1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Club district dwindling, report says

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by solacevip, Aug 16, 2010.

1. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Club district dwindling, report says

680News staff | Mon Aug 16, 4:34 PM

The Toronto Club District had almost 90 nightclubs in the eight-square block north of Richmond to Wellington and from Simcoe to Spadina at it's peak five years ago, The Toronto Star has reported.

Today, there are only 30 clubs left and one could be being replaced by a 36-storey condo building at the corner of Peter and Richmond.

Adam Vaughn the councillor of Ward 20, said the era of the big box nightclub has come and gone and the area just isn't cool any more.

The community council will be voting on the proposal to get rid of the club tomorrow.

2. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

do they still have those raves like in the old days.

3. deepfunkysoul

deepfunkysoul TRIBE Promoter

Not in the club district, all the parties are now held in private venues or lofts and they are jam packed. All Vaughan has done is pushed the parties underground like the good ol days.

I think the real reason so many clubs are dying isn't because the scene is dying I think a lot of it has to do with the 905 syndrome. True clubbers don't go to clubs to be in pictures every week sipping grey goose. They go where the music is.

Club district is all about posers and thats what I feel is killing it.

4. erika

erika TRIBE Member

So it may actually be safe to go there in a couple of years, who knows?
    I walked along Queen from Spadina to close to University on Friday night around 2:30 - it was scary and blech - some idiot stole my hat and it took me a while to get it back.

5. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

We could blame it on the 905ers. But even in the late 90s, most of the people going to the parties around here came from the surrounding burbs. Personally, I came from Northern Ontario.

No matter what generation you come from, when you start heading past 30, there will always be this obnoxious group of young kids that take over and turn your beloved scene into something that you don't particularly like.

It's the rule.

:p

6. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    yeah but I often find myself partying with young kids and they are goofy/silly/fun/sometimes a bit loud, but nothing like the ones in the club district - the kinds of guys who think it's fun to kick mail/newsboxes when they get out of a club.
    If they got laid more and were served wine with dinner they would be much more civilized, but alas...

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

you goddamn 705'er!!! :D

8. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

I live at Richmond & Simoce and honestly, I love the area and the close proximity to almost anything you need in this city within a 5 min cab ride although, when I buy a place, I doubt it will be in that area but for now, I'm loving it.

Weekends are still a gong show for the most part around the area but it's nothing like it used to be a few years ago which is fine by us!

Those new condos are going up right beside my building.

I'm just wondering what is replacing Montana's & Circa.

P.S. Living 120 seconds from Burrito Boys, well, you just can't put a price tag on that!

9. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Montanas = Shoppers Drugs Mart I bet

Circa = some other phoney investment / money laundering scheme funding like a gino bar, a restaurant. Maybe even another Shoppers Drugs Mart to compete with the one at Montanas

10. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

this is good news!

11. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

You really think another Shoppers considering they just opened a HUGE one at Queen & Peter?

I'm still holding out/hoping for a grocery store, I think with the area changing to more of a residential area, a grocery store is a must.

12. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Yes, cause if there's anything that downtown is hurting for is another insanely bright makeup counter and overpriced consumer goods.

13. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Totally! They are aiming to put 1 or 2 next to every starbucks!

14. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

Well, as long as they put it on top of a Tims, it's all good

:p

15. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

queen and peter? do you mean king and peter?

16. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

Why do you have to make partying so complicated?

Going out should be about 2 things, drinking beer and kicking ass.

17. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

No, there is one right on Queen, a block east of Peter, opened about 2 months ago...huge one, 2 stories

18. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

where the parking lot used to be opposite HMV on the north side of queen near john. used to be a Caban or whatever.

19. erika

erika TRIBE Member

oooh, you sound like totally my type - let's hook up :p

20. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

I thought partying was a variation of s3x, music, drugs, and politics

21. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Bernie's right ^^ , plus Rock concerts are now about complaining about promoters trying their damndest to adhere to outrageous insurance clauses and liquor laws. (god forbid they should be protected when someone sues them for millions because they slipped and fell while they were drunk)

22. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

So what is it is the Club District in decline, or is the condo market?

23. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

My backyard has been one of the best party spots of the year.technics1200

I have no use for the club district downtown but i've notice it's pushed alot of people to college street. It was already a really busy street at night.

24. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

this is a good question and a good point.

25. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Is it the condo district or the club market that's in decline?