• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

CN tower Wa chou Kuso des or Suck it bitches toyko wins the tallest hieght

swilly

TRIBE Member
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...ageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

Tokyo spire latest rival to CN Tower
Mar. 15, 2006. 05:10 AM
BILL TAYLOR
FEATURE WRITER

Size really only matters when you're no longer No. 1.

And the CN Tower, celebrating three decades as the phallic symbol to end them all, could soon be put in the shade by younger and taller towers.

Towers of Power

These new architectural marvels aren't built yet — as CN Tower general manager Jack Robinson is quick to point out — and may not stack up to their advance billing.

Still, the writing is on the wall.

Sooner or later, someone will look down on what is currently the world's tallest free-standing structure and say, "That's all you've got — 553 metres?"

Six Japanese broadcast networks announced plans yesterday for a 600-metre-tall tower in Tokyo, set to be completed in 2011.

The newspaper Yomiuri reportedly boasted that it would be the world's tallest, but it has no lack of competition.

The United Arab Emirates' Burj Dubai tower, started in 2004 and expected to be finished by 2009, will soar to about 705 metres, its builders claim. Add in the communications mast on the roof and it could be closer to 800 metres.

To convincingly beat that, the CN Tower would have to sit the Eiffel Tower on its shoulders.

Right now our closest rival is the Taipei 101 tower in Taiwan, a relative shrimp at only 509 metres.

The world's tallest man-made structure is a 628.8-metre TV mast in North Dakota.

Poland used to boast the champion with a radio mast in Warsaw that was 645.4 metres tall. Built in the Iron Curtain era in1974, it collapsed in 1991.

CN Tower staff were a little surprised at the phone calls received yesterday about the Tokyo project.

"We already went through this when the Dubai tower was announced," said one. "It's nothing new and it's not the tallest."

Even so, Robinson issued a statement in which he refutes any shortcomings:

"The CN Tower appears a number of times in the pages of the Guinness Book of World Records, originally in 1975... After all this time, there is no building, tower or freestanding structure on Earth taller than the CN Tower and this engineering marvel continues to thrill visitors from all over the world.

"From time to time we hear of building projects designed to surpass the height of the CN Tower but to date no such endeavour has been completed.

"If such a project comes to completion, we will continue to remain proud of having held this record for 30 years..."

No word on whether either of the new structures will offer such attractions as the CN Tower's revolving restaurant, 351 metres off the ground, or a glass floor that rewards anyone with the nerve to stand on it with a view straight down 340 metres.

Second place doesn't cut it, even when it comes to relatively stunted condo towers.

In 2004, Toronto condominium developer Harry Stinson admitted that he desperately wanted his planned Sapphire Tower downtown to trump New Yorker Donald Trump's proposed 325-metre skyscraper.

It's a guy thing.

With files from Star wire services

swilly

TRIBE Member
i am actually sad because my dads now deceased friend was the one who worked on the final stages of the tower. He was one of if not thee top crane operator in the whole country and those last stages were all done by him ( Winston young).

However, at least it is the japanese who are beating us not the fucking yanks

swilly san

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Who cares if they have a taller tower? I don't.

People don't come to Toronto to see the tower. IF they come to Toronto, then they come and see.

Maybe in the 80's people made a trip just for that, but now I doubt people are travelling here just to see a building.

They're coming here for SARS.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
swilly said:
And the CN Tower, celebrating three decades as the phallic symbol to end them all, could soon be put in the shade by younger and taller towers.
Toronto already lost its biggest knob when Mel Lastman retired.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

The Peej

TRIBE Member
Come to Toronto and visit the CN tower! Where you'll have fantastic unobstructed god-like views of such beautiful attractions as:

The Gardner Expressway,
The Lakeshore Condo develpment boom
And
The Union Station railroad mess!!

acheron

TRIBE Member
to quote Cindi Lauper, "Money changes everything".

In Dubai, where they have more money than sense, anything is possible.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
I'm going to assume that, like the great pyramids of Egypt, aliens are helping to build this tower in Dubai.

Chicago Kid

TRIBE Member
Dude, my buddy just forwarded me an e-mail the other day showing all the developments going on in Dubai and it was some fucking reeediculous number like either $80 or $800 billion USD...either way, that's in-fuckin-sane!

All the materials for those man-made islands (desert palm and world) they're shipping/trucking in from neighboring countries, like these huge rocks from some quarry just over the border in Saudi Arabia, I think it was, to build up and reinforce all the shit they're dredging up from the ocean floor and spitting out. Watch that special on super-structures or machines or whatever it is that's on the National Geographic channel - it's incredible what they're doing with those Dutch ships.

SJN

TRIBE Member
Chicago Kid said:
Dude, my buddy just forwarded me an e-mail the other day showing all the developments going on in Dubai and it was some fucking reeediculous number like either $80 or $800 billion USD...either way, that's in-fuckin-sane!

All the materials for those man-made islands (desert palm and world) they're shipping/trucking in from neighboring countries, like these huge rocks from some quarry just over the border in Saudi Arabia, I think it was, to build up and reinforce all the shit they're dredging up from the ocean floor and spitting out. Watch that special on super-structures or machines or whatever it is that's on the National Geographic channel - it's incredible what they're doing with those Dutch ships.
Dubai is transforming itself into a massive tourist destination. They know the oil will run out one day, and are hedging their bets. It already is a very popular tourist destination for Europeans. For the moment (North) Americans can't really see past the fact that it's in the Middle East, and also assume everything is ridiculously expensive.

Give it another 10 or 20 years and that place will be tourist mecca. Amazing what they're doing with that place.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Incrimin8 said:
800m today....1000m tomorrow
A new company, embarking on a massive construction project to generate extremely expensive electricity in the middle of the Australian desert? I'm not holding my breath on this one.