• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Collection agents -- How to get rid of them?

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
And before you say "pay your bills", let me give you a bit of background.

A bit more than a year ago, my friend who was working at Blackberry got me a device before the department tanked.

I signed it up on Rogers.

Obviously, they signed me up with some phone number. (yay 519!)

However, it seems the previous owner/user of this phone number did not pay her bills and has credit collectors phoning non-stop.

I CONTINUOUSLY tell them that:

1. I am not Tabitha (xxx) (are they even allowed to tell me her name? Because they do)
2. I have no idea who Tabitha is or where she is
3. There is no chance that in the future I might meet this person.

Nonetheless, they call so relentlessly that my phone is useless. I no longer take any incoming calls. There is also a Benjamin who owes money to rogers and I get calls for him too.

HOW do I stop this?

-jM
A&D

Stop Bill C-10

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Correction:

There is always the perpetual non-zero possibility that I may, indeed meet "Tabitha".

-jM
A&D

PS:
Perpetual non-zero probability doesn't have a wiki page yet! A first! Where is Sporty Dan? Induck quack quack induck YAY poop quack induck

Last edited:

ScottBentley

TRIBE Member
Same thing is happening to me, but judging by the 17 consonants and 8 vowels in each name, the guy they're looking for must be Sri Lankan or something. So whomever I speak with just says sorry, we'll stop calling. It's usually a couple months before the file is passed off to another agency and I get another call.

Are you sure that Tabitha isn't a stage name you chose for yourself during a blackout?

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

djfear

TRIBE Member
Just pretend you're a sex phone line and start breathing heavily into the phone. Or start saying "cunt cunt cunt cunt" until they hang up.

... I don't think my suggestions are very helpful, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do them.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Same thing is happening to me, but judging by the 17 consonants and 8 vowels in each name, the guy they're looking for must be Sri Lankan or something. So whomever I speak with just says sorry, we'll stop calling. It's usually a couple months before the file is passed off to another agency and I get another call.

Are you sure that Tabitha isn't a stage name you chose for yourself during a blackout?

Or Greek?

I love how so many people complain about Sri Lankan and Indian people's name but no one says boo about Greek.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
You're wrong, and I disagree; there is a chance you may meet Tabitha in the future

And the chance is 50/50. You either will or you wont.

Anyhow can you not block numbers that are saved into phone?
If so, save the number(s) to your phone go to that number go to options look for the block in coming calls. However not all phones do this.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Can't you just change your number?

Lobo

Sure I can just change my number, but, that number is already on a lot of documents that are "important". Moreover, the number I was given is random and surely the next number is random too, the chances of having the same problem still exist.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
You're wrong, and I disagree; there is a chance you may meet Tabitha in the future

I agree, and I believe I corrected myself on this manner.

It is known as the perpetual non-zero probability.

Also known as my sex life.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member

If so, save the number(s) to your phone go to that number go to options look for the block in coming calls. However not all phones do this.

The incoming number is always different.

The ONLY time I answer it, is when I'm drunk, which is admittedly, rather frequent these days.

On occasion, they will leave a message, for Tabitha, and a call back number.

If it's 9pm and I'm already hammered, I tell them straight up, I have no idea who this person is. They literally call about three or four times a day, each time, a different phone number, so I cannot block it.

On 75% of the occasions, as soon as I say I'm not Tabitha or know who she is, they just hang up. I have no recourse. I don't even know to whom to complain.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
There is a guy mumbling on my couch about his father.

Is it Luke Skywalker?

He's asking for a CPAP machine.

I bought a during.

-jM
A^D

EltrikSoulCntlr

TRIBE Member
Tell them that your name is Detective O'Mally of the Toronto Homicide Squad, Tabitha is now deceased. Maybe they can help your investigation?

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member

Well, you're partially correct that I will or I won't, but that doesn't make it 50/50. There is a much greater chance that I will never meet Tabitha, whoever she is, so it's more like 99.999/0.0001.

Now if you want to get technical, there is the quantum superposition that I will both meet and not meet Tabitha. I don't know about the probabilities in that, most likely, case. If I do meet Tabitha the waveform collapses to 100/zero. Or is it 100/1? Anyway, it sounds stupid but if I meet Tabitha, then I have met Tabitha. For contrast, the same cannot be said about Jesus, for example. There are billions of people who have met Jesus, who have not actually met Jesus.

I use a blackberry. It cannot do much of anything.

Credit collection companies' phone numbers change all the time. Even if my BB could block numbers, it wouldn't help. Furthermore, it usually comes up as "unknown number". Which is a problem cause my dealer also comes up as "unknown number", so I'm always torn "Should I stay or should I go?"
And when I stay, it's usually for Tabitha.

Usually. Not 50/50; but if I just don't answer the phone then there is the perpetual non-zero probability that it was my drug dealer.

-jM
A&D