• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Coffee Cuts Damage From Alcohol

millicent

TRIBE Member
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...ageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

Coffee cuts damage from alcohol: Study
Cirrhosis rate lowered 20% for each cup drunk

Unclear if caffeine is the protective ingredient in drink
Jun. 13, 2006. 09:36 AM
CARLA K. JOHNSON
ASSOCIATED PRESS

CHICAGO—Coffee may counteract alcohol's poisonous effects on the liver and help prevent cirrhosis, researchers say.
In a study of more than 125,000 people, one cup of coffee per day cut the risk of alcoholic cirrhosis by 20 per cent. Four cups per day reduced the risk by 80 per cent.
The coffee effect held true for women and men of various ethnic backgrounds.
It is unclear whether it is the caffeine or some other ingredient in coffee that provides the protection, said study co-author Dr. Arthur Klatsky of the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, an affiliate of an Oakland, Calif.-based health management organization (HMO).
Of course, there is a better way to avoid alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver, Klatsky said.
"The way to avoid getting ill is not to drink a lot of coffee, but to cut down on the drinking" of alcohol, he said.
The participants ranged from teetotallers, who made up 12 per cent of the total, to heavy drinkers, who made up 8 per cent. The researchers calculated the risk reductions rate for the whole group, not just the drinkers.
Not all heavy drinkers develop cirrhosis, an irreversible scarring of the liver that hurts the organ's ability to filter toxins from the blood.
Klatsky said the new findings may help explain why some people's livers survive heavy alcohol use.
Hepatitis C and some inherited diseases can also cause cirrhosis. But the study found coffee did not protect the liver from those other causes of scarring.
The same study found coffee drinkers had healthier results on blood tests used to measure liver function, whether or not they were heavy alcohol users. Coffee's effect on reducing liver enzymes in the blood was more apparent among the heavy drinkers in the study.
The findings, published in yesterday's Archives of Internal Medicine, a publication of the American Medical Association, build on reports that coffee also may reduce the risk of liver cancer.
The data came from members of a California HMO. Members' coffee consumption was noted only at the beginning of the study, which the researchers admit is a limitation. They were followed for an average of 14 years.
The researchers found no reduced risk of cirrhosis for tea drinkers. Tea has less caffeine and there were fewer heavy tea drinkers in the study, so if caffeine is the protective ingredient, an effect may not have shown up for tea, Klatsky said.

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
This could be counter productive info.
About to pass out from the booze, has coffee to soften the blow, wide awake and starts drinking again.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
tell us something new aleady.. coffee its counterbalance to alcohol.. um yeah this isn't ground breaking news!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
lucky1 said:
tell us something new aleady.. coffee its counterbalance to alcohol..
I don't think you read the article properly. They are not referring to a cup of coffe to help you sober up at 2 am. They are talking about the long term damage associated with drinking.

lucky1 said:
.. um yeah this isn't ground breaking news!
yes, this is.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
lucky1 said:
tell us something new aleady.. coffee its counterbalance to alcohol.. um yeah this isn't ground breaking news!

wait, were you being sarcastic? my sarcaso-meter doesn't always work.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat said:
wait, were you being sarcastic? my sarcaso-meter doesn't always work.

yes saracastic... if you are drinking enough booze to give you cirohsis then drinking coffee to counteract it is hardly what you should do... cutting out booze is the best "treatment" obviously..

I just have a problem with so many useless heatlh studies...

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
mingster said:
so technically, shouldn't coffee beer cancel itself out?

you would think, i prefer to think it gives you an inside edge more than cancelling it out, in fact, i think the mill st coffee porter with a expresso chaser is easily the best option

[jai]

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories