• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Coachella 2009

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
the sunday line up has my name written all over it! ok, technically it doesn't, but there are loads of bands i'd love to see on that day whereas friday and saturday don't really interest me. i still want to go though.

i am really itching to go to a proper music festival. this one seems like a nice "starter" one, what with not having to roll around in mud like at glastonbury. one day!

sigh.

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
obviously a good lineup, but tonnes of irrelevant acts on the list

question for past attendees, how do the nights work? are there raves at the camping? or is it just camping?

also, i've seen youtube's of people like bassnectar, ana sia etc... playing at coachella but never seen them on the official lineup, how does that work? are there side parties?

Jme

TRIBE Member
Is this one stage or many? With so many artists I wonder how long everyone's set is going to be, 3 songs? Then spend 20-30 mins setting up for the next act.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Is this one stage or many? With so many artists I wonder how long everyone's set is going to be, 3 songs? Then spend 20-30 mins setting up for the next act.
When I went in 2007, there were 1 main huge stage, 1 big side stage. And 3 large tents, the biggest one probably has a 10k capacity And one small dome where some smaller DJ's (not on the main bill) were spinning.

The sets were usually at least 40 minutes. The main acts were an hour, headliners usually 80 minutes. Most of the music stops at midnight, I think a few of the tents went till 1am, but that was usually due to delays.

The problem with Coachella is the double bookings, in the sense that if you think there are 30 bands/artists you want to see, in reality unless you are willing to give up a good spot at one stage/tent to run back and forth around the grounds you will definitely not see everything you wanted. When I was there my GF and I opted to see Sonic Youth and DJ Shadow at the side stage because we were front row, rather than run back to the mainstage to see Interpol and Bjork from a far distance in the crowd. And some of the tents just get way to busy if an act has a ton of buzz, ie....not that I gave a shit to see her then but when Winehouse played in 2007 you basically could not get into the tent.

The line up looks the weakest to date.
I agree. Since 1999 they have had some ridiculous lineups, this is not one of them. It's definitely impressive but nothing that make me consider making the trip (which 2007 definitely did).

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
obviously a good lineup, but tonnes of irrelevant acts on the list

question for past attendees, how do the nights work? are there raves at the camping? or is it just camping?

also, i've seen youtube's of people like bassnectar, ana sia etc... playing at coachella but never seen them on the official lineup, how does that work? are there side parties?
when I went, we camped off-site. Someone with property adjacent to the Coachella Polo Fields (where the festival is held) was selling spots to people to camp there, think there was probably 100 people.

And the rules there were obviously a lot less restrictive than the actual Coachella site. I'm pretty sure the Coachella camping security was fairly strict with rules and such (alcohol, noise, etc) so no raves. Although there was some pretty crazy partying after we saw Rage perform (who closed the festival), I think there was some excessive crazyness in the camping area as we saw lots of cops in riot gear when we were leaving....probably nothing got out of hand in the end though.

as for people playing that is not on the bill, there was another DJ area erected, its a big multicoloured dome thing....pretty simple set up, probably 150-200 people could fit inside, a few somewhat big names were on the bill (Pendulum, Total Science, etc....think it was mainly for Cali area DJ's, etc) but you only find out those names when you pick up the actual program guide at the festival

Last edited:

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
^^cool cool thanks for the info, that other tent is where bassnectar and the glitch mob were playing last year

yeah don't think its for me, maybe its the raver in me but i love full on festivals where the party doesn't stop, aka shambhala, burning man, glastonburry etc... its great because you can sleep whenever you want get up and there is always something going on

this seems a bit more like a concert with a campground adjancent to it

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
yeah.

what I do hear is the more free-form festival definitely is Bonnarro

music goes almost 24 hours, security is a bit more lax, headlining performers are encouraged to do extended sets, camping is a bit more lax.

unfortunately Bonnarro's headliners this year are Phish and Springsteen and I don't give a shit about seeing them.