• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

CODA opening -- with Art Department

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Surprised/not surprised no one has posted a review here yet about the new afterhours nightclub in Toronto. Here's my take.

We went hoping for a cool new space to dance to good music with like-minded people and weren't disappointed. I think the new space is better in almost every way, except it's further from my place. There was basically no line for advance ticket holders at 11:30 - loved that. We were whisked right in. Coat check was smooth coming and going. The layout of the club is great - it's big, much bigger than Footwork(s), with neat sightlines. The dancefloor seems sunk-in, surrounded by raised areas with tables and seating that could have been used for bottle service/VIP but weren't, at least as far as I could tell. Like in the old days. I don't know if no-bottle-service is a thing here or not, but it was cool to see. Anyone who wanted to find a seat to sit down was welcome to it. Marx and Engles would be proud.

The dancefloor was awesome - a proper wood floor like at Stereo, with some bounce to it (or maybe that was just me). The layout of the dancefloor is a bit similar too - very wide and a good size. The lighting was cool, nothing invasive, no crazy lasers, smoke machines, tee-shirt cannons, etc., understated if you can even say that about nightclub lighting. The sound was nice and clear as well - I'm not an audiophile but the music sounded good from all areas of the venue. There was like a low wall of bins in front of the DJ booth and stacks on each side. I was able to chat with people on the dancefloor without screaming at them which is nice.

The bathrooms were typically bad (I guess what can you expect)? But getting drinks was easy - they had loads of bartenders, with friendly and fast service. I never waited more than 5 minutes for a drink from either bar, which is stellar. Cocktails were $6.50 or $7. Plastic glasses suck but I guess that's standard now in clubs to avoid any Francis Begby like incidents.

The crowd was up for it - the venue was packed but there was loads of room to dance which was always the problem with Footwork(s). There was still a pretty full dancefloor when we left at 4:30. Art Department plays a lot in town, but they played all new music - at least nothing I really had heard all summer. Nice house music set, a bit more tempo than usual. I was into it more than the past few times I saw them. The opening DJ was really great, too.

I think it's really nice to have a proper venue in town for those of us who still like to go out and dance. My girlfriend and I had a great time - we'll go back....especially if they book Adam Beyer in Toronto after his Montreal appearance because that would be great. Make this happen, guys?

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
nice review

it will be good news if the crew are able to maintain vibe, the sound, and the talent, while making necessary tweaks along the way.

looking forward to a derrick carter debut, perhaps a tenaglia, and lots more down the line. prospects are bright, hopefully it all comes and then holds together. best wishes to all involved (many since before day 1) :)

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Forgot to mention there was still too many people smoking inside, but I guess in cold, wintry Toronto that's gonna happen. Seeing Jonny and Kenny smoking throughout their set probably set the tone there!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Stupid smokers.

REally nice to hear about the dancefloor space, that killed my enjoyment of Footwork, full stop. I'm a single issue raver. I'll be there this weekend for bodzin and will report back.

Taro

TRIBE Member
great review - good to know some Tribers still go out :p I'm looking forward to heading to Coda sometime in teh next 6 months...

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

oeretS

TRIBE Member
Seeing Jonny and Kenny smoking throughout their set probably set the tone there!
I looked at some pictures from the night online and you're right, AD were smoking in literally every one lol

excited to check CODA soon, went to a few shows pre renovations but I really want to hear the new PK system in there

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
mar 1 at coda too! sick!
Yes! I just looked that up and you're right. Can't wait.

sidenote: I also just discovered CODA is an acronym for the Council of Drug Abuse, in addition to its true meaning which I am didn't bother to look up. Cheeky...

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
True, but time is money, mine is quite valuable and attending licensed nightclubs isn't nearly as high on my list of priorities as it used to be. ;)

octo

TRIBE Member
is the dj booth high up and segregated from the dancefloor? one of the best things about FW was that the dj was so close. it felt like there was a relationship between the dj and the dancefloor.

in the pics i've seen before opening night, it's seemed like the dj booth was a seperate VIP section.

Maui

TRIBE Member
What would happen to a venue if authorities catch people smoking inside?
Who cares? Why you gonna call the cops?

Fast forward 20 years..... "What would happen to a venue if authorities catch people not wearing a helmet inside?"

octo

TRIBE Member
i was there last night for octave one.

the club is EXCELLENT!!!

the size and layout are perfect. the sound is GREAT!

Toronto hasn't had a proper club like this since...i dunno. system

and truth be told, i didn't like system much. there i said it.

if i were younger i'd be at coda every weekend.

when's derrick carter coming? he'll tear the roof off

when's kenny glasgow gonna throw down some techno in that place? none of this art department pussy house bullshit. ya i said it too. that shit belongs in an elevator not a club.

bring blawan

octo

TRIBE Member
two more things

1) it was a little bright at times. but i say that about every club. i prefer a dj, a red light and a feeling.

2) i'd like to apologize to octave one for taking a picture while they were praying. i didn't realise they were praying till i looked at the pic. i felt like i invaded they're personal moment. sorry about that.

Last edited:

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Was there last night for Octave One and had a good time... Went by myself and felt totally comfortavle... Octave One's set waz awesome and I was able to bust a move.on the dance floor az it was not rammed... Fairly young crowd but hey were all thers to listen to good music and have a good time...

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Was there on Friday also - been a few times before the official re-opening (Minus halloween, Bicep) , and like what they have done with the space. Room to move, not too pushy, sound is pretty good.

Really enjoyed Octave Ones set - was looking forward to Saunderson more, but ended up enjoying Octaves set the most. The sort of fall into the side of techno that I don't gravitate towards for home-listening, but enjoy it when hearing it out live. Was a solid night, but not an epic-legendary night either. Only minor complaint was my bf needing to leave his e-cig with the bouncers out front and not allowed to take it into the club (found it odd), got it back at the end of the night no problem though.

Seems like there are a few solid things coming up there over the next few months, have a feeling I'll probably be making it out to Coda more often than I was footwork. I do think they need to get their line situation sorted out on their busier nights though - remember going to go a few weeks ago, seeing the shit-show of a lineup and heading elsewhere. It was fine last night though (no issue), but all around seems like a really promising start for the new location.

bring blawan

Yes.. or Karenn.