• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

CNN article on "snowball fighting problem" in Toronto

Tearer

TRIBE Member
LOL

TORONTO, Ontario (Reuters) -- A snowball fight is almost a rite of passage for students in Canada but Toronto schools are moving to strengthen a ban on the practice they say is violent and dangerous.

As the first big snowfall greeted Canada's most populous city this week, schools encouraged students to engage in kinder, gentler activities, such as building snow forts or riding sleds.

"We don't encourage people to throw things at other people - rocks, sticks or snow," Maureen Kaukinen, system superintendent for the Toronto District School Board, told Reuters Tuesday.

While snowball fights are expected to continue to rage off the schoolyard, Kaukinen said schools cannot condone acts of violence.

The school board, in keeping with a nonviolence code in the province of Ontario, plans to suspend students who injure others using snowballs.

Schools have had problems with snowballs in the past. In December, a child was mistakenly trapped in a giant snowball his friends were rolling in their school yard in nearby Niagara Falls. Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation was required to revive him.

Kaukinen said that to avoid such dangers students are reminded that snow should stay on the ground and not become an instrument of violence.

Source

We're such a quiant country...

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Tearer
In December, a child was mistakenly trapped in a giant snowball his friends were rolling in their school yard in nearby Niagara Falls. Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation was required to revive him.

sucker!
gives a new meaning to the term snowballed.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

JuNiOrR

TRIBE Member
I mean look at this bear... would you stop it from throwing that snowball...?

ok... I'm stopping now.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
why would anyone support children spitting cum back into the ejaculator's mouth?

Common sense really
Now if they would only address the felching problem in seperate schools..

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Um, am the only one who agrees with this shit?
I hated snowballs when I was a kid. All I wanted was to play in peace and I got hit in the eye once and I had a cut on my eye for 3 weeks that didn't heal because of the moisture.

It's no fun for an 8 year-old to have to experience blood coming from inside an eyelid.

Big deal. They're just doing the whole liability thing. If they condone it and kids get hurt, parents will sue. Simple as that.

lok

TRIBE Member
if you goto a bank in canada and open an account, you can walk outside after and get a FUCKING SNOWBALL.

Isnt that ridiculous?

Bowling for frosty

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Read between the lines, people.

It's the same reason why we can't have Water Day at camp anymore. Kids will slip, break an arm and parents will be ALL OVER US.

I don't know why people are so quick to point fingers at the school. I've heard the backlash. Hey, I think the school system here is a little nutty too but there are also really really really insane parents out there.

JuNiOrR

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
Read between the lines, people.

It's the same reason why we can't have Water Day at camp anymore. Kids will slip, break an arm and parents will be ALL OVER US.

I don't know why people are so quick to point fingers at the school. I've heard the backlash. Hey, I think the school system here is a little nutty too but there are also really really really insane parents out there.
yep and where there is a way to sue and make money... it will be done... I just feel really bad for the kids in school today that won't be able to enjoy or hurt themselves as we once did...

kinda like the no peanut butter sandwiches in school... makes perfect sense... but it's sad.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I mean I really like Reese Pieces at camp and we ate them anyway. But as soon as I saw people ballooning up, I thought twice.

It's a different time. We weren't out to kill back then. I think kids are a little more rough nowadays. When they throw a snowball, it's pretty damn brutal. I've seen kids get pelted (I live across from two schools) and despite this "ban," it's not going to stop.

As they said, the Board made it clear that whatever kids did outside of the property wasn't their bag. Which proves that it's not kids getting hurt that they actually care about but the prevention of an angry dad comin' in and slapping the school with a lawsuit.

You know they banned "Merry Christmas!" too in some school boards in the states. Actually, my kids told me that they aren't even allowed to say it and they go to Pope Paul II!!! It's un-PC and makes ethnic kids feel left out.

Yeah, maybe if Christmas wasn't crammed down our throats as a big giant shit-covered candy cane every year, us "ethnic" kids wouldn't have to feel so left out from the "joy."

Anyway, I'm rambling now!

Access

TRIBE Member
I just want to know how they got a kid trapped inside a giant snowball???????? That's got to be impossible

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Tearer

Schools have had problems with snowballs in the past. In December, a child was mistakenly trapped in a giant snowball his friends were rolling in their school yard in nearby Niagara Falls. Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation was required to revive him.
As opposed to... :confused:

snowLOLs are banned!

derek

TRIBE Member
i love snowball fights. one time a girl clocked me in the eye with a slush ball, and it swelled up. so i took about 5 snowballs, and put them in the deep freezer in our basement. in the summer, i invited to over to go swiming, and unleashed the barage of snowballs as she got out to dry off. ahhh the good ol days.

peace,

derek

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MalGlo
everyone needs to watch "The Dog Who Stopped the War"
ya lousy anglophone! ;)

It's called "La Guerre des Tuques".

Such an awesome childhood movie. :D

Pete <- went to french school as a kid.

kat

TRIBE Member
my elementary school had that rule

kids were making snow balls, and melting them a bit in their hands so they would turn icy. those things faaaucking hurt

for a while they let us have targets..and you could only throw snowballs at the thing. but after a while they said "just dont pick up the snow at all"

they also banned red rover
after my friend marla broke her arm playing it.
i still think it had more to do with our schoolyard being made up of concrete than the game itself..but meh?

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
When I was knee high to a grasshopper they use to have a "snowball zone" in our play ground. If you didn't want to be involved in the violence then you stayed up on top of the hill and played house in the snow forts with the girls. Of course some bully would always come up, steal my hat and run into the snowball zone with it so I'd have to take two or three in the face in order to retrieve it.

BUT IT MADE ME THE STRONG PERSON I AM TODAY!

That reminds me, I've got to make an appointment with my therapist.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders