• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Club Suggestions for NYC?

massiv

TRIBE Member
I'm heading down to New York City over easter weekend, staying in Manhattan. When I went before I checked out Crobar (which was OK, saw a surprise unannounced performance by Motorcycle when I was there!), as well as some other places.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with NYC, and can suggest some good bars and clubs? I'd be looking for a solid place, lots of action, great progressive or hard house sounds. Alternatively, smaller or more soulful venues, where I might be able to catch some more up-beat morales-style house or something similar.

If you know of some cool lounges or restaurants, let me know too!

Thanks!

Massiv.

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
For what you're looking for maybe go to Crowbar (Danny T and Mauro Picotto.), or try Pacha (Laylo and Bushwacka, Green Velvet downstairs). There is also something going on at Love if I remember correctly which is a cool venue.

rhythmism..com will help you in your quest.

Im not even going to touch the restaurant thing, but a suggestion would be to get a Zagat and have fun!

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
josh, can you tell me what pacha is like?
i am strongly considering going to see jeff mills there, but i am getting pretty weird vibes from the website photo gallery. seems very guv-like.
is it brutal?

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Booty Bits said:
i am strongly considering going to see jeff mills there, but i am getting pretty weird vibes from the website photo gallery. seems very guv-like.
is it brutal?

Yes, yes, and yes. :D

But I guess its contingent on the party. I think that Mills would bring out the best in the place to say the least. I should be there for that one (maybe).

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
hahaha yeah i figured as much. damn!

but really, who am i kidding... i'm not gonna let that stop me from seeing Mills.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
An ideal situation would be that he plays downstairs and someone plays tracky vocal prog upstairs, thus diverting the muscle marys from the real party and giving everyone room to move about.

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
Booty Bits said:
is it brutal?
You know, If he came to The Guv..I think I would go.

For some more intimate fun times try Sullivan Room. Give it a google.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
massiv said:
Alternatively, smaller or more soulful venues, where I might be able to catch some more up-beat morales-style house or something similar.
You might want to check out CIELO.

It's a great little space that generally caters to a housier crowd. The sound system is outstanding too. They have Louie Vega on Wednesday night (Apr 12), and Francois K on Monday (Apr 17). I've never heard of the DJs playing on the other nights.

http://cieloclub.com

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
TheRunningBoard said:
You know, If he came to The Guv..I think I would go.

For some more intimate fun times try Sullivan Room. Give it a google.
Meh, I like the Sully, but something about it....

This coming from the guy who was there 2 consecutive Saturdays (Switch then Tejada)

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
JOSHB said:
Meh, I like the Sully, but something about it....

This coming from the guy who was there 2 consecutive Saturdays (Switch then Tejada)
I kind of agree on the "meh", I had a few amazing times there, and then a few shit times..but I always seemed to go back for some reason.

octo

TRIBE Member
AdRiaN said:

It's a great little space that generally caters to a housier crowd. The sound system is outstanding too. They have Louie Vega on Wednesday night (Apr 12), and Francois K on Monday (Apr 17). I've never heard of the DJs playing on the other nights.

wed night looks to be a HOT party

Jazzanova! is playing thursday.

Nicolas Matar, who owns the club and plays Saturdays, has been in TO a couple of times in the past year. There a couple of his mixes (mp3) available for download on the cielo site.

Big Boss

TRIBE Promoter
AdRiaN said:

I brought Nicolas Matar here twice last year. He is the co-owner and lead music programmer for Cielo. He plays pretty deep and his mixing is flawless.

The other guy, Willie Graff, plays more minimal and he's a young kid. They mixed a Cielo cd last year that you can sample on Traxsource.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

xopus

TRIBE Member
whoa whoa whoa

jeff mills

at pacha

when?

when?

when?

more info please....i'm trying not to get overly excited without knowing anything.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
xopus said:
whoa whoa whoa

jeff mills

at pacha

when?

when?

when?

more info please....i'm trying not to get overly excited without knowing anything.
he's there the last weekend in april. check the pacha website for details and to buy tickets.

re: the sully, i quite like it in there, but the bathroom situation is just crap. i spend half my night in that stupid lineup. and i haaaate lineups.

xopus

TRIBE Member
Fuck YA. i am totaly going to that.
are you in town for it?

The backroom bathroom at sully usually has a shorter line. plus the back room is just a cool spot to chill.

I went to Cafe Deville for Robots on friday. a nice little intimiate event and bar. defiantly hit it up if you are in town when its going on.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i'm actually trying to push my start date on my summer job back a week so that i can come down to see mills! (among other things in nyc)

i've never gone into the back room at the sully cuz i don't feel cool enough.

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
massiv said:
I'm heading down to New York City over easter weekend, staying in Manhattan. When I went before I checked out Crobar (which was OK, saw a surprise unannounced performance by Motorcycle when I was there!), as well as some other places.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with NYC, and can suggest some good bars and clubs? I'd be looking for a solid place, lots of action, great progressive or hard house sounds. Alternatively, smaller or more soulful venues, where I might be able to catch some more up-beat morales-style house or something similar.

If you know of some cool lounges or restaurants, let me know too!

Thanks!

Massiv.
hey I think the last time you were there, I think David Waxman was probablly spinning (he had motorcylce there) anyway he is spinning again this sat, a big group of us are heading down... it is his new ultra electro cd launch party, pm me if you need guest list....

Last edited:

into_dust

TRIBE Member
SHELTER AND DON'T FORGET UR BABYPOWDER...

Best afterhrs in the city truss it...

P.S Tell the black lady I say wasssup...*she's allllways there and she mooooves like a mothahfuckah have fun...

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
into_dust said:
SHELTER AND DON'T FORGET UR BABYPOWDER...

Best afterhrs in the city truss it...

P.S Tell the black lady I say wasssup...*she's allllways there and she mooooves like a mothahfuckah have fun...

There are black people in NY?