.

"I think actually getting the numbers out will help the public understand that this is a very large problem, perhaps a larger problem than people might have otherwise thought," he said.
well it's a good thing that marijuana and ecstasy are illegal, if they weren't people might drink less! then think of all the tax dollars that'd be lost. :rolleyes:

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Let's see...

Strange news this week... first, smoking 5 or so joints a week, and your IQ goes up by 6 points... smoke 37 a week, then quit, goes up 4 points... smoke none, and you gain 2.

Drink, become stupid, kill yourself, or become pregnant, or get raped.

The states spends $18 billion a year on the War on Drugs because they NEED people to stay stupid... it all makes sense now... they want people to drink, and not smoke, or they will become smart enough to overthrow the government or sumfin ionno.

Sukebe Jiji

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by fuzzy
And this is off of watered down alcohol!!!
watered down beer, BUT stronger mixed drinks ;) In Canada bars use around 1 oz of alcohol, in the States it is 1.5 - 2 oz per drink.

Getting back on topic..these college drinking reports are such piles of crap though..I am of the opinion that if the US actually lowered its drinking age half of these problems would disappear. In Canada most kids start drinking, or gain a respect for alcohol while still living at home..this in turn allows for a smooth transition into the harder drinking days of college/university. In the States however, most kids have their first drink while in college...They do not have any respect for alcohol, nor do they know their own limits..PLUS!!! It becomes almost fashionable to pound as much alcohol as humanly possible to the chic nature of underage drinking - which in Canada has long since disappeared by the time college comes around.

I hope this made sense, I have to run and play bball but I just wanted to comment on an issue I see every day here :)

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Mmmmm... poison.

BBB.

GlugGlugGlug! Hey! Why is my liver hanging over my belt?

(Yes, I'm a hypocrite. I am human, after all.)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Sukebe Jiji
It becomes almost fashionable to pound as much alcohol as humanly possible to the chic nature of underage drinking - which in Canada has long since disappeared by the time college comes around.
Are you living in the same Canada as me?

Or maybe you went to DeVry or something...

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
There was also a news report yesterday stating that for a woman to drink 2 drinks a day she should consider herself a "heavy" drinker, as women's bodies tend to concentrate the alcohol to a greater degree and the liver damage is more severe. For a man, 5 drinks a day is supposedly the equivalent level.

BBB.

Shoddy second-hand news, brought to you by "I was listening to the news from the bathroom.".

Sukebe Jiji

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by PosTMOd

Are you living in the same Canada as me?

Or maybe you went to DeVry or something...
Actually, I am surprised you did not make this logical leap yourself, I don't live in Canada.

Whenever I return to Canada to visit my friends, who are in Canadian universities, I am always surprised by the responsible drinking habits found at bars. Of course some people get out of hand, but compared to schools in the US it is nothing. Anyways, this is just what I have experienced...so feel free to not believe me and insult my intelligence again.

peter

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

LoopeD

TRIBE Member
Actually, Canadians think they party hard, but the truth of the matter is this:

We can personally handle far more booze, but the American colleges are CRAZY. Nudity everywhere - when's the last time you saw a wet T-shirt contest in Canada? Or a banana-eating contest? Or Mardi Gras-style beads, cause they're not just at Mardi Gras any more - every Spring break destination has bead-theme parties. A guy I met and hung around with on my trip brought his own beads to one of them. He was like "Where's yours"? I said I didnt bring any. He says I should have cause you wait. Sure enough, two slightly inebriated HOT ladies come up to him and ask him for some of his beads. He says Sorry guys, you know the drill. They flash their bare breasts to him, and one of them grabbed his package. I'm sitting there going Man, if a Canadian girl did that, she'd be branded a slut in about one second - even just the baring of the boobs!

Actually, I couldn't picture a Canadian girl even contemplating it.

Watching the spring break partiers on vacation made me realize how conservative Canadians, especially Canadian women, are. This is sometimes a good thing, of course - I don't know how much I'd want my girlfriend flashing her goodies just for a bead necklace, but there you have it - Yank girls are crazy, irresponsible drunks. Enough said. But they do have fun.

Seriously, even the smaller American colleges put so-called "party schools" like Western to shame. Not quantity of booze, I bet we down about 10 times more in volume, but QUALITY.

:D

:)d - would have enjoyed more random female nudity in the college years - Canadian women, though generally hotter, are WAY TOO UPTIGHT!! ;)

Sukebe Jiji

TRIBE Promoter
Looped:

Exactly!! I mean this Thursday I will probably be going to this party called "Anything For Money". When you enter you get a certain sum of Monopoly money, then, with that money, you offer it up to people in exchange for them doing something...needless to say nudity is rampant and everyone making out...and almost no one remembers a thing the next morning. It is absolutely absurd..

I seriously believe that in Canada we learn how to drink at an earlier age, and how to behave when drunk, while in the States kids, who never even had a beer, just show up ready to go wild...and they do.

And now, due to the reactionary nature of American policies in general, there is a huge movement for dry campuses across the US...oh well...I graduate in May so it is not my problem :)

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Okay, so I'm the idiot. Sorry, Sukebe Jiji, I guess I really was ignorant...

Who would have thunk that the americans could take something to the ludicrous extreme? :rolleyes:

Sukebe Jiji

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by PosTMOd
Okay, so I'm the idiot. Sorry, Sukebe Jiji, I guess I really was ignorant...

Who would have thunk that the americans could take something to the ludicrous extreme? :rolleyes:
Why are you so hostile?

I am simply trying to explain why there is a huge anti-alcohol movement in the States and not in Canada. Are there any dry campuses in Canada? Is there a drive to ban alcohol from all universities and colleges? If there are then I am obviously way off the mark here, but I have not heard of any of these things happening. I realize I am making massive assumptions and generalizations, but give me a break.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sukebe Jiji

TRIBE Promoter
you were?!? damn....you did indeed have me fooled.

I read that last comment of yours with a dry sarcastic tone attached to it (which seems to be the way in which one reads your posts ;)), making it seem like another barbed remark.

Regardless, it was my bad at the beginning for not fully explaining my point...

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
As for Canadian Girls... yes, they are hot but in general WAY more uptight. Maybe it is just me or the women that I see around most of the time but a lot of them just seem way to snotty for my liking. It is almost like the majority of them walk around with the attitude that they are hot shit and are way too good for everybody or anybody. Montreal girls on the other hand are an exception.